Considering getting a Acer Predator XB271HU TN

WarriorX

2[H]4U
About to pull the trigger on a Acer Predator XB271HU TN version monitor for $484 on Amazon.

Can't find it on the specs sheet if its glossy or matte. Anybody own this monitor and wouldn't mind sharing their experience?

Last edited:
I have been going back and forth between the TN and IPS version. I just game so the quickness of the TN appeals to me but then I worry if I should just pay more and get the IPS which is $649 new on newegg. Viewing angle doesn't matter since I sit right in front of my monitor. But, the IPS panel lottery worries me about going IPS.

I have been going back and forth between the TN and IPS version. I just game so the quickness of the TN appeals to me but then I worry if I should just pay more and get the IPS which is $649 new on newegg. Viewing angle doesn't matter since I sit right in front of my monitor. But, the IPS panel lottery worries me about going IPS.

the viewing angles are nice but not a huge selling point for a lot of people. Its the color reproduction that makes the biggest difference, it is unbeatable. Newer IPS models, there is very little delay compared to TN panels now, only a 3ms difference. Unless you are a professional gamer, you probably cant tell.

I bought the TN version, the extra $200 or so for the IPS really wasn't' worth it for me. I have a TN monitor now and think it looks fine lol. I probably would be amazed by an IPS but I think for my experience, the TN will do fine. Should be getting it today, can't wait to do a side by side comparison.

I have the IPS version of this monitor and just ordered the TN version as a second display/travel monitor. I have a two Display setup, the IPS version as my main and a 24" aoc 144hz as the secondary. I bring my pc with me to my brother in law's house frequently and I usually take the AOC..well I got spoiled by Gsync and the regular 144hz wouldn't cut it for those sessions so ordered the TN. I paid $750 for the IPS new, $430 for TN refurbished direct from Acer Recertified) It comes in next Friday, I'll do a comparison of both and report back.

'Good' TN panels aren't that bad- but the IPS panels used in these gaming displays haven't been top of their spectrum either, really, so they may actually be close.

Get yourself a Samsung 144 Hz Quantum Dot VA and leave the TN & IPS lottery for good.

^Nope, only 1080p FreeSync. No idea if any future models will exist.

Given Samsung though, chances are G-Sync version will never see the light of day.

^Nope, only 1080p FreeSync. No idea if any future models will exist.

Given Samsung though, chances are G-Sync version will never see the light of day.

Don't particularly want a monitor from Samsung, but at least if they made the panels, others could package them more attractively. Too bad, though; I'd like some better blacks.

'Good' TN panels aren't that bad- but the IPS panels used in these gaming displays haven't been top of their spectrum either, really, so they may actually be close.
Yeahhh you're right about that. My IPS xb271hu was really good. No blb but some ips glow. My brother in law went through two ASUS models and two Acers before gettting a good Acer xb1. I kind of don't want to research issues with the TN version so that I don't go into this looking for problems.

Ok, well I got my TN version in today, ran it side by side with the IPS version. TLDR: Its pretty good...If you have any questions or want me to run a specific test let me know.

1. Display is perfect as far as blb, pixels, matte coating, dust, and any other defects.
2. The uniformity is okay at best, most likely due to color shift of TN plus 27" size, and being the monitor I keep on the side.
3. Brightness: out of the box it was extremely bright, even brighter than the IPS version. Right now if have IPS at 25 brightness and TN at 0.
4. Contrast/colors: It looked pretty dull at the default settings. I like vibrant (oversaturated) colors so I set this to 130 saturation and left the contrast
on 50
5. Gamma: It has a setting for 2.2 but that still looked too light and washed out so in NVCP I lowered the gamma to .78
6. White Balance: This was tough I got an acceptable white balance, but I prefer a cooler setting. I could not match it to the IPS version no matter
what I did. Weirder still, extreme changes seemed to affect the top half of the screen more than the bottom. I just left it at a setting that looks
good, even though it doesn't match the IPS.
7. Matte coating: It seems more matte than the IPS version, Granted I've cleaned the IPS version several times with a lint cloth I don't know if that
slowly buffs it over time as I've had it for exactly a year today.
8. Text: For some reason, text looks clearer on the TN than on the IPS. I don't know if this is due to the different anti glare coatings on each, I
would have assumed that a stronger anti glare coating would produce a blurrier image, but in this case it's reversed. TN's stronger matte is
clearer than the IPS.
9. Input lag: feels the same on both, very responsive. I'm not a pro player or even highly competitive. Everything feels as it should with my mouse
wired and wireless (Logitech g900)
9. Response time: There is less blur/smear on the TN panel. It was hard to tell right away, I had to do the ufo test on blurbusters to really see it. In
game play it's still noticeable on either panel if there are dark color transitions like brown textures with black shadows. To me the difference is
negligible once you start playing.
10.8 bit vs 8 bit: Although they are both 8 bit panels, the TN monitor does exhibit some color banding. I noticed this in the loading
screen of Battlefield 1 and even a bit on one of my wallpapers. What's interesting is if i set the colors to "limited" in NVCP then the banding is
gone, but the screen looks extremely washed out and dull. I'd rather leave it on full and deal with small amounts of banding/dither.

Impressions: I like it for what it is and for the price I paid. ($411 us) Ultimately, I prefer the IPS version and if I stumbled on an IPS for ~$500 first, I would have gotten that instead. However, this is intended to be my secondary screen. At home I would use it to have a video up while I play multiplayer games, have a strategy guide up when I play single player games, and as extra screen real estate when I do my work. I usually have three or four windows when I work. For travel I would take it to my brother's place to play games together (a few times a month).

My apprehension towards keeping it has nothing to do with the TN nature of the panel and more to do with the size of it on my desk. I didn't realize how much space two 27" monitors take. I had a 24" 144hz aoc as my second display before this. The stand has one of its legs hanging off the edge of my desk. Does anyone know if the xb270hu (rounded) stand fits this monitor? If so that might sway me into keeping it.

Ok, well I got my TN version in today, ran it side by side with the IPS version. TLDR: Its pretty good...If you have any questions or want me to run a specific test let me know.

1. Display is perfect as far as blb, pixels, matte coating, dust, and any other defects.
2. The uniformity is okay at best, most likely due to color shift of TN plus 27" size, and being the monitor I keep on the side.
3. Brightness: out of the box it was extremely bright, even brighter than the IPS version. Right now if have IPS at 25 brightness and TN at 0.
4. Contrast/colors: It looked pretty dull at the default settings. I like vibrant (oversaturated) colors so I set this to 130 saturation and left the contrast
on 50
5. Gamma: It has a setting for 2.2 but that still looked too light and washed out so in NVCP I lowered the gamma to .78
6. White Balance: This was tough I got an acceptable white balance, but I prefer a cooler setting. I could not match it to the IPS version no matter
what I did. Weirder still, extreme changes seemed to affect the top half of the screen more than the bottom. I just left it at a setting that looks
good, even though it doesn't match the IPS.
7. Matte coating: It seems more matte than the IPS version, Granted I've cleaned the IPS version several times with a lint cloth I don't know if that
slowly buffs it over time as I've had it for exactly a year today.
8. Text: For some reason, text looks clearer on the TN than on the IPS. I don't know if this is due to the different anti glare coatings on each, I
would have assumed that a stronger anti glare coating would produce a blurrier image, but in this case it's reversed. TN's stronger matte is
clearer than the IPS.
9. Input lag: feels the same on both, very responsive. I'm not a pro player or even highly competitive. Everything feels as it should with my mouse
wired and wireless (Logitech g900)
9. Response time: There is less blur/smear on the TN panel. It was hard to tell right away, I had to do the ufo test on blurbusters to really see it. In
game play it's still noticeable on either panel if there are dark color transitions like brown textures with black shadows. To me the difference is
negligible once you start playing.
10.8 bit vs 8 bit: Although they are both 8 bit panels, the TN monitor does exhibit some color banding. I noticed this in the loading
screen of Battlefield 1 and even a bit on one of my wallpapers. What's interesting is if i set the colors to "limited" in NVCP then the banding is
gone, but the screen looks extremely washed out and dull. I'd rather leave it on full and deal with small amounts of banding/dither.

Impressions: I like it for what it is and for the price I paid. ($411 us) Ultimately, I prefer the IPS version and if I stumbled on an IPS for ~$500 first, I would have gotten that instead. However, this is intended to be my secondary screen. At home I would use it to have a video up while I play multiplayer games, have a strategy guide up when I play single player games, and as extra screen real estate when I do my work. I usually have three or four windows when I work. For travel I would take it to my brother's place to play games together (a few times a month).

My apprehension towards keeping it has nothing to do with the TN nature of the panel and more to do with the size of it on my desk. I didn't realize how much space two 27" monitors take. I had a 24" 144hz aoc as my second display before this. The stand has one of its legs hanging off the edge of my desk. Does anyone know if the xb270hu (rounded) stand fits this monitor? If so that might sway me into keeping it.
you're getting banding because you changed the gamma in the nvidia control panel.

Back