Considering a GTX 1080 to hold me over, but have questions...

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
So right now I don't have any GPUs at all, save for the one in my gaming laptop. I'm considering buying one GTX 1080 to hold me over for now.

I game on a 2560x1400 165hz GSync display. Do you think this would be adequate? I don't mind turning down a setting or two. I could optionally buy two GTX 1080's but I don't know if I really want to get another if I know I'm going to go for the big pascal later.

Thoughts? Should I just tough it out and game on my laptop for now?

Well.... I would wait until Hard does a review of the 1080 and see if their results meet your expectations. Personally I think the 1080 will deliver... But I would still wait until you drop the coin.

Even a single card will work great at that res since a 980ti/Titan X already does the job fine. If you want some high end gaming right now then just go for it. I'm sure big Pascal will be amazing but I kinda doubt that your laptop is giving you a great gaming experience right now :)

Even a single card will work great at that res since a 980ti/Titan X already does the job fine. If you want some high end gaming right now then just go for it. I'm sure big Pascal will be amazing but I kinda doubt that your laptop is giving you a great gaming experience right now :)

The laptop isn't too bad. I play it on my projector at 1080p and fallout 4 and the division run okay (GeForce Experience turn things down a bit). Its enough to get me by for now. The 980TI suffered a bit in the division with everything maxed out, but I'm not basing all of my hardware capability on that game.

If what NVIDIA marketing says is true, and the 1080 is around 50% faster than Titan X, than a 1080 is more than enough for that res. A Titan X will get you 70-90 FPS in most modern games at that resolution with the highest settings, and you have G-Sync to take advantage of.

I don't think you can even buy them yet unless you get a Founder's Edition.

I would wait until general availability when more third-party vendors like MSI and EVGA had a 1080, because their versions are often factory overclocked and have better cooling. I'm getting one as soon as MSI releases a 1080, though.

I was going to go for the 1070 to avoid using more wattage/power than my 670, but apparently the 1080 uses about the same amount of power as a 670, so I can go up to the next tier when I upgrade this time.

I've got a guy at Microcenter that is going to hold one for me. I'll have to see how the reviews go the day I pick mine up.

Back