Contemplating a Macbook Pro Retina

Grunt

Weaksauce
I have historically used windows based desktops and laptops. Since I have owned several IPhones with latest being the IPhone 6 along with and Ipad I have been thinking about purchasing a Macbook Pro 15". I am retired from the military and the local Marine Corps exchange has the Macbook Pro Retina 15" reduced from $2,500 to $2,250. It has a 512 SSD, I7 CPU, and 16gb of memory. Also the base does not charge sales tax. Some of my fellow co-workers use either the Macbook Air or Pro and they have nothing but praise to say about the product and they made the switch from Windows based laptops.

I always do research when buying a new product. This morning I am reading about the screens of the retina displays having stains. In fact there is a web site titled "Staingate". Reading the Apple forum. owners are stating Apple is not going to cover the discolored screens. Most have reported the screens have started to have what appears to be stains in as little as 7 months.

My concern is investing $2,250 and having to deal with a potential screen issue down the road and it will not be covered under warranty. Has anyone that owns a Macbook Pro with the retina experienced this problem? I am inclined to hold off on my purchase at this point.

If you invested that in a windows based PC you will get a MUCH faster machine.

I'm not sure about the stains, but mine had image retention that wouldn't go away. I'm not sure, perhaps they resolved that. Incredible notebook otherwise though..

I have historically used windows based desktops and laptops. Since I have owned several IPhones with latest being the IPhone 6 along with and Ipad I have been thinking about purchasing a Macbook Pro 15". I am retired from the military and the local Marine Corps exchange has the Macbook Pro Retina 15" reduced from $2,500 to $2,250. It has a 512 SSD, I7 CPU, and 16gb of memory. Also the base does not charge sales tax. Some of my fellow co-workers use either the Macbook Air or Pro and they have nothing but praise to say about the product and they made the switch from Windows based laptops.

I always do research when buying a new product. This morning I am reading about the screens of the retina displays having stains. In fact there is a web site titled "Staingate". Reading the Apple forum. owners are stating Apple is not going to cover the discolored screens. Most have reported the screens have started to have what appears to be stains in as little as 7 months.

My concern is investing $2,250 and having to deal with a potential screen issue down the road and it will not be covered under warranty. Has anyone that owns a Macbook Pro with the retina experienced this problem? I am inclined to hold off on my purchase at this point.

Is the "stain" issue, that you're referring to, the anti-reflective coating coming off? I haven't seen this myself, but MacRumors had a recent article on it, and in the comments several people were posting photos of their laptops, with the problem (Click Here). Some of them are pretty bad.

Is the "stain" issue, that you're referring to, the anti-reflective coating coming off? I haven't seen this myself, but MacRumors had a recent article on it, and in the comments several people were posting photos of their laptops, with the problem (Click Here). Some of them are pretty bad.

Yeah, but it only effects the anti-reflective coating, which was an add-on feature, which has doubly pissed people off. B/C they paid an extra 100-150 (depending) to get a screen that was anti-reflective, and now those anti-reflective screens look like crap.

IIRC, the MBPr's don't have the option of an anti-reflective coating.

Never saw anything like that on my 2012 15" rMBP or 2013 13" rMBP. I'd be pretty upset if it happened; even more so if Apple gave me ANY grief about fixing it for more than $0.01.

Will be watching for any sign of such screen problems on my new one.

I'll give you that my priorities hve changed. My not my income, that's not a limiting factor.

I used to build and upgrade routinely. Once I went MBP there was no need to. As long as my current hardware runs the current software my MBP keeps ticking. No build issues, no software issues, just keeps rocking. I've had the battery replaced and upgraded to an ssd. My 2011 MBP still works fast. Effectively I have to factor the cost over 4 years. That's quite a bargain.

Edit. I did not do a clean install. Just imported from before and I don't need to a clean wipe in the last 4 years. My windows machine that is basically used for gaming could use a clean wipe. I've noticed issues. The iPhone ipad MBP triangle works smoothly.

My late 2013 rMBP has had no screen issues.

It is an excellent laptop, and you can run OSX and Windows (either through Parallels or Boot Camp, which is an awesome plus.) My only caveat to you would be that it may be overkill for normal use like browsing and regular productivity stuff (Office, Adobe stuff, etc) but since you said money is no object, then I guess it doesn't really matter. The new MacBook Air is pretty incredible in terms of power vs. size and battery life. I'd probably go for a loaded Air if you really value portability, otherwise the Pro is a lot more powerful and versatile, especially the one with the Nvidia GT 750M.

I am running the 16gb/512gb SSD version myself by the way.

I found the 15" rMBP (or non-retina version) to be a superb laptop, but overkill for my needs. It'd be an excellent desktop replacement, especially if you're not a heavy gamer. As a secondary or road warrior laptop, it just wasn't a good fit.

I love the portability of the 13' rMBP and it's plenty powerful for all but the most GPU-intensive work. I like the Air, except for its low resolution screen. It just can't compare to the retina, nor is it designed to.

If you plan to run Windows, I'd go with Parallels over Boot Camp.

Yeah, but it only effects the anti-reflective coating, which was an add-on feature, which has doubly pissed people off. B/C they paid an extra 100-150 (depending) to get a screen that was anti-reflective, and now those anti-reflective screens look like crap.

IIRC, the MBPr's don't have the option of an anti-reflective coating.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the matte finish option Apple use to offer, but no longer does? From the sound of it, this anti-reflective coating is something found on all the recent screens:

The long-standing display issue appears to affect several MacBook Pros, including mid-2012 to mid-2014 models sold between June 2012 and present.

Entirely possible I didn't understand the problem, entirely.

Either way, it's crap. A decent anti-reflective coating is not hard to pull off. I have one (technically, two) on my glasses, and they get WAY more abuse than almost any computer screen (I have a 9 month old!~)

I had a 2012 and a 2013, both 15", and never had any screen issues.

Not sure if OP has a microcenter nearby and would consider a 13", but they have a macbook pro w/ retina for $999

Depending on what you need OP, I'd consider the 13 vs 15 for the size differences, but also for specs. If you don't need the quad core, go for the 13". I've owned every model year of 13" and 15" up to the Mid 2014's, and can say that the laptops quality is outstanding. The build quality is top notch, the lightness and thinness is a real treat from day to day, and the screen quality with how colors pop is hands down one of the best in the business. I've never really had any issues with the several laptops I've owned, but be sure to get AppleCare and factor that into the cost. The convenience of being able to bring the device in and get instant help (and even an exchange with no questions asked at times), is a big selling point.

That being said, while they are great laptops, you do pay the Apple tax for wanting one, and you've got to make sure you try to get the best deal possible when looking into one (or anything really). I'd hit up a best buy and get them to price match bhphotovideo.com or amazon.com. That's really your best bet for a good deal, along with the fact that you'll get a military discount as well.

Some of the first Retina 15" MBPs had persistence issues. You'd go from a group of bright windows to a dark screen and you'd still see the faint windows for a while. That was a warranty item. I had my first display replaced for that with no issue. My wife now uses that one and it's fine.

Some of the new rMBPs have had anti-glare peeling problems. And I got unlucky again and mine had that. Again..warranty issue. Took my rMBP in at 10:30 one morning and had it back by 1pm that day with a new display.

Apple..like every other manufacturer...isn't perfect. But they've always fixed any problem I had without issue. Love my Retinas. They go everywhere that I go. Fast, reliable, and the display is amazing with an OS and apps that understand HiDPI.

Probably my biggest issue with my 2012rmbp seems to go along with trying to game on the stupid thing. If I try to run N64 emus they will run fine for a while and then run at a snails pace. I have read some stuff about the GPU throttling due to power constraints and or temperature constraints. For doing actual professional work it seems to do fine though. I use parallels and run labview/multisim and some other stuff without to much issue.

I think it really comes down to what is important for you. I bought a 2014 Macbook Pro 13" retina and it is hands down the best notebook I have ever used. The things that are most important to me are the best parts of having one. For other people, this isn't the case because they value other things that I don't value as much in a notebook. Heres some examples:

Screen.
I LOVE the retina screen. I am a screen junky. I have a 27" 2560x1440 Dell Ultrasharp that I love on my desktop. A good quality display is a MUST for me. The retina screen is the best screen I have ever used (on a any platform). This was the top of my list and just looking at the screen in the Apple store sold me on the MBP. The 13" display has a higher resolution (2560x1600) than my 27" Dell Ultrasharp (2560x1440). Thats nuts.

Touchpad.
I am sick of having to tote around a laptop mouse because the trackpad sucks on my notebook. Even the most jaded windows notebook fanboy will admit that most touchpads on windows laptops suck. The glass touchpad is the polar opposite of most windows trackpads, its actually VERY good.

Keyboard.
I am not extremely picky when it comes to keyboards, but I can't stand typing on a keyboard that flexes under my hands when I type. The backlighting is good too and the keyboard feels ok. I've typed on $3000 notebooks that felt like garbage because of the flex under the keyboard.

Build quality.
Apple pays attention to every little detail. It feels great, its solid, and it is extremely thin for a notebook (close to ultrabook thin). Its the little details too, like if you lay your laptop flat on a desk and open it with one finger, it was engineered so the base won't lift off the table.

Support.
If my Macbook has a problem I can't fix or runs into a hardware issue, I just walk into one of the 3 Apple stores in my area and walk out with either a new laptop or a repaired laptop with nothing out of my pocket. No shipping, no dealing with RMAs, no dealing with customer service calls, and no waiting weeks and weeks for a laptop that might not even get fixed (I'm looking at you Asus).

Could I get more for my money? Yup.
Could I get a laptop that is upgradable? Yup.
Is a Macbook Pro the best laptop for everyone? Nope.
Could I get the same experience with that laptop and all of the things I listed above that are the most important to me? No.

I think it really comes down to what is important for you. I bought a 2014 Macbook Pro 13" retina and it is hands down the best notebook I have ever used. The things that are most important to me are the best parts of having one. For other people, this isn't the case because they value other things that I don't value as much in a notebook. Heres some examples:

Screen.
I LOVE the retina screen. I am a screen junky. I have a 27" 2560x1440 Dell Ultrasharp that I love on my desktop. A good quality display is a MUST for me. The retina screen is the best screen I have ever used (on a any platform). This was the top of my list and just looking at the screen in the Apple store sold me on the MBP. The 13" display has a higher resolution (2560x1600) than my 27" Dell Ultrasharp (2560x1440). Thats nuts.

Touchpad.
I am sick of having to tote around a laptop mouse because the trackpad sucks on my notebook. Even the most jaded windows notebook fanboy will admit that most touchpads on windows laptops suck. The glass touchpad is the polar opposite of most windows trackpads, its actually VERY good.

Keyboard.
I am not extremely picky when it comes to keyboards, but I can't stand typing on a keyboard that flexes under my hands when I type. The backlighting is good too and the keyboard feels ok. I've typed on $3000 notebooks that felt like garbage because of the flex under the keyboard.

Build quality.
Apple pays attention to every little detail. It feels great, its solid, and it is extremely thin for a notebook (close to ultrabook thin). Its the little details too, like if you lay your laptop flat on a desk and open it with one finger, it was engineered so the base won't lift off the table.

Support.
If my Macbook has a problem I can't fix or runs into a hardware issue, I just walk into one of the 3 Apple stores in my area and walk out with either a new laptop or a repaired laptop with nothing out of my pocket. No shipping, no dealing with RMAs, no dealing with customer service calls, and no waiting weeks and weeks for a laptop that might not even get fixed (I'm looking at you Asus).

Could I get more for my money? Yup.
Could I get a laptop that is upgradable? Yup.
Is a Macbook Pro the best laptop for everyone? Nope.
Could I get the same experience with that laptop and all of the things I listed above that are the most important to me? No.
This post is so beautiful. It sums up everything I love about my MBP and my arguments for apple products. If I could give you a cookie or a beer right now I would

I agree except for the comment about getting more for my money. I haven't been able to find more for my money but I've also ascribed various valuation to the points he made.

The gorgeous retina screen has me in temptation, however I think I'd rather wait for the newer model, hopefully Apple has dealt with most reported issues by then and will bring out a perfect machine, like the original unibody macbook pro (IMHO it was a pretty much flawless machine, despite the price).

If you are willing to invest long term into the Apple ecosystem (or just have money to burn), go for it. It's a well made device and it'll run Windows just as well as a non Apple device would (better in some cases). There are no negatives, really, when it comes down to it.

Thanks for all the reply's. Since my last post one of my co-workers is now dealing with the reflective coating pealing off of the screen (15" MBP w/retina) which gives the appearance the screen is stained. As others have stated on the internet Apple is unwilling to help him at this point and contribute the problem to user error. I do not know if this is occurring due to oils or other substance being transmitted from the hands/fingers of the user and when the cover/screen is closed the screen comes in contact with the keyboard. For the time being I think I will hold off making a large investment with the 15" MBP w/retina till a resolution or fix presents itself. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the reply's. Since my last post one of my co-workers is now dealing with the reflective coating pealing off of the screen (15" MBP w/retina) which gives the appearance the screen is stained. As others have stated on the internet Apple is unwilling to help him at this point and contribute the problem to user error. I do not know if this is occurring due to oils or other substance being transmitted from the hands/fingers of the user and when the cover/screen is closed the screen comes in contact with the keyboard. For the time being I think I will hold off making a large investment with the 15" MBP w/retina till a resolution or fix presents itself. Thanks again.
suggest he contact apple corporate over the phone and politely ask why the retail store isn't meeting expectations set by the brand and past experiences due to their otherwise stellar customer service.

I've found that people tend to approach issue with the mindset that there's a problem, fix it, why aren't you fixing it. I tend to have successful outcomes (with Apple it's a 100% success rate over the span of a decade and a myriad of issues with numerous devices--nothing against the products, but I've handled issues for myself as well as most of my family and close friends so I handle a relatively higher amount of devices than most I think) by reframing the issue as a customer service concern. I generally follow the format of: I have a concern, I'm confident this will be resolved because it's always been resolved in the past, the representative and I can agree that we are both working together to reach a resolution rather than being at odds with one another's goals, and that the resolution is simple.

The tricky part seems to hinge on how calm I can remain and confidence in the brand I project to the representative and usually accomplished by reminding the rep of my confusion over the disparity between expectations set by the brand and my current experience and also that I feel we are on the same side of the issue--both having a stake in solving my concern.

This isn't exclusive to Apple. I know for a fact that Dell and HP have separate tracks they can escalate a service call to depending on how the situation is framed (or at least I think I know because that's what was alluded to by their reps when I had issues and they were escalated to what was said to be a different team and then we reached resolution based on specifically "customer expectations" versus when they wouldn't repair the issue when the devices were sent in for repair)

Back