Considering a GTX 1080 to hold me over, but have questions...

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
So right now I don't have any GPUs at all, save for the one in my gaming laptop. I'm considering buying one GTX 1080 to hold me over for now.

I game on a 2560x1400 165hz GSync display. Do you think this would be adequate? I don't mind turning down a setting or two. I could optionally buy two GTX 1080's but I don't know if I really want to get another if I know I'm going to go for the big pascal later.

Thoughts? Should I just tough it out and game on my laptop for now?

Sedriss

Limp Gawd
Well.... I would wait until Hard does a review of the 1080 and see if their results meet your expectations. Personally I think the 1080 will deliver... But I would still wait until you drop the coin.

kalston

[H]ard|Gawd
Even a single card will work great at that res since a 980ti/Titan X already does the job fine. If you want some high end gaming right now then just go for it. I'm sure big Pascal will be amazing but I kinda doubt that your laptop is giving you a great gaming experience right now :)

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
Even a single card will work great at that res since a 980ti/Titan X already does the job fine. If you want some high end gaming right now then just go for it. I'm sure big Pascal will be amazing but I kinda doubt that your laptop is giving you a great gaming experience right now :)

The laptop isn't too bad. I play it on my projector at 1080p and fallout 4 and the division run okay (GeForce Experience turn things down a bit). Its enough to get me by for now. The 980TI suffered a bit in the division with everything maxed out, but I'm not basing all of my hardware capability on that game.

Armenius

Fully [H]
If what NVIDIA marketing says is true, and the 1080 is around 50% faster than Titan X, than a 1080 is more than enough for that res. A Titan X will get you 70-90 FPS in most modern games at that resolution with the highest settings, and you have G-Sync to take advantage of.

I don't think you can even buy them yet unless you get a Founder's Edition.

I would wait until general availability when more third-party vendors like MSI and EVGA had a 1080, because their versions are often factory overclocked and have better cooling. I'm getting one as soon as MSI releases a 1080, though.

I was going to go for the 1070 to avoid using more wattage/power than my 670, but apparently the 1080 uses about the same amount of power as a 670, so I can go up to the next tier when I upgrade this time.

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a guy at Microcenter that is going to hold one for me. I'll have to see how the reviews go the day I pick mine up.