Convicted Murderer Sues Wikipedia

HardOCP News

[H] News
A convicted murderer is suing Wikipedia to have his name removed from the article detailing the crime he committed. He is also seeking legal fees and compensation for emotional suffering. Yeah, this seems fair. :rolleyes:

Lawyers for Wolfgang Werle, of Erding, Germany, sent a cease-and-desist letter (.pdf) demanding removal of Werle’s name from the Wikipedia entry on actor Walter Sedlmayr. The lawyers cite German court rulings that “have held that our client’s name and likeness cannot be used anymore in publication regarding Mr. Sedlmayr’s death.”

AFAIK any crime someone commit is public information.

It's a damn shame he didn't consider his victim's emotional (and physical) suffering.

According to the article, it seems Germany has a law that prevents media from using full details regarding individuals that commit such crimes. What a joke, the guys shouldn't even be out on parole after receiving life sentences. :rolleyes:

German media have already ceased using Werle’s full name regarding the attack. Jennifer Granick, an attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, says German publications must also alter their online archives in a bid to comport with laws designed to provide offenders an avenue to “reintegrate back into society.”

Jeebus forbid anything negative might happen to a convicted murderer. Why doesn't anyone ever care how they feel?! }:[]

wow talk about pathetic attempt to make a quick buck

Granick said the First Amendment protects San Francisco-based Wikipedia. But it could find itself in the same position as Yahoo, which has been fined millions by a French court for allowing users to auction Nazi paraphernalia, which is illegal in France.

Heaven forbid they order their ISP to block Wikipedia or any references to Nazi paraphernalia online (surely Wikipedia isn't the sole retail outlet of such things), but instead let's sue Wikipedia for millions.

wow, thats kinda stupid..... I dont want my name used, but people do anyway, sheesh. If I told people at work to stop calling me, that wouldnt go over to well.! :)

Wiki's based here in the US. I doubt they can enforce a German law here in any way. Send them a statement a'la " Screw you..........and while your at it, tell Wolfgang he can hang himself in his cell too".

They also block alot of discussion about Nazi and WW2... because that will solve hate crime issues still occurring in Geremany today against minorities.

Give me my potato pancakes and octoberfest but you can keep the blood soup and whackjobs

What about the news articles talking about the suit? I now know the guys name (and saw his picture) who killed that actor...

If not for the suit I never would have known.

Oh yea, [H]ardOCP is now in violation of German law too for quoting the article..

:p

Well look at the upside, it's Europe, they typically don't sue very hard. Meaning he'll get 500 euros and a sandwich for his suffering.

What a douche bag, or should I say "Deutsch bag"? :D

I hope this d-bag can RIH (rest in hell) along w/ the DC sniper.

I think that law is to prevent HIM from profiting from his name. I think he's gonna lose.

If that's what the law says, then it's what the law says. The question is whether WP must submit to a German court ruling and whether WP is considered a "publication" or "media" as his lawyers' own letters are published and publicized information regarding the crime and likeness.

Solution to the problem:

if you don't like it, we have your prison cell all warm and cozy waiting for you.

There has to be an acceptable mistake rate.

That rate drops off significantly the less choice the recipients have in the affair. If you feel a vaccine is too dangerous, you can opt out of it. If you feel you're about to be wrongly put to death by lethal injection, you're screwed, you're going to die.

If I were that lawyer, then I would've edited the wiki myself and pocketed the cash. See how awesome I am that I don't even need to use cease-and-desist letters?

Back