Considering HTC arrive, new to WP7

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to get a new phone. I like my optimus S but i want something faster. Problem is sprints selection really sucks. The EVO is not really an option because i would like a keyboard this time around and want some respectable battery life. The wife has an epic and i just dont like the thing. Even once i get past the ugly UI on it with launcherpro it feels so light like a toy or something. Plus i really dont want the 4g tax considering i wont see 4g here for probably 5 years.

Besides calling and texting i do some light gaming and listen to a ton of music on my phone.

How are the games on WP7? How is the zune stuff for listening to music?

From what i have read battery life is great, build quality is great and WP7 is supposed to be pretty good for listening to music. This true?

Zune software/media player is just badass. Not sure on the build quality of the arrive, I've never handled one.

You'll love the WP7 OS though, I promise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zune software/media player is just badass. Not sure on the build quality of the arrive, I've never handled one.

You'll love the WP7 OS though, I promise.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is what i keep hearing. Its honestly the main reason im considering it. Poweramp is great on android but it lacks that integrated polish and seems to really drain the battery. I keep reading that zune on WP7 barely even touches the battery at all.

Even though you seem set on WP7, did you check out the Evo Shift? I read in another thread that Sprint is charging the $10 4G tax on all smart phones now (not just 4G ones). I'm on Verizon though, so I'm not sure if that's true now. If it's true, then you'll be paying the same for the Arrive, heh.

Also, how is Zunepass different from something like Rhapsody? Aren't they both subscription based and allow you to d/l whatever music you want? Sorry, music was never very important for me on my Droid (I just use streaming services for it), so I'm not too familiar with it all.

AFAIK, Zune pass allows you to stream all you want, plus keep 10 song each month, permanently. Someone may need to correct me on that though...
Posted via Mobile Device

Even though you seem set on WP7, did you check out the Evo Shift? I read in another thread that Sprint is charging the $10 4G tax on all smart phones now (not just 4G ones). I'm on Verizon though, so I'm not sure if that's true now. If it's true, then you'll be paying the same for the Arrive, heh.

Also, how is Zunepass different from something like Rhapsody? Aren't they both subscription based and allow you to d/l whatever music you want? Sorry, music was never very important for me on my Droid (I just use streaming services for it), so I'm not too familiar with it all.

The Evo shift is barely any faster than my Optimus S. Why would i get that over the Epic anyway? The EPIC is faster and has better battery life as well as a super amoled. The shift makes no sense except for people in love with sense that hate the EVO's 4 hour battery life.

I wont be using any music services just loading my music on. The music player in WP7 looks very integrated and nice.

I have been using android for the last couple years and would like a change of pace and WP7 looks promising. I love android it just still feels very hacked together the wrong app or widget turns the fastest phones into slow pieces of crap and its annoying. I love the openness and customizability of it but am getting tired of the downsides to it.

I look at my brothers iPhone and its just annoying. Its locked down like fort knox but virtually nothing slows it down and the integration and fluid experience really kicks the crap out of android.

STill have my nook running CM7 and love it just want a different phone.

Im keeping my options open just dont care much for the sprint android phones.

The Evo shift is barely any faster than my Optimus S. Why would i get that over the Epic anyway? The EPIC is faster and has better battery life as well as a super amoled. The shift makes no sense except for people in love with sense that hate the EVO's 4 hour battery life.

I wont be using any music services just loading my music on. The music player in WP7 looks very integrated and nice.

I have been using android for the last couple years and would like a change of pace and WP7 looks promising. I love android it just still feels very hacked together the wrong app or widget turns the fastest phones into slow pieces of crap and its annoying. I love the openness and customizability of it but am getting tired of the downsides to it.

I look at my brothers iPhone and its just annoying. Its locked down like fort knox but virtually nothing slows it down and the integration and fluid experience really kicks the crap out of android.

STill have my nook running CM7 and love it just want a different phone.

Im keeping my options open just dont care much for the sprint android phones.

I agree about the Shift vs. the Epic, but you didn't mention it so I didn't know if you were even aware of it. Was just making a suggestion. It's still a significant upgrade from your Optimus though. You can't take a 200 MHz increase at face value when comparing two completely different CPU architectures. It's got more than twice the vertical resolution, 2GBs vs 170MB internal memory and a faster/newer CPU on it.

But yeah, the Epic would be a bit better, IMO too. Some people are turned off by the AMOLED though (colors not accurate/too saturated). Not sure how a phone can be too light. As long as it's durable is all that matters. Being light is good for drops, that's for sure, hah. But I understand where you're coming from about Android, it being sensitive to bad apps and stuff. I've dealt with it for the past 16 months I've had my Droid. But the pros have far outweighed the cons of it for me so far.

Go get the Arrive though. You have 30 days to try it out and return if you want, right? Can't hurt to try. I would be interested too if Verizon had a WP7 device. The HTC Trophy is coming at the end of April. But I think I would still stick with Android with the Bionic, Incredible S, Xperia Play, Revolution or Galaxy S 2 in the next month or two. I have a nice investment in apps/games on it too, lol.

Right now at nfmwireless, the HTC Arrive is $80 for 2-yo new AND upgrades. Hard to argue with that.

WP7 will give you better music, video, and battery life over a comparable hardware with Android anyways.

Me? I'm waiting for the HTC Evo 3D.

Right now at nfmwireless, the HTC Arrive is $80 for 2-yo new AND upgrades. Hard to argue with that.

WP7 will give you better music, video, and battery life over a comparable hardware with Android anyways.

Me? I'm waiting for the HTC Evo 3D.

Unfortunately I'm the secondary line and only get a $75 discount.

You're only seeing a $75 discount because you're only eligible for a 1 year upgrade. You'll be fully eligible after 22 months.

That being said, the Optimus is an excellent android phone, you just need to put a custom ROM on it. I did that for my girlfriend, then overclocked her to 800Mhz and she loves the phone. As for the Shift vs the Optimus, there's NO contest. The Shift/G2 are one of the better phones on the market right now.

As for the Arrive, it's a decent phone, but I was very underwhelmed by WP7. AT&T gave me a Focus for my work phone, and all the apps I wanted to download (on their dime), and I still couldn't find much to enjoy with it. The Zune software was excellent, but that's about it.

You're only seeing a $75 discount because you're only eligible for a 1 year upgrade. You'll be fully eligible after 22 months.

That being said, the Optimus is an excellent android phone, you just need to put a custom ROM on it. I did that for my girlfriend, then overclocked her to 800Mhz and she loves the phone. As for the Shift vs the Optimus, there's NO contest. The Shift/G2 are one of the better phones on the market right now.

As for the Arrive, it's a decent phone, but I was very underwhelmed by WP7. AT&T gave me a Focus for my work phone, and all the apps I wanted to download (on their dime), and I still couldn't find much to enjoy with it. The Zune software was excellent, but that's about it.

The shift is not even close to being one of the best on the market. At best its a solid mid range alternative with a high end price tag. $50 more gets you a phone with a better screen, battery life and better hardware. The shift would be good if it's retail was $100 less. Considering its just $50 less than the arrive, evo andd epic its a pretty bad deal.

The Optimus is a good phone the storage is way too small and even at 800 its not on par with the 1ghz snapdragon.

Either way I have 30. Days after I buy it. If I end up disliking it I will probably just swap it for the epic.

AFAIK, Zune pass allows you to stream all you want, plus keep 10 song each month, permanently. Someone may need to correct me on that though...
Posted via Mobile Device

This is correct, and you can download to 3 devices and 3 computers.

Just got the Arrive today, I was tired of waiting on Verizon so I picked this up at Sprint. The Verizon HTC Trophy may be out on the 15th of this month so I will take a look and decide. I'm working on some Windows Phone apps and just needed a device to work on more than anything. It'll be nice when more devices start coming on line.

The Arrive overall is a solid if unremarkable device though it does has a nice slider keyboard and allows for a 45 degree tilt of the screen.

I've been studying WP7 for some time and played with a few devices but of course that's nothing like actually using the device and I have to say I think overall this is a very solid offering. This Arrive has the latest Nodo update with Cut & Paste and that works pretty well. The phone is extremely fast and responsive. IE works pretty well but not the fastest mobile browser out there, will be nice to see IE 9 on WP soon.

But Zune Pass is the crown jewel on this platform, it's just head and shoulders above anything I've seen on an iPhone or Android device in the music department. If you have a Zune Pass and like it and use it a lot Windows Phone is something you at least probably want to check out, just a great service and player, very well done.

I really like this phone, whatever people want to say about WP7 it's drop dead simple and clean. Overall the biggest flaw right now lack multi-tasking and/or task management, that part is clumsy. But for a basic 1GHz Snapdraggon phone it's VERY fast and stable, Microsoft definitely nailed that part. Even third part apps load pretty quickly except bigger games. Zune Pass on this this is simply awesome. As for the hardware 3G on this thing seems a lot slower than my Verizon TP2. I will check out the Verizon HTC Trophy, hopefully its out before my 30 days with Sprint are up.

I really like this phone, whatever people want to say about WP7 it's drop dead simple and clean. Overall the biggest flaw right now lack multi-tasking and/or task management, that part is clumsy. But for a basic 1GHz Snapdraggon phone it's VERY fast and stable, Microsoft definitely nailed that part. Even third part apps load pretty quickly except bigger games. Zune Pass on this this is simply awesome. As for the hardware 3G on this thing seems a lot slower than my Verizon TP2. I will check out the Verizon HTC Trophy, hopefully its out before my 30 days with Sprint are up.

Thats good to hear. Should have mine early next week.

I will probably get flamed but the speed difference is probably just sprint. At least around here the difference in speed between sprint and verizon is noticeable. Half my family is on verizon and love it more than any human should love their carrier but it really is faster here.

Surfing the web on my brothers iphone 4 and droid X runs circles around my poor optimus and is faster than the wifes epic.

I'm glad you love the phone. People I know with the WP7 love their phones on the most part - obviously everyone likes to pick on a few things. So far, I've only heard one person who actually hate it after using it for a month, and he went with a basic casio candy bar + ipod touch and talk about how his battery life is better than smartphones. Yeah, there are those people...

Got the arrive today and im pretty impressed. This thing is fast and smooth as hell. Just set up my zune pass and am checking it out now.

Pretty happy with it. Have not yet found an app i miss on android but time will tell. Helps i have an android tablet.

Congrats! Very nice phone, loved mine thus far. Zune Pass on this thing is what I've always wanted on a phone, with that and Netflicks it's Windows Phone is a hell of legal and cheap entertainment platform. There's a free app out there Walkman7 that's an on demand music streaming app, not as a big of deal if you have Zune Pass but this thing will pick up stuff music that's not on Zune, great free app. Found a decent free Spades game so I've got my favorite phone time killer. The app library is growing like weeds, a lot of crap out there however slowly but surely there's more and more intresting stuff that's popping up.

The biggest weakness thus far is a task manager and background multi-tasking for 3rd party apps, it would be cool if Walman7 for instance could run in the background. Task switching a bit convoluted but the thing is so fast and the battery life decent that it's not killing the experience but that could definitely be improved.

I'm really inrested in seeing what the Nokia devices will have in store next year.

Looooove zune pass. Like you said this phone + netflix + zune pass is one hell of a multimedia device.

The minor inconveniences so far have been nothing compared to the pros with one exception. The cool looking aluminum battery cover is pretty slick and it can be annoying if i try to grip the phone with it. If i keep this thing (I probably will) i will probably hit it with some sandpaper or something to rough it up a bit.

if Microsoft keeps its word on the features they have said they are adding i can see WP7 being a very serious contender in the next few years. Especially with this nokia deal, it may even become dominant.

On the same line as walkman7 I'd also recommend last.fm
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll admit it; if I know that there is a set date for the mango update, I'll probably get the Arrive today. WP7 is so much easier to develop on, but I need port access and home brew in order you promote this for enterprise.

Back