Contest Update: What Would You Do With 48 Cores?

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is an update on AMD’s official blog about the company’s What Would You Do With 48 Cores? contest. It seems like the majority of people entered to win are Folders. You have until the 24th of the month to enter to win the four 12-core processor prize package from AMD.

138 entries from Folding@home – one of the largest supercomputing grids in the world, using distributed computing to band people around the world with software that investigates human diseases and disorders such as Alzheimer’s, ALS, Huntington’s, Parkinson’s disease, and various forms of cancers.

Not familiar with the Folding@Home project? Follow this forum link and find out how you can join the [H], the number #1 team on the planet.

Being the IT person for a CAD company brings me to one conclusion .. render server!

Normally I enter these kinds of contests but honestly, I wouldn't have any real legitimate use for that kind of CPU power and I'm almost sure I wouldn't really "help society". I'm personally going to pass on this one but it's nice to see AMD have these sorts of things.

amd probably doesn't know themselves what 48 cores will be good for and asks for ideas for their marketing folks.

Hell, only things that benefit society and/or mankind. There goes my plans of world domination.

Has Folding given any results for research yet?

No matter how you cut it it's going to take some serious power supply (S). Might make a great home heating system as well:)

:: begins waiting for the obligatory "Play Crysis in 320x240 on full settings!" type of comment ::

Seriously, I'd probably run FoH

An entire render farm in one CPU, i don't know what james cameron used, but when doing 3D animation, a CPU like this would be at the top of my wish list.

This is the most obvious answer for me tho, i'm curious as to what the more 'creative' answers would be =)

I'm probably going to get a few rolleyes and flames, but..

Crysis - with everything turned up!

my entry was a good idea in my mind before hand... but sounded lame after I sent it in... I said i'd donate it to the only ISP in canada that is still unlimited transfer to help them support more users and focus there money on fighting the duopoly between rogers and bell trying to shut down open internet :/

The question really comes down to who will actually use it or sell it.
I would say that the Folding guys actually would use it (with enough forum donations to buy the ram and power supplies of cource.).The average human has no way of affording all of the ram, powersupply(s) and harddrives, video card(s) cabling, monster casing and cooling for the beast.
Then there is the cost of electric to power a PC that is hammering away at F@H and trying to keep your house cool with the radiant heat of 20k watts running 24/7. Holy Bajesus!
You would need a second job for the electric bill.
If this was an extension of your penis, you could drop it in a bucket, suck up water and spray it on your back like an elephant!
I would gladly take one and take a out mortgage on my home for the rest of the computer simply to have something better than a small country full of PCs for folding.

Get my fellow alums to pool together some cash, finish the build, then donate it to the alma mater and let the undergrads run wild on some neutronics or thermal hydraulics codes.

Get my fellow alums to pool together some cash, finish the build, then donate it to the alma mater and let the undergrads run wild on some neutronics or thermal hydraulics codes.

Yeah, I'd do the same thing, donate it to the Physics department here at UMD to force them to restart the Computational Physics class.

Since the contest only gives away the mobo and CPUs with a crappy OS, I'd have to take my 48 cores and sell them just to pay the taxes on the winnings.

FTL

Back