Consumer Reports: iPhone 7 Camera No Better Than iPhone 6s

HardOCP News

[H] News
How can this be? Apple said the iPhone 7 camera is magically delicious, so how can Consumer Reports come to the conclusion that the new camera is no better than the old camera? It's a conspiracy against Apple, that's what it is. ;)

When Apple unveiled the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus earlier this month, the company focused heavily on photography, highlighting the dual rear-facing lenses on the Plus model, optical zoom, and other camera technology. Consumer Reports purchased several iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models at retail on the day of launch, and we've done some initial evaluations in our camera labs. So far, we've found no major leap in camera performance from the iPhone 6s models.

At a certain point most people won't notice the difference...

Though I will say I had the first HTC One... The S6 I have is the first where I think its great for my point and shoot needs, good pictures most of the time.

Reactions: pxc
like this
The LG G4 still takes the best images I've ever seen (or taken myself) with a smartphone camera, that's my personal opinion. I know the Galaxy 7 series has that f/1.7 aperture lens nowadays and the G4 has the f/1.8 but I still say in low light situations the G4 is astonishing in terms of what that image sensor actually produces. I've seen a bunch of images from the iPhone 7/7 Plus so far and I haven't been really impressed by any of them, but I've got some shots taken with a G4 that just blew me away (not shots that I took myself, I'm not that talented or skilled in the photographic arts).

Like MKBHD said in a video he did in the recent past, it's not what's new and cool about smartphones that ends up being discussed anymore - it's the things they're bad at or have problems with that have become what differentiates one from another and I completely agree.

Click bait.. thanks Steve.

Looking at the article it reads

• The 7 Plus's 2x still camera (with the equivalent of a 56mm lens) did produce sharper images than the 1x lenses on the iPhone 6s phones and both iPhone 7 phones.
  • In the limited testing we've done so far, the front-facing selfie camera on the 7 Plus was sharper than the one on the iPhone 7. We'll look into this further, since Apple has not indicated that the selfie cameras on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are different.
  • We have not yet assessed the phones' video capabilities—that testing will be done over the next few days. And Apple's most enticing upgrade, the 7 Plus's new portrait mode that produces shallow depth-of-field effects, won't be available until a software update later this year. We will report on that when it is released to the public.

Would you post a review of lets say a proc and only do it half assed? I would hope not. Thats what this dude did to just drive traffic to the site IMO. Either test the whole thing and than review it or do not from my point of view.

overall features of the phone which users may not notice.

• The software looks at the two 12-megapixel pictures for every shot and combines the best parts — Apple calls this technique “fusion.”
  • A new sensor
  • new lenses

if a company changes just one thing the marketing department of ANY company will slap the word new / better / improved all over it, no?

The article said the 1x camera on the 7, which is the same as the 6S, had the same performance when comparing only the 1x camera. Well no shit, it's basically the same camera.

The benefit of the new camera on the 7 is the second camera which adds optical zoom capabilities, which the article says does generate better pictures.

Nice clickbait

they're all out of ideas.

i'm waiting for the day we have dslr quality photos in a phone, even in low light

Don't understand the reason why people hate apple products on here soo much, they make amazing phones, get over it lol.

I'm not a mac fan myself but I effin love their phones, always great and nicely built.

The LG G4 still takes the best images I've ever seen (or taken myself) with a smartphone camera, that's my personal opinion.

Mine too. Only problem is that it's in the G4. Many, many bootlooped phones out there, including the one I sent in two weeks ago. Hope my refurb holds up... the camera really is fantastic.

I'm wondering when Nikon or Canon will break and start to fully offer their skills and expertise to smartphone cameras.

Personally for how multipurpose these smart phones have gotten, I believe that we are reaching peak camera. :p

Probably consumer reports doesn't know how to use the camera. Shooting at f/1.8 makes shooting in low light significantly better. Shooting in RAW makes a world of difference in post edits. Mine comes in the next few days. So I'll be doing my tests that will be better than CR.

All of the latest flagship smartphones take decent pictures. If all you're interested in is great pictures buy a real camera.
I agree, I am waiting a bit for the 1000-2000$ now equivalent cameras to be cheaper.. I wonder about lenses on those beasts though, seems hi quality lenses are hi quality lenses, maybe they can't really make them for cheap.
In the 400$ range for cameras its been tons and tons of progress,. I buy a camera ~x5 years, and it just blows out my previous camera.

Do not really care since I do not believe a thing that comes out of the mouth anyways. (Yes, they are bought and paid for despite what they claim to the contrary.) That said, their videos online about cars can be entertaining, nonetheless.

I agree, I am waiting a bit for the 1000-2000$ now equivalent cameras to be cheaper.. I wonder about lenses on those beasts though, seems hi quality lenses are hi quality lenses, maybe they can't really make them for cheap.
In the 400$ range for cameras its been tons and tons of progress,. I buy a camera ~x5 years, and it just blows out my previous camera.
Correct, and at the keynote they said the iPhone isn't designed to replaced modern day DSLRs. Heck a Nikon D3300 and a 50mm f/1.8 will out perform an iPhone 7+.

All of the latest flagship smartphones take decent pictures. If all you're interested in is great pictures buy a real camera.

I would agree....BUT

Nothing wrong with wanting better photos from them, cameras on phones use to be a joke, now they are as good or better than many point and shoot cameras, also, it is not always about having the best camera, but rather what camera you have with you. Packing my DSLR in my pocket every day is not an option, however my phone is always with me, and takes 90% of the photos I do take because of this, yet I am willing to fork over 1-2k for a better DSLR, but not willing to pay more for something that does 90% of the photos I do take? A dedicated DSLR will always best a phone, but that doesn't mean you can't have a pretty damn good and workable camera in the phone, I have taken and also seen taken some AMAZING photos with phone cameras, don't be so quick to write them off.

Has anyone else mentioned that HardOCP's "hard on" for Apple hate and clickbait articles is wearing real thin... Oh that and VR performance tests.

Only in every post that is about Apple.....we have been slack on the non Apple posts I suppose.

Don't worry I'm sure the headline "Tried and true Samsung batteries burn hotter and longer then so called magical iPhone 7 batteries" will be here any day now.

I don't buy the DOF feature though. Waiting for a software update? Which means it will be artificial. DOF is mechanical. The optical glass in phones are too close to create this effect. For photogs, it's easy to tell the different between digital blur and bokeh.

I don't buy the DOF feature though. Waiting for a software update? Which means it will be artificial. DOF is mechanical. The optical glass in phones are too close to create this effect. For photogs, it's easy to tell the different between digital blur and bokeh.

It is not, this feature in DSLR is because it is through a single sensor (and lens type), nothing has to be combined, here it is being done with two cameras, as from my understanding this feature will only be for Plus models with the dual cameras. Is it a composite? Yes. However the examples I have seen really look quite good and do not look like software only.

A dedicated DSLR will always best a phone, but that doesn't mean you can't have a pretty damn good and workable camera in the phone, I have taken and also seen taken some AMAZING photos with phone cameras, don't be so quick to write them off.

That's my opinion, too. Lenses and bokeh aside, my G4 and D5100 are equally good with decent light, it's only when the light drops off the DSLR really pulls ahead. I'm currently shopping for full frame, because the DSLR isn't quite good enough in that area, but The G4 has gotten a few shots now I couldn't get with the DSLR because I'd left it at home.

That's my opinion, too. Lenses and bokeh aside, my G4 and D5100 are equally good with decent light, it's only when the light drops off the DSLR really pulls ahead. I'm currently shopping for full frame, because the DSLR isn't quite good enough in that area, but The G4 has gotten a few shots now I couldn't get with the DSLR because I'd left it at home.

I have a D5200 myself and love it. But I do agree, most of my good photos come from my phone since it is what I have in my pocket at most opportunities. Side by side on a print, you likely won't see a difference, but once you need to crop a small area, the dslr will always beat IMO.

Also with cameras people tend to forget, all cameras have strengths and weaknesses, the key to good photography is knowing what your camera can and cannot do and using that knowledge to take a great photo.

It is not, this feature in DSLR is because it is through a single sensor (and lens type), nothing has to be combined, here it is being done with two cameras, as from my understanding this feature will only be for Plus models with the dual cameras. Is it a composite? Yes. However the examples I have seen really look quite good and do not look like software only.

I saw a DOF shot on a iPhone 7 with water droplets. The droplets in the bokeh region were still noticeable and very "nervous" looking. The fall of between the in-focus and out-of-focus areas weren't smooth.
The composite overlay will have a tough time creating smooth structured bokeh. It has to be digitally stitched together.

Start with a Sony A7 for full frame. A7II is better for a little more.
I currently have an A7RII. A very compact solution (depending on lenses) for people that want to jump into prosumer photography.

I saw a DOF shot on a iPhone 7 with water droplets. The droplets in the bokeh region were still noticeable and very "nervous" looking. The fall of between the in-focus and out-of-focus areas weren't smooth.
The composite overlay will have a tough time creating smooth structured bokeh. It has to be digitally stitched together.

Start with a Sony A7 for full frame. A7II is better for a little more.
I currently have an A7RII. A very compact solution (depending on lenses) for people that want to jump into prosumer photography.

That is with a 7, if they are now adding it to the 7 (I have not heard of this yet), then it is pure digital, no second image being used, the composite would only be possible with the 7 Plus.

Start with a Sony A7 for full frame. A7II is better for a little more. I currently have an A7RII. A very compact solution (depending on lenses) for people that want to jump into prosumer photography.

I did seriously consider those, but decided to ultimately stay with Nikon. Either D750 or D610, depending what the budget looks like. They'll both handle what I want them to do. Either way, the D5100 now has about 85,000 clicks on it, so it's had a good run since I bought it in 2013. It'll become my backup body.

Honestly who cares? It's a cell phone camera which means it's crap. People are going to keep taking shitty over exposed, blurry photos and filming awful videos in portrait mode.

Honestly who cares? It's a cell phone camera which means it's crap. People are going to keep taking shitty over exposed, blurry photos and filming awful videos in portrait mode.

Even if they do take a good photo, they put overlays and grain filters all over it.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

I highly doubt any phone camera can even come close to D5100, even with the worse lens available. I had both before upgraded to D7100, and the quality is far superior on DSLR regardless of condition. Unless you just look at photo on a low resolution screen and view it as a facebook photo.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
That is with a 7, if they are now adding it to the 7 (I have not heard of this yet), then it is pure digital, no second image being used, the composite would only be possible with the 7 Plus.

It was taken with the 7+. I'll try to look for it.
I did seriously consider those, but decided to ultimately stay with Nikon. Either D750 or D610, depending what the budget looks like. They'll both handle what I want them to do. Either way, the D5100 now has about 85,000 clicks on it, so it's had a good run since I bought it in 2013. It'll become my backup body.
I started with a D5100 as well. The D750 is great and the D810 has an Sony A7R sensor.

I don't buy the DOF feature though. Waiting for a software update? Which means it will be artificial. DOF is mechanical.

You can have the hardware and have the feature disabled for various reasons, doesn't mean the feature is only software.

You'll want to avoid the Internet

57440103.jpg

Thats what i say, its a cell phone with a camera attached to it. Just be glad it takes decent photos and not the 1.3mp crap we used to get 12 years ago. If i want professional looking photos ill use my slr, if i want to take a quick pick of a car,computer, etc to send to a friend ill use my phone.

It would be noteworthy if true. It's not so much that they replace real cameras for people into taking pictures as a thing, but when you look at iphone to iphone upgrades, one of the things that has been a differentiating factor is a measurable performance in camera performance.

Right now the iphone7 is faster and lacks a headphone jack. The faster doesn't matter so much because most of the iphone market is slower with less RAM, and apps are coded to work with the middle of the bell curve.

Lack of a headphone jack isn't a big selling point.

Is the screen better?

Is the camera better?

Is the battery life longer?

is reception better?

Does it include cool new sensors or something?

These are the usual items under consideration. The answer to most of them is no for the iphone7, and one of the yeses ios supposed to be the camera. You basically get the optical stabilization in the 7, and the dual lens thing in the 7+. It should help, however, the former might not benefit if it runs into shitty denoising algorithms, and the latter only matters once they actually put support for the cool shit it can do into the software. So...

Still a clickbait article, but that's why I looked here for a summary first, I'd rather give the H my clickbait clicks.

With a sensor the the size of 1/3" pulling any bokeh is extremely difficult. Even using the portrait mode on the 7+ telephoto (56mm) bokeh is still extremely small. That is why they're adding essentially a gaussian blur effect in the software. Achieving significant bokeh on a cell phone camera is physically impossible.

I shoot on a medium format 645 and the bokeh on that compared to a 35mm is even more intense. Your bokeh is relative to the sensor size and focal point of the lens.

That is why Apple added the software to render as best as possible. There will be issues. Any my first mission is to bug out 'portrait' mode when it's released for my iPhone 7+

BTW here is what half the people in this thread are arguing about.

bokeh-example.jpg

[H]. The only place where you will hear people argue that real life needs more polygon counts

bokeh4.jpg

Dual cameras might also help out with bracketed exposures in somewhat higher motion scenes (as opposed to basically static). People will figure out different things to do with dual cameras.

Back