Console owners what TVs do you own?

If I *had* to buy a TV now, I'd probably look at the 55" Sony 4K XBR TVs or go with something cheap for a short-term solution. Unfortunately, this year's CES lineup hasn't really impressed me, so I'm holding off until at least next year before upgrading.

I'm still using a Sony XBR3 I bought in 2007.

panasonic ST60
Absolute amazing screen. Ill never go LED again. Plasma is the be all, end all of blacks.

^ PC can definitely push 4K content all you need is a low to mid range dedicated graphics card.... and btw HDMI 2.0 allows for 4K 60 fps and that was released as a standard September 2013....

There are no HDMI 2.0 video cards out. But I was wrong though, displayport can do 4K 60hz.

As for pushing 4k? Eh, maybe? No game in the Hardocp 4k review could push 60fps at 4k with all detail turned up. Most hovered around 40fps even with some quality levels turned down.

To be clear, I want all eye candy on, 60fps steady, at 4k. Nothing can do that yet with a single card solution.

I still stick by my point that 4K is not quote ready for the spotlight yet. It will be in a few years.

panasonic ST60
Absolute amazing screen. Ill never go LED again. Plasma is the be all, end all of blacks.

Unfortunatley Panasonic doesn't make plasmas anymore and the old stock is almost completely gone. Great TV, can't buy it. :mad:

Ok, my old ass tv is better than ALL of yours!!! Samsung 68" DLP. It's probably 10 years old, but still one of the best pictures ever.. New TV's are weird, and the movements look unnatural.

50 inch Pioneer Elite Plasma. I keep thinking I should upgrade but it's really to nice to get rid of.

Even though there is a standard for 4K/60hz via HDMI 2.0 - no devices natively support it. Some have firmware updates that adopt parts of the standard, but there aren't any that support the full standard. In fact, none of the Sony 2014 line of A/V receivers (which aren't even on sale yet) support it either. That seems to be the case for other brands like Denon and Yamaha, too.
It's not ready for prime time yet, but it will be. Buying a 4K television right now is a major gamble.
I bought a 720p HDTV when they first came out (and supported HDMI 1.0) and I really, really regret it.

70" Vizio I purchased about a year ago from costco, absolutely love it.. ready for bigger now though :)

Samsung pn63c590 63" plasma. I've had it for over 3 years now with no issues. I really prefer plasma to the LCD sets I've seen. Just looks more natural to me.

On the bright side, Samsung is still cranking out plasma sets.

I always go for the biggest I can get at the best price. A TV would have to be horrendously bad for me not to go size over quality.

Panasonic TC-L37DT30. Still has a gorgeous picture that's hard to beat. Well, until 4K becomes more affordable.

I have, a 42 inch Vizo E420VO, its a decent tv, bought a few years ago, i also use it as a second screen for pc gaming when friends are over.

Even though there is a standard for 4K/60hz via HDMI 2.0 - no devices natively support it. Some have firmware updates that adopt parts of the standard, but there aren't any that support the full standard. In fact, none of the Sony 2014 line of A/V receivers (which aren't even on sale yet) support it either. That seems to be the case for other brands like Denon and Yamaha, too.
It's not ready for prime time yet, but it will be. Buying a 4K television right now is a major gamble.
I bought a 720p HDTV when they first came out (and supported HDMI 1.0) and I really, really regret it.

I agree. I'm waiting on newer 4K TVs to come out with proper HDMI 2.0 support. Then the GPUs that support it.

Remember that with gaming you want minimal bells and whistles. Things like "high refresh rate" televisions help smooth out and enhance the quality of the video but they introduce input lag, which can be a nuisance in single player games and put you at a disadvantage in multiplayer.

You should look for a TV that has a "game mode". This mode usually disables all of the additional features and provides some compensation for input lag. With that being said, I run my Xbox360 and my PS3 on a PC monitor (BenQ V2400W).

Ok, my old ass tv is better than ALL of yours!!! Samsung 68" DLP. It's probably 10 years old, but still one of the best pictures ever.. New TV's are weird, and the movements look unnatural.
God I miss DLP televisions. Best image quality and response times of any display available at the time (video lag was 0 ms in Rock Band :D), and you get great price->size ratio. Spent ~$1100 on a 55" seven years ago when I was going to college. Unfortunately I had to sell it when I moved out :(. It's too bad the market preferred a skinnier profile to these thicker projection-type displays. I would toss my LED TV out in the garbage right now if I could purchase a new DLP...

While the response times were great on my DLPs (I owned a Sony and a Samsung), neither had great image quality. Pretty much no matter what it always looked a little blurry. Plus, as a PC monitor the smudge effects in the corners were unmistakable. As they age, the inside screen can get dusty and there's no really good way to clean it, too. While super cheap, huge, and quick, swapping to an LED was night and day better for me.
While they were total monstrosities, I actually miss HD-resolution CRTs. No motion blur at all, no delay at all, no lighting issues, etc.
The caveat is that if you had one that was more than around 30 inches it would be 3 feet thick and weigh 1/2 ton.

While the response times were great on my DLPs (I owned a Sony and a Samsung), neither had great image quality. Pretty much no matter what it always looked a little blurry. Plus, as a PC monitor the smudge effects in the corners were unmistakable. As they age, the inside screen can get dusty and there's no really good way to clean it, too. While super cheap, huge, and quick, swapping to an LED was night and day better for me.
While they were total monstrosities, I actually miss HD-resolution CRTs. No motion blur at all, no delay at all, no lighting issues, etc.
The caveat is that if you had one that was more than around 30 inches it would be 3 feet thick and weigh 1/2 ton.
Mine was a Samsung and I never had issues with PC connection or a blurry image. Funny enough, the image quality was crap over HDMI while it was perfect over component and VGA. While Blu-rays looked great over HDMI on the PS3, games always looked too sharp and bland (yes, I did calibrate the video settings).

Mine was a Samsung and I never had issues with PC connection or a blurry image. Funny enough, the image quality was crap over HDMI while it was perfect over component and VGA. While Blu-rays looked great over HDMI on the PS3, games always looked too sharp and bland (yes, I did calibrate the video settings).

That's because Samsung had a undefeatable imagine sharpening filter on certain model TVs.

I'm with Domingo, I'll take my 65" LED Samsung over my 61" DLP Samsung every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The LCDs that were available at the time weren't anywhere near as good as they are now, unless DLP also improved greatly I can't see it winning any side by side comparisons.

But I don't use the 65" for gaming anyway, I use a Panasonic front projector @ 133".

I don't see 4k being much of advantage for normal sized televisions at typical viewing distances. 80"+ maybe, but even at ~10' from a 133" 1080p, it's pretty darn sharp. The biggest boon I see from 4k is as a computer monitor once hardware catches up a little.

Im still rocking my five year old Sony Bravia KDL 52V4100, it definitely doesn't have the brightness of modern screens but it does have a decent amount of clarity for what little gaming I do.

I useva 42 inch vizio 3d enabled led for my console gaming. works great for my gaming set up

I'm with Domingo, I'll take my 65" LED Samsung over my 61" DLP Samsung every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The LCDs that were available at the time weren't anywhere near as good as they are now, unless DLP also improved greatly I can't see it winning any side by side comparisons.

But I don't use the 65" for gaming anyway, I use a Panasonic front projector @ 133".

I don't see 4k being much of advantage for normal sized televisions at typical viewing distances. 80"+ maybe, but even at ~10' from a 133" 1080p, it's pretty darn sharp. The biggest boon I see from 4k is as a computer monitor once hardware catches up a little.

And I'm completely against your opinion, the 61" and 67" Samsung DLP's were some of the best TV's ever made from a picture quality standpoint. The only TV's that were better were equal or better were Pioneer Kuro plasmas and Panasonic VT series plasmas. Only the very elite LCD's today in the 5-10K range are on par with those sets.

You are aware that there are no LED display TV's? They are LCD's with an LED backlight. I see people say LED TV all the time and in the home theater community it makes you appear ignorant. I'm not saying you are, just saying how it looks. Its mostly because makers of LED backlit TV's pushed the buzzword LED because they knew LCD's didn't have the best reputation so they re-worded their technology with a fancy new buzzword to get people interested in LCD's again.

http://www.cnet.com/news/led-tvs-10-things-you-need-to-know/

Well, after much consideration I went with the Samsung F8000.
Everytime I looked at TVs I kept coming back to this incredible display.

Panasonic Viera P50ST50

Really awesome plasma. I don't play my PS3 that much, but when I do, I love it on this screen!

I own a Panasonic PT-AE8000U. It projects onto a 120" Bezeless FireHawk G3 screen. I don't have any real problems with response times on it, but some games can be a little harder to play on the large screen.

I'm rocking with a Sony 34 inch xbr910. Its a super fine pitch wide screen CRT. It looks pretty good so I expect to hang with it until it degrades or dies.

You are aware that there are no LED display TV's? They are LCD's with an LED backlight. I see people say LED TV all the time and in the home theater community it makes you appear ignorant.

Only if the home theater community you're talking about is full of twats. To non twats it's just a way to specify LED rather than CCFL.

And I'm completely against your opinion, the 61" and 67" Samsung DLP's were some of the best TV's ever made from a picture quality standpoint.

I honestly don't see how anyone could think that. Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly or maybe when I switched to FP it just made the DLP seem crappy in comparison.

I am still rocking an old 50" Sony WEGA(it's like 8 or so years old now). I think it's considered an LCD, still has a light bulb though that I had to recently replace, only 1366x768 as well and 1 HDMI connection. It still gets the job done, although it looks like even this new lamp is getting dimmer already.

Regardless what TV you buy, keep in mind that Sony and Samsung have been outsourcing to Sharp for their low and mid range panels.

27" ASUS IPS =) Dark souls 2 looks killer on it my only complaint sometimes it's too dark compared to a TN for dark souls... I have it calibrated pretty good and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

Regardless what TV you buy, keep in mind that Sony and Samsung have been outsourcing to Sharp for their low and mid range panels.

And another note , Sharp has had a banding issue with their TV's for years and years now. It commonly crops up during reviews.

Its worth it to spend extra to get a real Samsung or Sony panel. Only Sharp's very high end really deserves any note.

Going with a Vizio E390-B0 in the next week

Panasonic st60
No led comes close. Plasma is amazing.

Back