Conroes in hands of a few

jebo_4jc said:
I haven't seen any overclocking results yet, but by your example above, if Conroe is a "great" overclocker, that would mean it will be clocking at about 50% higher than stock speeds, right? That would mean that the 2.4 will clock up to 3.6ghz, right?.....I don't think the odds of this happening are very good with a brand new architecture, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it, but to everybody who says "Conroe will overclock very well" I say "How do you know?" I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, myself.

I agree with you . I am just hoping that the new binning system intel is using will allow for great o/c's . Intel as I read is binning more by power consumption. So the lower speed bins well be the lower power consumption cpu's. If I understood the new binning system correctly. If a 1.8 is binned at say 40 watts. and a 2.0 was binned because its power consumption was higher and couldn't hit 40 watts say it was 50 watts . I would want the more power effient cpu as it would seem to me that cpu is a better die. So I am thinking that cpu should O/C higher. Maybe not but it makes a little bit of sense

$BangforThe$ said:
I agree with you . I am just hoping that the new binning system intel is using will allow for great o/c's . Intel as I read is binning more by power consumption. So the lower speed bins well be the lower power consumption cpu's. If I understood the new binning system correctly. If a 1.8 is binned at say 40 watts. and a 2.0 was binned because its power consumption was higher and couldn't hit 40 watts say it was 50 watts . I would want the more power effient cpu as it would seem to me that cpu is a better die. So I am thinking that cpu should O/C higher. Maybe not but it makes a little bit of sense

You also have to look at what Intel did with pass processors. They leave Headroom most of the time. That's seen as a stability precaution. Intel had problems in the past when they've tried to power & speed-bin right on the nose. IMHO, I don't think Conroe will overclock by 50% but it will NOT need to be overclocked by 50% either. 20 to 30% is all it should need. If 2.4GHz overclocks to 2.7 and 2.8, it's going to be very hard for the Enthusiast in this market to pick anything else. Note, I didn't say Fans. I think, no proof or anything else, Intel will Power and Heat Bin, more than Speed. So you might be able get more speed at the expense of heat & power by overvolting but not past what Intel warns not to use, like 1.7v on Northwood. Like the crazy folks who used more than 1.7v after Intel told them not to, then complain about SNDS when it should have been SNUS, Numbskull Users. One guy had his a 1.85v and wondered why his Northwood died after one month, I wondered what took it so long, LOL!

Donnie do you have any links to the Intel binning system their using on Merom? Like a fool I didn't save the Artical I read on it and its been so long since I read it I could use a refresh.

jebo_4jc said:
I haven't seen any overclocking results yet, but by your example above, if Conroe is a "great" overclocker, that would mean it will be clocking at about 50% higher than stock speeds, right? That would mean that the 2.4 will clock up to 3.6ghz, right?.....I don't think the odds of this happening are very good with a brand new architecture, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it, but to everybody who says "Conroe will overclock very well" I say "How do you know?" I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, myself.

I really don't see were a Conroe @ 2.0ghz shouldn't O/C to 3.0ghz same as Yonah. But I don't see a 3.33 ghz conroe hitting 4.5ghz the same 50% O/C as a 2.0ghz conroe.

What I do exspect is taking a 3.33ghz to 3.6 and keeping my memory timings very tight.

I will have to wait and see if 1066 1:1 is faster than 533 2:1 I hope it doesn't matter either way so as to keep tight timings @ 3-2-2-8 . Right now it looks like 1066 @1;1 is going to be faster but that could change with M/B availability

$BangforThe$ said:
Donnie do you have any links to the Intel binning system their using on Merom? Like a fool I didn't save the Artical I read on it and its been so long since I read it I could use a refresh.

I saw something and didn't save a link either.

$BangforThe$ said:
I really don't see were a Conroe @ 2.0ghz shouldn't O/C to 3.0ghz same as Yonah. But I don't see a 3.33 ghz conroe hitting 4.5ghz the same 50% O/C as a 2.0ghz conroe.

What I do exspect is taking a 3.33ghz to 3.6 and keeping my memory timings very tight.

I will have to wait and see if 1066 1:1 is faster than 533 2:1 I hope it doesn't matter either way so as to keep tight timings @ 3-2-2-8 . Right now it looks like 1066 @1;1 is going to be faster but that could change with M/B availability
And my response is, How do you know? I'm not holding my breath for a 50% overclock, that's for sure.

It depends on what you call a 50% O/C 2.0ghz to 3.0GHZ should be a no brainer.

Now a 2.66ghz O/C to 3.99 now that would be breath taking and it would be very hard to buy because everyone and their mothers would want one. Its all a matter of perspective .

holy crap

My super Pi 1m is like 32 secs at 3.9Ghz with my presler

Conroe is going to be twice as fast at 3Ghz, and if they XE is @ 3.33Ghz hopefully us overclockers will be hitting 3.5+++ Ghz!

WOW!

WoW is what I was thinking also. Conroe @ 3.6 should be overwhelming. Keep in mind that once again this test was done on less than a perfect Conroe M/B. I can see knocking 1 to 2 seconds off that score @ 3.1 ghz with proper setup.

Back