Considering a new build with a few NewEgg sales

Vicinity

2[H]4U
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
PSCS4/5, Gamimg (SWTOR, Skyrim, Whatever the new hotness is), Web Browsing.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$400 is at the high end with Shipping INC.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
MD, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Motherboard, RAM
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
1TB, (2x) 500GB, (2x) 250GB HDDS, HIS 6780, Coolermaster V8, Corsair 650XT, DVDRW, Coolermaster case
6) Will you be overclocking?
Doubtful, I haven't in a long time.
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1200 (24" Sammy), I'll get 2 more eventually, but for sake of this post, just 1920x1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
The NE coupons expire tomorrow, so now-ish.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support?
Crossfire/SLI is nice to have for the future. SATA2 is ok for me, USB3 would be awesome, but, I don't really care too much if it doesn't.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Win7 64bit

I've been scouring the forum and I've put together these parts.
$46 Gskill 1600 ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
$149 Gigabyte Z68 Mobo (15 bucks off coupon) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
$209 Core i5 2500 (15 bucks off coupon) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073

Total: 406.97
Total With Coupons: $376.97

I'm sure most people here would be upset at the 2500 non-K choice, but I never really cared too much for overclocking, last time I did it was on a Pen4 3.0ghz and it almost always crashed. My e6750 has treated me fine at stock clocks, so I don't expect to need to OC.

I'm really more curious about RAM, prices seem to be going back up and I'd like to get a system done before it goes back up exponentially. Would I really noticed a difference at 1600 vs 1333? I could save like 10 bucks just getting the Gskill 1333 RAM. Either way, I'd still get 8GB.

Thanks guys.

I'm really more curious about RAM, prices seem to be going back up and I'd like to get a system done before it goes back up exponentially. Would I really noticed a difference at 1600 vs 1333? I could save like 10 bucks just getting the Gskill 1333 RAM. Either way, I'd still get 8GB.

Thanks guys.

Really no difference between 1600 and 1333 RAM. With that said, there's a possibility that future IB CPUs might need DDR3 1600 RAM.

So, I'd really be shooting myself in the foot for futureproof-ability?

I usually only upgrade once every few years, but I guess it'd be worth it to go for the 1600 for a few extra dollars. I've just been reading some reviews on NE with people complaining about having to knock the RAM back down to 1333 because 1600 is unstable on RAM that's 1600 advertised.

So, I'd really be shooting myself in the foot for futureproof-ability?
Possibly.
I usually only upgrade once every few years, but I guess it'd be worth it to go for the 1600 for a few extra dollars. I've just been reading some reviews on NE with people complaining about having to knock the RAM back down to 1333 because 1600 is unstable on RAM that's 1600 advertised.
Those reviews are correct. Note that the official RAM speed for the SB CPUs is DDR3 1333 RAM. It technically does not support RAM rated at 1600 speeds without having to do a lot of fiddling around with. However, as noted above, really no difference and you can just leave it at 1333 speeds until you upgrade the CPU in the future.

Possibly.

Those reviews are correct. Note that the official RAM speed for the SB CPUs is DDR3 1333 RAM. It technically does not support RAM rated at 1600 speeds without having to do a lot of fiddling around with. However, as noted above, really no difference and you can just leave it at 1333 speeds until you upgrade the CPU in the future.

Well, that's nice to know. So, I guess its safe to assume it's confirmed IB will be on 1155 and there won't be another switch between 1156 and 1155 again? If so I'll get the setup I have listed and possibly get a K version of an IB proc later on.

Well, that's nice to know. So, I guess its safe to assume it's confirmed IB will be on 1155 and there won't be another switch between 1156 and 1155 again? If so I'll get the setup I have listed and possibly get a K version of an IB proc later on.

Actually Intel is releasing new sockets and CPUs in 2013. IB will be the last CPU update for socket LGA 1155.

Ugh, everytime I got to update my system something new is ready to come out...

Oh well, this setup should serve me well, I'll probably just go and do a whole new system next time, then. DDR4 doesn't look like its coming out until after the next batch on Intel sockets and CPU's, so hopefully I'll get to reuse all this RAM. :)

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

No prob. Good luck with the build!

BTW, do note that the Core i5 2500 is capable of a limited OC of 3.6 to 3.8Ghz. So in case you need the extra power, you still have the option to OC.

Add me to the list of people who found that RAM running at 1600 speed is quite unstable on an overclocked Sandy Bridge CPU, especially with RAM that's just rated for 1600 speed. In my case, RAM running at 1600 speed is fine with a stock (default) speed CPU, but if I overclock the CPU I have to lower the RAM speed to 1333 in order to be stable.

I ended up going with an EVGA SLI Z68 mobo and a Plextor 128gb SSD. Extremely happy with my performance thus far. Never experienced anything quite this quick. Excellent "somewhat" budget build. :)

EDIT: My Coolermaster V8 didn't want to work with this motherboard, so I'm stuck with a stock cooler. It seems to be doing it job (much better than the P4 generation), I'm considering getting one of those all in one Corsair water coolers, are the lower end (H40,H60 I think) junk, or ok for just keeping a stock clock cool?

What about the V8 didn't work well? The CM 212+ is only $30 and it proven to be an excellent budget cooler, especially if you don't plan to overclock.

TBH, I was looking at the Corsair units for the cool factor. Also, silence is golden. :)

The EVGA mobo has mounting holes for both 1155 and 775 brackets, but the LGA socket presser device (the giant metal contraption that holds the CPU down, technical term unknown) has a portion that goes behind the motherboard, and since the V8 needs a bracket screwed on the backside of the mobo, the bracket cannot sit flush.

I only bought the V8 because it looked cool, never used it for overclocking.

Well if you want cool factor, then build a custom water cooling rig and post pics.

Well if you want cool factor, then build a custom water cooling rig and post pics.

I've been considering it for a while now, but I'm going to hold off on a complete water cooling solution until I get a completely new PC.

Back