Convert from LTSB 1607 to Pro 1909

craigdt

[H]ard|Gawd
I am running Windows 10 LTSB version 1607, which I love, but am starting to miss some of the feature of the newer installs on other machines I have, and some programs (Origin, ugh) won't update since I'm on an older release.

Ironic.

Can I just use the "Change Product Key" tool in Win10 to convert to a Windows 10 Pro installation, and get the updates?

Or do I have to load up a new iso blah blah blah.

I am running Windows 10 LTSB version 1607, which I love, but am starting to miss some of the feature of the newer installs on other machines I have, and some programs (Origin, ugh) won't update since I'm on an older release.

Ironic.

Can I just use the "Change Product Key" tool in Win10 to convert to a Windows 10 Pro installation, and get the updates?

Or do I have to load up a new iso blah blah blah.
you should be able to just feed it a new pro key and the features unlock. i know ive switched a bunch of systems from pro to edu and the changes were basically instant(removed stuff). then use the upgrade assistant to go straight to 1909 and installed the handful of updates for it.

there is also this, if that^^ doesnt work:
You might not be able to, but you can try the following:
  1. Open Registry Editor(WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter)
  2. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion
  3. Change EditionID to Pro (double click EditionID, change value, click OK). In your case it should at the moment show Enterprise
  4. Change ProductName to Windows 10 Pro. In your case it should at the moment show Windows 10 Professional
  5. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion, change the same two values as in steps 3 and 4 above
  6. Close the Registry Editor
  7. Insert the Windows 10 Pro installation media, do an in-place upgrade by launching the setup from desktop (not booting with Windows 10 Pro install media) <--- make a usb stick -pend
  8. When asked, enter your valid Windows 10 Pro product key and select what to keep(settings, personal files and apps, only personal files or nothing)
  9. Windows 10 Pro in-place upgrade will be done now.

Last edited:
So, if I do a re-install using installation media, keeping apps and files, should I detach all the other storage devices to make sure nothing happens to those?
Like an additional SATA ssd and HDD?

Man, this sucks.
Can't keeps my apps and files.
Was hoping I could do this the easy way.

I guess switching versions makes this not possible.

apps.JPG

Last edited:
personally i would get an external hard drive. backup your personal files. then install Enterprise edition. Thats besides LTSB to go [H]ard. You have way more control over updates and telemetry. There are telemetry settings you can't even access in pro. hit me up on a PM if you want some advice.

personally i would get an external hard drive. backup your personal files. then install Enterprise edition. Thats besides LTSB to go [H]ard. You have way more control over updates and telemetry. There are telemetry settings you can't even access in pro. hit me up on a PM if you want some advice.
Even better go super [H]ard and install LTS edition. No more telemetry and total control of updates. And many Windows games also work just fine with Vulcan.

Back