Console Only?

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering if anyone here games exclusively on consoles?

I'm selling my gaming PC to deal with some financial issues and will be left with a PS4, Wii U, and a New 3DS to occupy myself. I still have a nice Ivy Bridge i5 laptop that I can use for non-gaming stuff but I don't think I'm going to be stand a lot of gaming with its Intel HD4000 graphics. It's been a LONG time since I haven't had a gaming PC so even though I still have a ridiculous number of games and consoles, why do I feel so bad about this? :(

Do not feel bad it is a matter of preference. Game on PC and Console, or just PC or just Console it is an open world and you have the ability to enjoy all of it or just part of it. Pick and choose and just enjoy gaming it up no matter the platform!

I'm selling my gaming PC to deal with some financial issues and will be left with a PS4, Wii U, and a New 3DS to occupy myself. I still have a nice Ivy Bridge i5 laptop that I can use for non-gaming stuff but I don't think I'm going to be stand a lot of gaming with its Intel HD4000 graphics. It's been a LONG time since I haven't had a gaming PC so even though I still have a ridiculous number of games and consoles, why do I feel so bad about this? :(

Why not sell the consoles and keep the pc?

Do not feel bad it is a matter of preference. Game on PC and Console, or just PC or just Console it is an open world and you have the ability to enjoy all of it or just part of it. Pick and choose and just enjoy gaming it up no matter the platform!

I'm an equal opportunity gamer as far as platform goes. Love them all, but PC has always been special and preferred just because I've sat at computer desk, gaming, since I bought my VIC20, C64, and Amiga 500 when I was a wee lad. So it's not that I feel like I'm slumming it or anything like that, just going to be weird.

Why not sell the consoles and keep the pc?

Already a done deal. And my wife uses the Wii U. :(

:(

I've been gaming on anything I can get my hands on since I was 8 years old. The older I'm getting, the less time I can justify spending it in front of a game. So the few session I have a week are precious to me.

I also spend all day long sitting in front of a computer. I've found that, when I get home, the last thing I want to do is sit in front of mine.

I can't say that I'm a console gamer.. but I can say that I almost always get the big named titles for my console. I don't care about having the best graphics, I just want to enjoy the games. I've found that the more time I spend just playing the games, rather than trying to tweak this, and make that work.. the more enjoyable the games are.

I do still regularly buy PC games that I play on my laptop, which is technically a gaming laptop. But what it all comes down to is, I will probably play any new game on my console, which this gen is a PS4 and Wii-U... but anything that I missed, or didn't feel like playing when it came out, is probably going to get played on my laptop when steam or GOG has it on sale.

I guess many people would consider me a console gamer... but I just like games.

because I've sat at computer desk, gaming, since I bought my VIC20, C64, and Amiga 500 when I was a wee lad

I remember gaming on my 64... was the best time for me. I didn't care what it was, how broken it was, or if it was any good -- I played anything I could get my hands on. Even that stupid cart on the VIC 20 where you had to pop the balloons while riding the unicycle!

Personally I would have no problem finding enough game to play if I only had a PS4, Wii U and 3DS. But I'm a fan of JRPG though, which is the main reason why I've always had a Playstation console in addition to gaming on PC.

But I'll definitely miss having a PC, as I prefer playing all FPS games on PC, and I play several PC exclusive titles too such as Path of Exile and CSGO.

Well I hope you'll be able to resolve your financial issues soon, and maybe someday get back into PC gaming.

I'm sure you'll be fine. When I had my first kid, time and money became scarce, so I had to give up maintaining my gaming PC and only played consoles. Mind you, back then, there really wasn't 'low budget' PC gaming, AAA games were ugly and slow on low end hardware. Whereas now, you could easily build a decent low end PC that will play games adequately.

With that said, you seem to enjoy your console exclusives, and I think for you, it made more sense to keep the consoles over the PC.

Not a huge deal. For me the thing I'd miss the most is first person shooters, which obviously dominate on PC. But other games I don't mind playing on PS4, like gta5. Having the joysticks and being able to control vehicles better then using a keyboard is a plus. Anyways, you gotta do what you gotta do..

I have friends that do it. The main thing about consoles is that they're far less of a hassle at the cost of offering fewer features.
While to me it's no big deal to overclock my video card with Afterburner, edit an INI, pick and choose my detail and AA settings - there are a lot of people who just don't want to. They're usually willing to cope with 30fps and lower resolutions, too.
I get that. I could never go back, but I can understand that PC's are often a pain in the ass. Hell, just the calls I get about kids deleting the wrong thing or borking settings make me get it.
Plus, most console games simply just work. PC gamers are in the mode of waiting for patches and expecting issues. On the consoles that shit is rare and usually makes big news (like AC: Unity).

I moved primarily to PC during the 360/PS3 era. I was already neck deep in PC gaming prior. Had been since 2001. However, something about 360/PS3 and getting the same games but being able to run them better, just felt right. Also, I don't like throwing away my library. So, in order to preserve my library I think it's smarter to support the platform that has a higher BC rate.

Find a group of people to play with, either an online clan or rl friends. To me consoles become 500% more fun with friends, more so than PC games for some reason. Consoles just truly shine with other people you know.

Not a huge deal. For me the thing I'd miss the most is first person shooters, which obviously dominate on PC. But other games I don't mind playing on PS4, like gta5. Having the joysticks and being able to control vehicles better then using a keyboard is a plus. Anyways, you gotta do what you gotta do..

No, first person shooters do not dominate on PC. Unless you are one of the guys who gets owned on console then blames the controller. The same controller that the 12 year old on the other side just owned you with.

The only think you will miss are RTS(s)/MOBAs and ARPGs. Those games need a KB/M setup due to precise movements and clicking.

If I wasn't such a huge fan I would only be on PS4.

I didn't have a gaming PC from 2003-2011 so I picked up console gaming on a projector and PS3 because I couldn't use a CFL monitor.
I was gimped by technology.....

Last edited:
Find a group of people to play with, either an online clan or rl friends. To me consoles become 500% more fun with friends, more so than PC games for some reason. Consoles just truly shine with other people you know.

Wouldn't the same apply to PC users too?

Consoles are fine, but there's nothing [H]ard about them. I guess there's nothing wrong with being a [L]imp|Gamer but that's not really my scene.

Wouldn't the same apply to PC users too?

This is just my opinion but it's not the same to me. I've played with clans and rl friends on the PC, it's fun but it just doesn't feel like a relaxed fun like console does. Dunno I just find the social aspect of consoles to be much better.

No, first person shooters do not dominate on PC. Unless you are one of the guys who gets owned on console then blames the controller. The same controller that the 12 year old on the other side just owned you with.

The only think you will miss are RTS(s)/MOBAs and ARPGs. Those games need a KB/M setup due to precise movements and clicking.

If I wasn't such a huge fan I would only be on PS4.

Uhm okayyy... You're in the minority then bud. I have no problem aiming with the controller. The last FPS I played on console regularly was COD ghosts and my KD was over 2.0, like it typically is for any FPS that I get into and try at. FPS are still way better on PC, the freedom of movement is much easier and quicker. Yes, aiming is easier too but that's not what I am referring to. On top of that there is an exponential amount more FPS games and mods for PC. So yes, PC dominates for First person shooters. For instance one of the best online shooters out right now in my opinion, Insurgency, obviously not available on console. Same goes for a crap ton of other titles.

This is just my opinion but it's not the same to me. I've played with clans and rl friends on the PC, it's fun but it just doesn't feel like a relaxed fun like console does. Dunno I just find the social aspect of consoles to be much better.

Isn't it about the games, rather than the machine you happen to be playing them on?

I have no issue with aiming with a controller at all. The reason PC shooters dominate the console versions is the same reason they dominate everything that isn't a rush job: higher resolutions, better graphics, higher framerates, additional flexibility with settings, mods, control options, etc.
If you want to rock a gamepad on PC shooters you can. Hell, on a few games I do it myself.
The only thing the consoles do much better (at least the Xbox 360 and One - PS4 is still clunky) is the social aspect. It usually IS easier to communicate with other console games because everyone has access to the same communication device and messaging system. On the PC you never know what you're gonna get.

Well, I have two PCs. One Desktop and one HTPC. I've done multiple games with people I know while playing on PC. Never noticied a real difference. Hell, I can even do 4 player split screen in a lot of cases.

Now, I understand the idea of communication being easier. I do usually use a console - PS4 - to have chat opened up and then play on the PC. I get that.

I've always been a good games > platform guy and I get irritated with so-called fanboys, but if a given game was multi-plat, PC was always my preference. Graphics are usually improved and I prefer keyboard and mouse. Having said that, I wasn't particularly happy with the PC in my sig (which is now gone, I need to update that). Hopefully later this year I can put together a Skylake-based gaming PC with a 980ti and a 4K display. That's really what I want for a gaming PC. In the meantime, Diablo 3 is pretty fun on the PS4 and I have yet to take the shrink-wrap off The Last of Us: Remastered. Plenty of good stuff to keep me busy. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to just run my PS4 on my 27" Asus 1080p display or look for a 40" TV.

I'd love to see Steam have a better social aspect to gaming. Hell, maybe even integrate it into Windows.
Buy Teamspeak or even just make the Xbox app work better.
For my friends that have an Xbox One or Xbox 360, we actually use those while gaming on the PS3, PS4, WiiU, or PC. It's easy, sounds good, and uses next to no bandwidth at all.

I'd love to see Steam have a better social aspect to gaming. Hell, maybe even integrate it into Windows.
Buy Teamspeak or even just make the Xbox app work better.
For my friends that have an Xbox One or Xbox 360, we actually use those while gaming on the PS3, PS4, WiiU, or PC. It's easy, sounds good, and uses next to no bandwidth at all.

Expect to see the Xbox chat and Skype be the same service in the next major iteration. Even without a re-branding, I'm not sure why I can't call one of my Xbox friends on Skype automatically. Wonder if 360 support for chat is holding them back from integrating everything.

The only console I currently own is the Wii U and I love the crap out of it with the exception of how expensive Nintendo games are.

i love my wii u , if youre into nintendo exclusive , youll have a blast. If not i would invest in a ps4.

If I were going console-only I'd probably go with an Xbox One and a Wii U if possible.
Both can play older games (or at least will be able to soon enough) and if you're console-only you probably don't give a shit about 30fps and 900p vs. 1080p. I think the Xbox One has a better UI and better functionality outside of gaming. The graphical advantage of the PS4 vs. Xbox One are miniscule by PC standards. It's like the Raiders vs. the Jaguars.

I would say you'll get by just fine. Play Nintendo style games on the Wii-U obviously, (adventure, platform, etc.) Play RPGs, classics, indies, etc. on your laptop. Play some bigger console-style AAA games on the PS4, and you'll be all set. You may not be getting quite the same visual impact from the PS4 for those types of games, but you'll be close enough until you're back in the position to pick up another PC. It happens. You'll recover.

For PS4 I'm looking forward to....

Uncharted 4 and MGSV

I am a big MGS fan and I've played through all of them since MGS1 on PS, and I am seriously looking forward to it. I am definitely buying a copy, so I don't mind saying I may try to see how it runs on my PC before buying it for PS4. I'm leaning towards PS4 since I've experienced every other MGS game on PS but I am curious on how it runs. Now that I think about it I'll probably just try out ground zeros and see how it does with that, I already played that on the PS3 but it was a while ago.

And the new uncharted game looks gorgeous from the trailer.

Plus.... Just Cause 3 and Mad Max soon as well.

Back