Converting my all my servers to linux

Zygomatic

Weaksauce
Ok, I've said I was gonna do this for a while, but I really am this time ;). I'm trying to convert most of my network over to Linux. The servers I wanna run are, UT, UT2004, any other game servers that run good on linux, FTP, SSH, Time, Shoutcast, and I'de really like an IRC server, but they look like they are a bitch to setup. Also I have my Website / Forum on Windows 2000 atm, and I really don't wanna mess with it atm since I'm sure it will take me a while to get it all workin. So, my first question is, which disto would you guys recommend for a server? I want a distro that has most of the dependencies for all the servers I want to install already installed. So any suggestions?

Just about any popular distro would do, but I'm partial to Redhat's offerings, RHEL, Fedora, CentOS.

First pick would be Fedora Core 6.

Another vote for Debian here.

Unless you want to dedicate a lot of time to fixing your servers from "security updates and bug fixes," I'd avoid Fedora like the plague. CentOS/RHEL are much more robust alternatives if you want an RPM-based system.

Ok, so I guess Ima go with Debian lol. I have a couple of servers I am working on ATM, I think Ima put the UT, SSH, and NTP on my dual PII 300. Since this is an older system would you guys recommend getting the newest version or an older one? I am probably not going to setup any type of GUI, and will be doing everything through the command line. Also does Debian come with SSHd and NTPd? Any links or documentation would be greatly appriciated.

Since a PII-300 is effectively i686, I'd just go ahead with the latest version; no reason not to.

Debian doesn't come with SSHd or NTPd on the default install (why should it?), but they are both trivial to install.

tamasrepus said:
Since a PII-300 is effectively i686, I'd just go ahead with the latest version; no reason not to.

Debian doesn't come with SSHd or NTPd on the default install (why should it?), but they are both trivial to install.
I was just hoping it would since some of the Distro's I've tried had them pre-installed. So any suggestions for SSHd or NTPd servers? Links are GREATLY appriciated, yes I'm lazy...

as root:
apt-get install sshd

I think that is the right one, if not, apt-get search sshd

it's just ssh

it installs the ssh server from the OpenBSD project. Thats as good as an ssh server as you will ever get.

and, if you are going to search for packages, the command would be

apt-cache search searchstring
Dew said:
as root:
apt-get install sshd

I think that is the right one, if not, apt-get search sshd

Gentoo.

Why install shit you don't need?

net-ftp/proftpd
net-misc/openssh
net-misc/openntpd (time)
media-sound/shoutcast-server-bin (although icecast is probably better)
net-irc/unrealircd (for IRC with good docs)

There's also apache, php, ruby, perl and all sorts of good stuff for CGI.

I chose Debian for the VPS I bought for hosting (over RHEL, CentOS, White Box, RH, Ubuntu, Fedora), too bad I'm just too lazy/busy lately to work on the site more.

vsFTPd is a good FTP server.
openSSH is the standard SSH server on most Linux distributions.
openntpd for NTP server (if you meant Network Time Protocol)
irc daemon - I dunno, probably unrealircd? However, unrealircd is probably harder to configure and use than some other ones.
Nullsoft Shoutcast if you want the real Shoutcast deal.

doh said:
Gentoo.

Why install shit you don't need?

I'll second this, but not for the reason that you listed. Gentoo is as far as I can tell, the most flexible distro out there and offers unheard of options. If this system will be outward facing (which it looks like it will be from the services you listed) I would take a serious consideration to the Gentoo-Hardened project. The nice thing is that the hardened profiles are a bit more minimal in comparison to the standard profiles, so you'll probably end up with a slimmer system (read: less packages to manage/worry about). Plus it also uses a bunch of proactive security measures (SSP ftw). Theres not much you can do for binary programs like UT, but for anything source based you will have additional protection that you don't get in any other major distro. This is not an end-all solution to security issues, but it sure does help and is nice when instead of getting rooted you get a nice little message saying a stack smashing attack was thwarted :D

tamasrepus said:
Another vote for Debian here.

Unless you want to dedicate a lot of time to fixing your servers from "security updates and bug fixes," I'd avoid Fedora like the plague.

I didn't say run in rawhide!

Fedora ranks 3rd on distowatch, Debian, 7th. I've been running Fedora since core 1, no issues.

Fedora needs to slow down in my opinion. Their release cycles are way too soon! Debian on the other hand could hurry up a bit.

Back