Contrast ratios on various IPS displays and image editting

Skipper007

Limp Gawd
So recently I loaded some photos I had edited onto a friends 15 inch Macbook Pro Retina and it was immediately apparent that my brush work, which I thought was pretty good, wasn't, with very obvious edges. It was like the MBPr image had more contrast and that made every error I made in the brushwork like 10X more visible. I don't think it was the extra resolution either, the errors were more obvious on the MBPr even if I didn't zoom in like I had when I edited the photos.

Now, if I had edited the image on a TN panel or something that might not surprise me, but I edited the images on a 23 inch IPS display, specifically a Asus ML239H I got a good deal on back in 2011. TFT Central measured the ML239H it as having a contrast ratio of 749:1 when they calibrated it, and my brightness and contrast settings are essentially the same as theirs. I had thought that was a pretty good contrast ratio, but the errors that show up so easily on the MBPr are hard to spot on the ML239H.

Do any of you have any idea why this is the case? Is it a matter of hardware or of configuration?

Contrast on the mbp won't be that much better than your monitor, maybe 900-1000. Are you sure your display is properly calibrated? That could make a very big difference -- Macbooks tend to have extremely good factory calibration, as factory calibration goes.

when comparing two displays it is the one that have sharp edges is the one that is most likely badly calibrated

do you have any calibration probe, are those displays calibrated?

Back