Constant click-click from Corsair PSU Fan

wolf2009

[H]ard|Gawd
I have Corsair TX650 PSU . Last night the fan making Tick-Tick noise like it was hitting something . So I took it out and replaced it with Ultra 600W Pro that i had as a backup .
But when i took it out , and spun the fan manually , the sound went away .

Is the PSU faulty ? Should i RMA it ? Anybody else had this issue ?

Corsair PSUs Tick when there is low load, maybe your PC wasn't pulling enough. Although if it's not doen it before, then not sure.

Corsair PSUs Tick when there is low load, maybe your PC wasn't pulling enough. Although if it's not doen it before, then not sure.

This is not true - it does happen occasionally but it's not designed to occur.

If the PSU is ticking and it bothers you, feel free to RMA it. Ticking is not a feature.

If you are sure it's the fan making the ticking noise, you can try loosening the screws that hold the fan about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn each, sometimes that's enough to do it.

Yes it is true actually and was well known with earlier Corsair PSU's, when not full loaded, they ticked. Corsair was made aware of this and would replace your PSU if it bothered you.

i am sure it wasnt an intentional design, but it didn't cause damage either.

my uncle had a silver stone PSU and it would tick / fan would jerk, turned out a 3pin fan cable had shorted in the case.

This is not true - it does happen occasionally but it's not designed to occur.

If the PSU is ticking and it bothers you, feel free to RMA it. Ticking is not a feature.

If you are sure it's the fan making the ticking noise, you can try loosening the screws that hold the fan about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn each, sometimes that's enough to do it.

WHere are the fan screws ?

Yes it is true actually and was well known with earlier Corsair PSU's, when not full loaded, they ticked. Corsair was made aware of this and would replace your PSU if it bothered you.

i am sure it wasnt an intentional design, but it didn't cause damage either.

my uncle had a silver stone PSU and it would tick / fan would jerk, turned out a 3pin fan cable had shorted in the case.

I think some one who works at Corsair would know whats true and whats not about thier products. Don't you think? I haven't come across this issue yet, but I did have one die on me.

LOL

didnt even see that.. AHAHAHHHA

but i do recall hearing that when it was occuring some time ago.. i had one myself and did plenty of research, that answer came up i recall as a response to a person contact corsair about it.

LOL

didnt even see that.. AHAHAHHHA

but i do recall hearing that when it was occuring some time ago.. i had one myself and did plenty of research, that answer came up i recall as a response to a person contact corsair about it.

LOL

I have had 3 corsiar PSU's.. at one point all three have ticked. The 550W was the worst and I had to replace the fan with a slipstream fan and all has been good. I have installed a couple of these 550W psu's in customer builds and they all have the tick noise. Some are worse then others. My 520w only ticked when I put it on a power supply tester.. so the ticking at low load makes sense to me. My new tx650 started ticking about two days ago.. did it for about 5 min then stopped and I haven't heard it since. Ive used 3 or 4 TX750 psu's that never made a ticking noise. Not sure who else has tried this but slowing down a high rpm fan to the point it spins very slowly usually creates hub noise or ticking. Corsair did replace my 520W and the new unit is silent.

My corsair makes harmonic noise when it's under load, with the quad core/GTX 280 combo pumping up some serious gas. I browsed around and found that people are having similar set of issues as I have.
Talking to Corsair didn't help much as they said that they can simply replace the power supply, but there was no case of instability. The only cause of concern was that why didn't corsair notice that their PSUs whined with specific high end GPUs.

i have a 650TX right now with:

q6600 @ 3Ghz
4G Corsair dominator 1066
7 hard drives ( all 7200.10 models)
DVD Drive
2 x 80mm fans all running off mine and it is quiet as can be,.

My corsair makes harmonic noise when it's under load, with the quad core/GTX 280 combo pumping up some serious gas. I browsed around and found that people are having similar set of issues as I have.
Talking to Corsair didn't help much as they said that they can simply replace the power supply, but there was no case of instability. The only cause of concern was that why didn't corsair notice that their PSUs whined with specific high end GPUs.

Thats originally why I took my 520W out of my setup was because of a high pitch noise after installing a 4870. My TX650 is holding up well tho. Not sure if the single 12V rail is helping or not but I am very happy with this unit.

Because the PSU was designed before the specific highend GPU came out?
Because depending on the whine it isn't the PSU?
Because depending on the whine it is a unit to unit variance in the construction?

Etc.

I have built(or helped build) about 40 computers using corsair PSU's and out of all of those I have never had one "tick", one of the 1kw units did make a high frequency transistor squeal a few days before it let out a puff of the magic smoke and lost a 12v rail but that is it.

I have recommended the Corsair PSU to many people based on the quality of the units I have seen and worked with in person.
I built 21 workstations at my old job, every one of them had a corsair 520w HX, I was amazed that I had zero DOA PSU's. The PSU was the only electronic item I did not have a DOA item on, I had several doa sticks of ram, MB's and graphics cards.

Thanks for the info.. seems some sites claim multiple rails. My box even said combined 40amps on 12volt rails but the TX650 said single 12v rail right on the box. Newegg also claims 3 12V rails on the 520 and a single rail on the 650. Guess you cant believe everything you read even if its on the box.

Part of the reason that the box states that is that the HX series was originally supposed to be a 3-rail product, with separate OCP points on each rail. As the newer ATX spec came out, we removed the OCP points on the separate rails and instead used one single OCP on all rails, effectively making it a single rail design.

But the boxes and manuals and stickers were already printed - so instead of throwing tens of thousands of dollars in printing away, we just used the stuff we already had. It works effectively the same way, actually it works slightly better for customers this way.

Part of the reason that the box states that is that the HX series was originally supposed to be a 3-rail product, with separate OCP points on each rail. As the newer ATX spec came out, we removed the OCP points on the separate rails and instead used one single OCP on all rails, effectively making it a single rail design.

But the boxes and manuals and stickers were already printed - so instead of throwing tens of thousands of dollars in printing away, we just used the stuff we already had. It works effectively the same way, actually it works slightly better for customers this way.

Works for me. You guys took care of my 520W that had a problem and my new tx650 is running great.

Back