convert from ntfs to fat32

DruSi3r

Gawd
Guys,
Heres the deal, I am currently running windows xp home on ntfs. I am going to reformat and would like to install a dual boot to winxp and mandrake. I have read that inorder to access my files while under linux i need to format in fat32. How do I convert back to fat32 from ntfs?

A little background. I use Bit Torrent (for example to d/l the linux isos). Yesterday i installed my a firewall Zone Alarm Pro and peer guardian. I also imported the p2p block list to my block list. Now when I open certian programs my firewall lets me know that its sending a ping to [email protected]. These programs include BT (azureus client), winamp, colin mcrae 4, etc. These are all legal programs. I tried to block this ip but then it wont let me suft the net or use BT. I assume this ip is where the cox dns is? Should i try to clone my mac address in the router. Oh yea I have a WRT54G linksys router. My plan was to reformat using linux and BT partion to dl files and windows to play games watch movies and the htpc side of things. SOrry this is long winded. Oh and Ive never used linux before but i bet it will be fun. Any help or comments are appreciated.
drew

I have switched to NTFS permanently because 1, all my old boot disks from older Windows died, so I use the XP cd to format/reinstall now. It doesn't give me the option of changing NTFS back to FAT32. You can always try programs like Partition Magic but I suggest you ask around a little more before trying those programs. My friends have had bad experiences and killed some harddrives in the process of partitioning.

i'm not sure that you can convert ntfs back to fat32. besides, linux can read ntfs partitions fine. last i checked, write support was experimental though.

as mentioned, linux can read an ntfs partition well enough, it's writing that is buggy.

i'd stongly advice making a data partion that is fat32, and keep your windows xp partition as ntfs. in a windows world, ntfs is just much better than fat32.

Ever since 2.4. something kernel, Linux can read NTFS just fine (writing is a whole different story).

Either wipe it and create a FAT32 if you want read/write access from both windows and linux, or keep it NTFS and just read from Linux and make a separate FAT32 elsewhere.

If you are truly desparate, you can use something like Partition Magic; I think it can change it back to FAT32 from NTFS, though I don't encourage this.

okay so let me see if i have the procedure correct...
insert winxp and boot from cd, delete the existing partion (the whole drive), create a new 70 gig and 10 gig partion (the drive is 80gigs) and reformat both(quick or full?). Install winxp to the 70gig. get xp up and running and later install mandrake on the 10 gig. I d/led ver10 (2100mb in 3hr using BT btw). Insert the first iso and follow the instructions? Questions...does this version support ntfs? do i need to convert the 10 gig part to fat32 at some point or does mandrake handle that? Sorry im a noob remember. Thanks again guys i love u all

drew

Originally posted by DruSi3r
okay so let me see if i have the procedure correct...
insert winxp and boot from cd, delete the existing partion (the whole drive), create a new 70 gig and 10 gig partion (the drive is 80gigs) and reformat both(quick or full?).

i'd create three partitions
1) 10 GB ntfs win xp partiton
2) 10 GB linux partition
3) ~58 GB fat32 'media' partition for things you want to read/write by both

there's more than one way to skin a cat, and many ways you can partition your set-up. but i think the most vital thing is to have one fat32 partition (regardless of size) that either os can write to.

actually, i have 200gigs total, an 80 gig and a 120gig. My thinking was to format the 120 as fat32 and the 80 as 70gigs ntfs and 10 gigs fat32. Install winxp on the70gig partition and mandrake on the 10. This will allow my bios to see the primary hd and 2 os's and give me the option of which one to load. Further, progams and games can be installed on the 70gig while movies, mp3s can go on the 120 that either os can reach. Will this work? Ive been told that under the control panel-administrative tools-computer management-disk management, i will be able to convert back to fat 32 true or false? Revised plan:
Format the 120 as fat32 (with my current os).
Boot from cd and full format the 80 as ntfscreating the 10 and 70 gig partitions, install xp to the 70.
Get everything up and running, use disk management to convert the 10gig back to fat 32.
using something like deamon tools, load mandrake on the 10 gig. Save and movies, prog, mp3s to the 120gig and become a linux geek. Corrections and revisions welcome.
thanks
drew

if i install mandrake on the 120gig will be bios still give me the option of choosing OSes? How do i make winxp the secondary os, do i do this while installing linux?

ah, now i smell what you're cooking.
i'd be temped to put a little more for the linux partition since you have the space, but 10 should be plenty.

for what you're talking about now, you don't need to convert anything on the 80 GB drive. the mandrake installer will be able to take unused space on the 80 GB drive and make whatever sized linux partitions you want to put on it. there will be at least two, the root partition and the swap partition (512 MB should be plenty of space unless you are going to do lot media encoding and editing and want to avoide a small performace hit). you don't want the linux parition to be fat32, but rather Reiserfs ( google linux partition types if you aren't sure about it - and yes there are others, but Reiser seems to be the most popular )

and if the 120 GB has data on it now, in ntfs form, i'd back-up before trying to convert it to fat32. i've never done the conversion, so i can't speak to the data integrity.

dual booting. you can install linux on a secondary ide drive without much fuss. you will use either grub or lilo as boot loaders (not the bios) , and mandrake should set it up easily enough. there are differences, but none that a newbie should worry about. in fact mandrake should auto configure this for you once you tell it what partition has windows xp on it, and configure which is the default operating system.

while windows can be booted from a secondary drive, there are some extra commands that need to be passed from the boot loader. in short, just keep xp on the primary drive.

i didn't know it was possible to do that. i would most definitely try and avoid it though if you can. i'll never use FAT again. The NTFS file system rules! Even when you get a sudden reboot or something crazy and you have to "power button" restart your system because you're messing around like a punk. with NTFS, i haven't once yet had that stupid check disc utility screen popup that says my boot drive has errors and needs to be checked for accuracy. My stuff just restarts, loads right up, and bam. No hassles at all! When I used FAT32, I would get errors in the file system ALL THE TIME! I always had to run checkdisk.

And that's only the begining. ;)

yea i think im going to give up on my 2100mb mandrake download and wait 4 ntfs support. With fat32 I can only make 32gb partitions. I dont want 4 partitions for a 120gb drive. And the whole reason I was going to do this was becasue of this problem where opening certain programs sends a request (stopped by firewall) to an ip belonging to [email protected]. I dont like that. The same thing is going to happen on linux b/c its most likely the mac address of the modem they are queing on. I am still going to reformat only because Ive already burned 6dvds or movies and isos off and transferred 30gigs of mp3s using slow ass 802.11b. I have a G router and my roommate was too cheap to spend the extra 10bucks and get the G card. boo.

i think you are missing a couple things. First of all, it is fat16 that has the 32 gig limit, fat32 can go upto a few terabytes. i would advise making 4 partitions on your hdd(s). 1-windows system and windows only programs ntfs 2-linux root reiserfs 3-linux swap 4-data-things such as music and documents that can be used by either linux or windows fat32
linux can read ntfs fine, i would not use the writing yet though, and fat32 is read/write.

Originally posted by cloaked
First of all, it is fat16 that has the 32 gig limit, fat32 can go upto a few terabytes.
FAT16's limit is actually 2 gigs (32,767 bytes/cluster x 65,536 clusters).
FAT32's theoretical limit is a few terabytes, but I think earlier versions of Windows (9x/ME comes to mind, dunno about Win2K though) have trouble formatting more than 32 gigs I think.

Originally posted by Flying Fox
FAT16's limit is actually 2 gigs (32,767 bytes/cluster x 65,536 clusters).
FAT32's theoretical limit is a few terabytes, but I think earlier versions of Windows (9x/ME comes to mind, dunno about Win2K though) have trouble formatting more than 32 gigs I think.

You can format fat32 partition to huge sizes with partition magic or other OSes, and windows won't have any problems with it. You just can't format them. (A theory is that they want to force people to use ntfs.)

I think it's also because FAT32 is slightly inefficient with high capacity partitions.

It is completely lame that Win XP won't format a partition larger than 32 GB to FAT32, because I have a 60 gig partition I want to make FAT32 so Linux and Windows can both read/write to it.

Guess it's time to get DOS FDISK.

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
I think it's also because FAT32 is slightly inefficient with high capacity partitions.

It is completely lame that Win XP won't format a partition larger than 32 GB to FAT32, because I have a 60 gig partition I want to make FAT32 so Linux and Windows can both read/write to it.

Guess it's time to get DOS FDISK.

It's almost ironic, but I know newfs_msdos in *BSD can do it, so I assume there's a linux tool you can use, too.

Back