Console on TV Tuner?

shadowsz14

Weaksauce
I want to play my PS2 through my computer and monitor. Will a TV tuner work for this? (Will it work with ok quality?)

Quality won't be great with any tuner really. For the most part, I personally can just bare the quality but it's definitely nothing to call home about.

Why is that?? I dont get it .. since the pc can pull nice video res. any tv tuner should benefit from this but its not like that in reality...

I have a tv tuner myself .. and I cant enjoy my gamecube like I wanted to :(
Im still looking for a solution to this

I think quality through a TV tuner is low because its taking in a interlaced fairly low quality (composite/s-video) signal, de-interlacing it, converting it from analog to digital, and then blowing it up to the resolution of your monitor, and each step chips away at the already low quality signal.

You can buy/make a VGA cable for the gamecube, I'm not sure if the same thing can be done with PS2.

Do you laredy have a TV tuner or a video card with VIVO? If you do, then you should just be able to plug it in and go. It'll take the right cables and software, but no problem. I've answered that question before...

If you dont, buy a VGA adapter instead of a TV tuner. It will look much nicer on your monitor.

-dB

Yeah, putting a console through a TV tuner does not do your console justice.

If you want to run your console through the monitor, buy an adapter piece and put it right through you video card. (if you can, just buy an adapter and put it directly through to your monitor, by-passing the PC altogether)

When you plug a console right into a video card with vivo, or into a tv-tuner, you lose a lot of the quality because of the extreme differences in resolution. It might not look so bad if you set your desktop to 640x480, or whatever tv's run at.

The guys over in the HTPC threads might be able to give you some sound advice as well!

Every time I have seen this attempted it leads to unhappy gamming. Slow and ugly is the word. (about .5second lag and horrible clearity)

Now if you can find a VGA box your in luck, those usualy work very well. ;)

Slartibartfast said:
When you plug a console right into a video card with vivo, or into a tv-tuner, you lose a lot of the quality because of the extreme differences in resolution. It might not look so bad if you set your desktop to 640x480, or whatever tv's run at.
720x480 i believe

Nope, 640x480 is SDTV. A console will look horrible, and depending on the tuner (most tuners) have input lag making it unplayable. If the PS2 has VGA out, you may be in luck - it won't look as bad. BUT if it doesn't, you're SOL. Play it on a TV :p

A PS2-VGA box is the simplest solution.

This is the model I have:

http://www.forbit.co.kr/imgs/03229.jpg

It plugs into a memory card slot for power, and plugs into a VGA monitor to display a picture.

It has pass-thru capabilties for video and sound so you can switch from PS2 to PC by pressing a button (you'll need extra VGA/audio cables for this though).

The quality is pretty good; the picture looks very similar to that of the PS2 demo stands that are in stores (even though the demo stands use LCDs, and I was using a CRT, it looked very similar). The only/main issue is that the blacks are a little "soft".

I'm actually looking to sell mine (recently got a spare TV to use with the PS2), so send me a PM if you are interested.

Back