Conroes in hands of a few

Wow.....just wow.

I am buying one. The wait has been tough, almost jumped ship for the opterons....finally, my patience will pay off.

edit: those are Merom scores, btw.

JetUsafMech said:
Screenshot says 2.0 ghz.
Sorry; I don't run Sandra much. Is that speed from the model number of the part, or a measurement in the program to detect the actual clock speed at the time the test is run?

mikeblas said:
Sorry; I don't run Sandra much. Is that speed from the model number of the part, or a measurement in the program to detect the actual clock speed at the time the test is run?

The model tab will give you the stock info/freq, under that, "Speed" is the speed it is currently at. Pretty dang impressive, for a 2 ghz mobile chip.

The smart way to prepare is to start hunting for a good DDR2 memory....They're here to stay :)

centvalny said:
The smart way to prepare is to start hunting for a good DDR2 memory....They're here to stay :)
Not holding much hope for FB-DIMM, huh?

mikeblas said:
Intel and AMD next platforms will run DDR2, so might as well.. :)

Heres...

111114rj.jpg

Burner27 said:
I will probably never OC, so is the memory I have "good"?

Looks good to me .If your not interested in syn. world records that memory should serve you well for years.

Micron FTW. :)

Damn, Conroe is a looking like a Super CPU...I cannot even begin to imagine what the performance of an Extreme Edition will be... :D

$BangforThe$ said:
This is a little offtopic but I feel its A good read as it shows just how very good this forum is. It does talk about Yonah and fugger is even brought into the thread. I won't name names but one guy in here is completely off the deep end.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1832443&enterthread=y

I Rolled on the M&%#$* Floor Laughing My G$# @ss OFF LOUD and Very F*&king Long.

According to these guys, Any Webmaster showing almost any Intel Product doing better, is an Intel Fansite, Biased or worse. Yes, for the record, [H] has been called Intel Biased and worse.

Fugger= "If you think Your system can beat mine, Prove it" then there's a link to a challenge.

Donnie27 said:
I Rolled on the M&%#$* Floor Laughing My G$# @ss OFF LOUD and Very F*&king Long.

According to these guys, Any Webmaster showing almost any Intel Product doing better, is an Intel Fansite, Biased or worse. Yes, for the record, [H] has been called Intel Biased and worse.

Fugger= "If you think Your system can beat mine, Prove it" then there's a link to a challenge.

………………..,-~*’`¯lllllll`*~,
…………..,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,
………,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,
……,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\
….;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\
…..\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/………\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,
…...\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*………..`~-~-,…(.(¯`*,`,
…….\llllllllllll,-~*…………………)_-\..*`*;..)
……..\,-*`¯,*`)…………,-~*`~.………….../
……...|/.../…/~,…...-~*,-~*`;……………./.\
……../.../…/…/..,-,..*~,.`*~*…………….*...\
…….|.../…/…/.*`...\...……………………)….)¯`~,
…….|./…/…./…….)……,.)`*~-,……….../….|..)…`~-,
……/./.../…,*`-,…..`-,…*`….,---…...\…./…../..|……...¯```*~-
…...(……….)`*~-,….`*`.,-~*.,-*……|…/.…/…/…………\
…….*-,…….`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*……….|.,*...,*…|…...\
……….*,………`-,…)-,…………..,-*`...,-*….(`-,…………\

AT's forums have been a pit of stupidity for a while. Even the once decent hot deals forum became lame several months ago.

$BangforThe$ said:
Looks good to me .If your not interested in syn. world records that memory should serve you well for years.

They got bashed in some reviews, but they have been fine for me. I am not sure if having all 4 slots filled is lowering performance as opposed to 2 x 1GB sticks.

mikeblas said:

There's nothing wrong with RAMB.... I mean FBDIMMs. :D

LOL, joking aside... FBDIMMs are very impressive performance wise, but the cost and the power/heat will keep them out of desktops for a long time.

Burner27 said:
They got bashed in some reviews, but they have been fine for me. I am not sure if having all 4 slots filled is lowering performance as opposed to 2 x 1GB sticks.

I guess if you have 4 sticks when the time comes you can test and see.

Burner27 said:

The difference is so marginal that you won't even notice a difference unless you are a benchmark junkie. People want to believe that lower timings and 2 DIMMs is SOOOOOOO much faster, if only to justify them spending the extra money on "Performance" memory. Just buy what ever is cheapest, YET has good chips on it. I've been very pleased with micron and samsung BTW.

r0t0man said:

Hehehehe:p If the shoe fits?

centvalny said:

Its probably a good idea since it's cheap right now.... who knows what the price will shoot up to with the combination of masses adopting the new am2 setups and the new intel setups combined with the masses getting upgraded for vista.

Do you really believe that AM2 socket is going to be a big seller?

I really find that hard to believe.

I have seen stranger things . But a rush to buy socket AM2 M/B and Cpu would have to rank up there amongest the strangest things of all considering Conroe Price performance ratio.

$BangforThe$ said:
Do you really believe that AM2 socket is going to be a big seller?

I really find that hard to believe.

I have seen stranger things . But a rush to buy socket AM2 M/B and Cpu would have to rank up there amongest the strangest things of all considering Conroe Price performance ratio.
People bought plenty of Prescotts despite the Athlon 64 advantage of price/performance. Strange things happen all the time.

jebo_4jc said:
People bought plenty of Prescotts despite the Athlon 64 advantage of price/performance. Strange things happen all the time.

I didn't know Dell sold AMD cpu's

$BangforThe$ said:
I didn't know Dell sold AMD cpu's
What is the point of this?

HP, Compaq, eMachines, and whoever else at Best Buy and CC will be selling AM2 systems. We have no way of knowing how the prices on these systems will end up. I'm sure with rebates and such it will vary from week to week which system provides the best bang for buck. Also, keep in mind that you are probably in your head comparing the price of Conroe in September with the price of an X2 today when you make price/performance claims. Again, who knows what the eventual landscape will look like. It's idiotic to claim AM2 dead at this point.

Donnie27 said:
Hehehehe:p If the shoe fits?

lol no. its the "not this shit again" man. Just poking fun at the people that are so fanatical about cpus. I am just excited about new tech no matter where it comes from but, for some its like religion or something.

i'm just waiting for board compatibility reports...i'm already pretty confident conroe will bench just fine ;)

r0t0man said:
lol no. its the "not this shit again" man. Just poking fun at the people that are so fanatical about cpus. I am just excited about new tech no matter where it comes from but, for some its like religion or something.

I never know what to make of folks I don't know. If the shoe doesn't fit then you're not thrown in with those who it does fit. Just as you or I might be very excited, there are crap loads of hardcore AMD Fans and folks who are just going along to get along who are NOT excited. So if that came off as a negative towards you, that was NOT meant that way, hell, I'M VERY Sorry. There are people here who cheer on AMD as if they are a Football Team, as if they get AMD processors free or something.

I come to the Intel side of the forum because more folks here see the Processors as tools for work and entertainment. The other side of the forum is just silly IMHO. I buy Intel and AMD processors and I'm using a 3500+ now. Yet, I don't like most (80%) AMD Fans=P I do respect a lot of AMD processor owners.

Donnie27 said:
I never know what to make of folks I don't know. If the shoe doesn't fit then you're not thrown in with those who it does fit. Just as you or I might be very excited, there are crap loads of hardcore AMD Fans and folks who are just going along to get along who are NOT excited. So if that came off as a negative towards you, that was NOT meant that way, hell, I'M VERY Sorry. There are people here who cheer on AMD as if they are a Football Team, as if they get AMD processors free or something.

I come to the Intel side of the forum because more folks here see the Processors as tools for work and entertainment. The other side of the forum is just silly IMHO. I buy Intel and AMD processors and I'm using a 3500+ now. Yet, I don't like most (80%) AMD Fans=P I do respect a lot of AMD processor owners.

Actually I find it to be the other way around. Ive always thought the Intel guys to be more rabid then the AMD ones. And before you flame me to death I use both. I have a 550 for my workstation and a 3200+ for my gamming comp and thinking about getting yonah for a lappy. In fact my only Intel chip is my 3200+ and the was just to try out AMD.

But anyway I hope conroe lives up to its hype or it could be unbearable here for a while.

If AMD has no reply to conroe in terms of performance once it's actually out, then they will just lower their prices and keep on track until they have a matching processor. Also, I am hopeful that once 65nm process is good to go throughout AMD's processor lineup we might see much better overclocking processors and this combined with lower prices might attract enough buyers to keep the cash flowing for AMD. At least it will give moderate AMD fans a reason not to buy Conroe and that is what it counts.

edit : this reply was intended for bagforthe's comment on AM2's sales, I should clear that out first.

uniwarp said:
If AMD has no reply to conroe in terms of performance once it's actually out, then they will just lower their prices and keep on track until they have a matching processor. Also, I am hopeful that once 65nm process is good to go throughout AMD's processor lineup we might see much better overclocking processors and this combined with lower prices might attract enough buyers to keep the cash flowing for AMD. At least it will give moderate AMD fans a reason not to buy Conroe and that is what it counts.

edit : this reply was intended for bagforthe's comment on AM2's sales, I should clear that out first.

AMD will prob go back to the way it was in the old days. Intel was better but AMD was cheaper and not all that far behind. AMD will lose some market share but the die hards and the value buyers will keep them a float for a while.

Seems like we all forgot that Intel or AMD cpus now mostly are dual cores, so depending on application.... both brands of cpu generally will up to any task you throw on them.
Benchmarks are mostly numbers either lowest or highest don't really matter in real day to day application.
I tried both Intel and AMD dual cores and could not tell the difference :) .....Only the color of the boxes (if it retail cpu)..

DeChache said:
Actually I find it to be the other way around. Ive always thought the Intel guys to be more rabid then the AMD ones.

I'm not going to flame you, but I am going to point out how often someone would make a post in general hardware, or even in the Intel section, and say "I'm making a rig for video encoding, I want a Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading, here's the parts I'm thinking of getting, what do you guys think?" The he would be jumped upon by a pile of AMD guys saying he was a noob and that AMD was faster, showing him gaming benchmarks as evidence.

Back on topic, I can't wait to see overclocking results on these. Though, it is obvious that these XS guys are going to go straight to their trusty phase change and liquid nitrogen coolers, and that doesn't really apply to any overclocking performance I'd get if I use air cooling.

MrGuvernment said:
They dont, but Dell's recent purchase of Alienware - They do :)

Dell, has been selling AMD cpus for a while now. For all intents, Dell could just move their AMD processor stock over to Alienware and that wouldn't change anything. Alienware probably doesn't get much if any discount on their AMD cpus and it wouldn't matter as the processor cost accounts for a small part of their rigs. The question has been and continues to be, will Dell strike a deal with AMD? AMD doesn't have the capacity to meet Dell's demands, but they might be able to dump some into Dell when they start to lose market share. IIRC from the Charlie Demerjian/Rahul Sood bet, the question was around a deal being struck, not a technicality.

Well, if this isn't an April fool's joke and if Intel isn't going to threaten to have their processor back and if fugger can get this chip working, tomorrow...actually today, P5WD2-E owners might have be getting some good news. Lot's of ifs, though.

Bao01 said:
Dell, has been selling AMD cpus for a while now.
Sort of. Most non-Dell branded parts and accessories are fulfilled through Tech Data. Dell doesn't (excluding the recent Alienware purchase) stock AMD CPUs or most of the other non-Dell branded stuff you see on their site.

True Dell is "selling" all those things through dell.com, but it's really just taking orders for a 3rd party and skimming a commission. I got a Tech Data fulfilled X2 3800+ back in January. :D Viva la deals!

pxc said:
It sure does.

You: OMG, I can't believe it because the guy is getting a motherboard and Conroe on Saturday, which is April 1.

Me: Then wait for updates on Sunday (not April 1) or Monday (also not April 1).

To summarize, Sunday and Monday are not April 1st. Updates posted on Sunday or Monday will not be April Fools jokes. :rolleyes:

However they could be April 2nd or 3rd Jokes :D

Back