Considering something more than dually..info wanted.

rolo

Gawd
I have a nice Dual 3GHz Xeon, but those Opteron systems (246/248 especially) are very appealing. Don't pass them up just because you can't run a 64-bit Windows on them yet!

Oh and be sure to check out the forums on 2cpu.com, especially for help on making your system QUIET. The fans that come with retail Xeons are extremely loud.

Originally posted by Laforge
I think my hosting clients (as well as my employees) would not be happy if I started crippling their rigs with [f]olding

I have a machine doing it, but, honestly, I haven't given it a lot of cpu power..

well that really makes 0 sence becuase F@H basically replaces your idle process so unless their apps run in idle (extremely unlikely) the only impact anyone should notice is the horrible loss of 3~4mb of ram oh no

and if you work in such a big company doing all that work why dont you set up some sort of cluster enviornment?

and you can use server 2003 on your workstation, just in the system properties set it to optimise for "applications" rather than "system services" or whatever it sais

oh and opeteron>xeon, sorry :p

Originally posted by Laforge

I'm most likely going to go with 8 gigs minimum of ecc ram, and want expandability to 16 gigs (i.e. if it's got 8 slots, I'll be buying 4 x 2 gig sticks..

What I want to know is..

1) Will I be able to run a Windows XP or Windows 2003 for this purpose. This will actually BE a workstation, and not a server.
My main usage is video editing. what applications will be able to take advantage of the "8" processors (4 physical, 4 logical)

You can't addresss 8GB's of RAM in XP, and in 2000/2003 server it uses PAE mode to address more than 4GB's of memory so access would be very slow and unsuited to video editing/photoshop. Beyond that, it wouldn't make a difference since a 32bit executable can only run in a memory space of 4GB. Honestly a 4CPU Photoshop/Editing box is just plain overkill anyway, 2 3GHz Xeons with a couple gigs of RAM is faster than anything in Photoshop, and the Opterons scream in most Professional 3D applications (combustion and 3DSMax being more Intel Friendly) if you need those large amounts of memory, you really don't have a choice, either wait for WinXP-AMD64 and the 64bit versions of your software, or purchase a normal workstation now. What you are proposing is not really suitable for what you are doing because of price, availability and software.

Back