Conroe launch speeds, prices, details.

Mako360

Limp Gawd
Lot of questions about Conroe's pricing, availability, platform, etc, here are most of the details compiled from multiple IDF reports that have appeared the over the past 48 hours, as well as a few public roadmaps Intel has released previously put into a single post for easy digestion.

Six versions of the Conroe processor at launch:

Conroe Extreme Edition (XE): 3.0GHz or more, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB shared L2 cache, unknown price.

E6700: 2.66 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4 MB shared L2 cache, $530.
E6600: 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4 MB shared L2 cache, $316.

E6400: 2.13 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, $241.
E6300: 1.86 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, $209.

E4200: 1.60 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, uknown price.

Corresponding platform chipset launch:

P965, Q965, G965: Introduces ICH8 southbridge, support for DDR2-800, 1,066MHz/1333MHz FSB speeds. "Q" and "G" models offer integrated Intel GMA graphics.

thats an amazing price for the 2.4ghz one, especially seeing as how according to the current benchmarks it should perform close to an overclocked fx60, if not more, AT STOCK. i wonder how high the OC potential is on these chips, seeing as how they use less voltage than a64?

unfortunately, this means im going to be upgrading :(

There's a large price and speed gap between the expected Conroe XE at $1000/3GHz+, and the E6700 at $530/2.66GHz.

Some have speculated that an "E6800" speed bin of 2.93GHz may fit between the two, but even if that's the case it's confirmed that it won't be a Conroe launch day product. It very well might be a Q4/06 product for the holiday season however, and could come in at that $650-or-so price point that Intel usually reserves for their top non-XE desktop CPUs (which in turn would drop the E6700 and E6600 slightly in price at that time).

So those who can't spring for the XE at launch might still have an option that approaches its performance level at some point, say 90-120 days after the initial Conroe lineup ships to market in July/August.

Its pretty much the 3.33GHz XE will be 1000$

For that kind of performance, its finally worth it.

I think the 2.4GHz Version is where the key is going to be tho for mainstream.

Im glad they will release a 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz Versions too for the "low end"... hopefully they just toally replace the Celeron line completly with these.

USMC2Hard4U said:
Its pretty much the 3.33GHz XE will be 1000$

For that kind of performance, its finally worth it.

I think the 2.4GHz Version is where the key is going to be tho for mainstream.

3.33GHz on the XE is unconfirmed, better to call it 3GHz+ for now to play it safe. As Poncho has said, even if they could go to 3.33GHz at the XE's launch, there simply won't be a need to from a financial standpoint as the chip will literally devastate anything AMD offers the rest of 2006 at just 3.00GHz...and probably will continue that beatdown well into 2007 also. :D

Very much agree on the E6600 being the sweet spot, at that price and performance level it's a total killer.

Right, but could you immagne if they released the 3.33GHz 1333FSB XE?

It would crown them the King... and I dont think anything AMD could throw up there in the next 12 months would beat it. I think this is what Intel is going for this time. Weather its good or bad.... Intel wants to win this time, that much is apparent

That E6600 2.4ghz model may have my name written on it.

It is nice to see most of them debuting at consumer friendly prices.

So are we looking for a summer launch? Or a September launch.

Will 965 be 16x2?

No need USMC, though I'd love it to be the case too. :)

Any Conroe at 3GHz, based off the preliminary Hexus/Anandtech results, would need a 3.4GHz FX-class processor on AM2 from AMD to match. Which is extremely far away for them at this point, and will still be six months out, at least, once Conroe launches. They'll be "King" either way, and dramatically so.

Rememer too that the Conroe tested yesterday was actually running on a hindered platform that didn't include DDR2-800, or the XE's 1333MHz FSB.

3.33GHz, while sexy for sure, isn't practical from a value standpoint for Intel. No point in binning higher, at great expense to profit margins for the company, when your competition is nowhere close. Better to save it for future ramps, when AMD finally does get somewhere in the same ballpark. If they ever do. ;)

How wierd to be talking about 1.8ghz Intel CPUs again.

Does conroe need a new socket? or is it LGA775? Im debating between conroe and Yonah...

jebo_4jc said:

It is odd, isn't it? Going from 3.6GHz (960) to 2.66GHz (E6700) in your top end mainstream CPU, and the lower speed chip actually outperforming the faster unit. Pretty amazing.

Funniest thing would be to add an AMD "X2 speed rating" to a Conroe..."6000" anyone? Can I get a "6500"? ;) :D

Dillusion said:
Does conroe need a new socket? or is it LGA775? Im debating between conroe and Yonah...

LGA775. They'll apparantly be able to be dropped into 975x boards, but those boards have to be a certain revision that includes a few slight hardware changes. No 975x board currently on the market is Conroe compatible at the moment, and none of the ones previously sold ever will be. More than a BIOS update.

Supposedly 975x boards that do include the hardware revisions that make them Conroe-capable will be available within the next month so keep your eyes peeled.

Mako360 said:
Funniest thing would be to add an AMD "X2 speed rating" to a Conroe..."6000" anyone? Can I get a "6500"? ;) :D
I don't know. I could see high 5000s, maybe 6000.

Mako....we posted at the exact same time before, it loks like you missed my post. It looks like we will be seeing a Summer release? or is it closer to September?

Does anybody know whether 965x is pci-e 16x2? or will we be waiting for nvidia/ati/985x for that?

jebo_4jc said:
I don't know. I could see high 5000s, maybe 6000.

Was just sniping at AMD for a quick laugh, not trying to actually estimate it. ;)

vapb400 said:
Mako....we posted at the exact same time before, it loks like you missed my post. It looks like we will be seeing a Summer release? or is it closer to September? Does anybody know whether 965x is pci-e 16x2? or will we be waiting for nvidia/ati/985x for that?

I saw it but couldn't offer factual answers for you vapb, so I passed. :)

I will say that Intel is clearly being very aggressive in talking about Conroe, and the fact that they offered performance guidance on the chip at IDF speaks volumes as to when it will actually be released. I suspect it's sooner, much sooner, than most are anticipating. They've been in validation a while now, if nothing props up, there's no reason why a July timeframe is out of the question. I'm sure Poncho and empoy will keep us updated as to any delays/issues that arise.

On the 16x2 PCIe for Q965, that's a good question. Intel is talking about ICH8 at IDF, but not much else in regards to the specific details on that chipset.

2.4GHz Conroe seems to be the sweet spot based on a price/performance ratio. However, if you do the maths, 2.4GHz on a 266MHz bus gives a multiplier of 9, and 9 by 333.33 gives 3.00GHz. sounds nice to me. i like even numbers :D

Para

Now shooting for a 4GHz or 5GHz P4 seems rather "outdated".. How thing changes :rolleyes:

Para

Mako360 said:
Was just sniping at AMD for a quick laugh, not trying to actually estimate it. ;)

I saw it but couldn't offer factual answers for you vapb, so I passed. :)

I will say that Intel is clearly being very aggressive in talking about Conroe, and the fact that they offered performance guidance on the chip at IDF speaks volumes as to when it will actually be released. I suspect it's sooner, much sooner, than most are anticipating. They've been in validation a while now, if nothing props up, there's no reason why a July timeframe is out of the question. I'm sure Poncho and empoy will keep us updated as to any delays/issues that arise.

On the 16x2 PCIe for Q965, that's a good question. Intel is talking about ICH8 at IDF, but not much else in regards to the specific details on that chipset.

What if Intel pulls one like they did with Northwood C, remember? Everyone thought that the News of first shipments were an April Fool's joke. So Intel then launches about half of the proposed Conroe models on April 1st and catches everyone and their Moms with the Pants down. They had AMD scrambling to launch Hammer/Opteron before they had boards with working AGP slots LOL! See Anand's first Opteron review for proof? Wouldn't it be cool if they did this again? 2nd Quarter starts April 1st. If the Inq has it right, AMD usually gives away Intel launches. Why else would they pick a risky day like the 6th of June or 666, 06-06-06?

I want at least i965X and now they're talking about i975 Rev 2.0 or whatever they're calling it. If not i965, then i985X.

Donnie27 said:
What if Intel pulls one like they did with Northwood C, remember? Everyone thought that the News of first shipments were an April Fool's joke. So Intel then launches about half of the proposed Conroe models on April 1st and catches everyone and their Moms with the Pants down. They had AMD scrambling to launch Hammer/Opteron before they had boards with working AGP slots LOL! See Anand's first Opteron review for proof? Wouldn't it be cool if they did this again? 2nd Quarter starts April 1st. If the Inq has it right, AMD usually gives away Intel launches. Why else would they pick a risky day like the 6th of June or 666, 06-06-06?

I want at least i965X and now they're talking about i975 Rev 2.0 or whatever they're calling it. If not i965, then i985X.
They'd be my savior if they released them that early, haha. I need a new rig by mid-August and really don't want to have to upgrade after only a few months.

I want this rig NOW!!! The wait is gonna suck, but now seeing the price for the 2.4 its just not worth it to invest in anythign else.. Oh well.

Oh noes. Please don't release this thing early, haha. If they do, that just means the credit card will be pulled out and that never is any good.

The E6600 would be perfect... :D

jebo_4jc said:

hehe, intel would have never predicted this back in 2k1 when they wanted netburst to scale to 10 GHz.

1FocusedHokie said:
Oh noes. Please don't release this thing early, haha. If they do, that just means the credit card will be pulled out and that never is any good.

The E6600 would be perfect... :D

Same here, I'd then have to be afraid of deep sleeping, my wife might not allow me to wake LOL!

live2sk8 said:
They'd be my savior if they released them that early, haha. I need a new rig by mid-August and really don't want to have to upgrade after only a few months.

I'd still say at least by June though. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an April Fool's launch. Intel got a lot of milage out that last time.

Donnie27 said:
I'd still say at least by June though. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an April Fool's launch. Intel got a lot of milage out that last time.

The only problem I have with the "April Fool's" scenario is that the new 965 platform doesn't seem ready for mass production yet. No third party mfg boards are on display at either IDF or CEBIT, at least not publically, nor was the Conroe test rig that Intel allowed benchmarks to be run on using one (it had an i975x modded board instead).

July is where I'd put it in writing if forced to pin it down, with both the 965 platform and the Conroe processor line launching simutaneously based on everything we've seen to this point. As aggressive as Intel appears to be at the moment on getting Conroe out asap to stem retail marketshare losses to AMD on the desktop, I don't believe they're willing to sacrifice a simutaneous core-logic launch just to get a processor out two months early.

Mako360 said:
The only problem I have with the "April Fool's" scenario is that the new 965 platform doesn't seem ready for mass production yet. No third party mfg boards are on display at either IDF or CEBIT, at least not publically, nor was the Conroe test rig that Intel allowed benchmarks to be run on using one (it had an i975x modded board instead).

July is where I'd put it in writing if forced to pin it down, with both the 965 platform and the Conroe processor line launching simutaneously based on everything we've seen to this point. As aggressive as Intel appears to be at the moment on getting Conroe out asap to stem retail marketshare losses to AMD on the desktop, I don't believe they're willing to sacrifice a simutaneous core-logic launch just to get a processor out two months early.

Ture and very good points. Keep in mind that that is the 3rd Quarter that Conroe was moved up from. I didn't see any info on a delayed i965, doesn't mean it wasn't, hell, I just missed it if it is.

I965 was supposed to before i975 if you follow the way Intel numbers its chipsets. I965 was supposed to be the 865, 915, and 945 like board. I thought anyway.

Mako360 said:
Lot of questions about Conroe's pricing, availability, platform, etc, here are most of the details compiled from multiple IDF reports that have appeared the over the past 48 hours, as well as a few public roadmaps Intel has released previously put into a single post for easy digestion.

Six versions of the Conroe processor at launch:

Conroe Extreme Edition (XE): 3.0GHz or more, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB shared L2 cache, unknown price.

E6700: 2.66 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4 MB shared L2 cache, $530.
E6600: 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4 MB shared L2 cache, $316.

E6400: 2.13 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, $241.
E6300: 1.86 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, $209.

E4200: 1.60 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, uknown price.

Corresponding platform chipset launch:

P965, Q965, G965: Introduces ICH8 southbridge, support for DDR2-800, 1,066MHz/1333MHz FSB speeds. "Q" and "G" models offer integrated Intel GMA graphics.

I could see my self getting a E6300: 1.86 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, for $209
And trying to overclock it to 2.4GHz or 2.6Ghz. Now thats what I would call a good bang for the buck if its oveclocable on air to those speeds.

CpuMan said:
I could see my self getting a E6300: 1.86 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, for $209
And trying to overclock it to 2.4GHz or 2.6Ghz. Now thats what I would call a good bang for the buck if its oveclocable on air to those speeds.

Yes, that's be sick. If the Conroe will OC like the Presler... Game Over. :D

Donnie27 said:

The sooner the better in my book. I would like to upgrade to PCI-E as soon as I can but right now, the option are rather limited. On one hand, AMD is moving to DDR2 real soon so investing in a complet AMD setup for only 6 months max. before conroe does not seem logical to me. The other option is Intel. I cannot convince myself investing in a 250$ high end motherboard to know that it won't probably be supported. On the CPU side, Prescott sucks. I have checked benches and my 3.4 Northwood is doing better than a 650. A 660 is required to match the northy. The option I was looking was to get a cheap i925XE like the P5AD2-E Premium, get a 650 or 660 and overclock the hell out of it and stand it for six months. In both cases, my goal would be achieved since I would have made the move to PCI-E. When conroe shows up its nose, i could salvage the video card and memory and just get the best motherboard with conroe. Last option, get 2 gigs of memory for the time being and get a 7800GS for six months and then do a full upgrade.

jebo_4jc said:

Huh, where have you been

1.8ghz Dothans were all the rave last year, when 2.0 was king and 1.8 was the sweet spot.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched... or in this case, don't give away your mindshare before product is launched, that's exactly what the marketing drones want. Don't be a pawn.

http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/

Just my two cents.

Sabrewulf165 said:
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched... or in this case, don't give away your mindshare before product is launched, that's exactly what the marketing drones want. Don't be a pawn.

Just my two cents.

The conspiracies will always come :p

But saying Anandtech is not a reputable source is sort of harsh, they have been pretty good over the years. While this might not be the complete picture, at least the AMD boys might get the push they needed to work a little harder on K9

UltimaParadox said:
The conspiracies will always come :p

But saying Anandtech is not a reputable source is sort of harsh, they have been pretty good over the years. While this might not be the complete picture, at least the AMD boys might get the push they needed to work a little harder on K9

Did he say that AT wasn't a good source? If so I must've missed that part. I don't think AT is fudging, but as far as I could tell they had little to no control over the "testing" so in this case they're little more than parrots for Intel's numbers, which they seemed to swallow whole without question. Taken at face value. I'm not saying the numbers are or are not legit, but for Intel to use AT to distribute the propaganda for them was quite a shrewd marketing move. If Intel were to post those same numbers on Intel.com, nobody would believe them.

I guess I'm just tired of all the threads popping up with people acting like it's a forgone conclusion that a few Intel-provided benchmarks are the gospel truth. Conroe is six months away. No doubt it's a vast improvement over Netburst, and could very well dethrone AMD, but I think what most people fail to realize is that this move was nothing more than an attempt by Intel to grab a massive amount of mindshare as far in advance as possible.

Mako360 said:
LGA775. They'll apparantly be able to be dropped into 975x boards, but those boards have to be a certain revision that includes a few slight hardware changes. No 975x board currently on the market is Conroe compatible at the moment, and none of the ones previously sold ever will be. More than a BIOS update.

Supposedly 975x boards that do include the hardware revisions that make them Conroe-capable will be available within the next month so keep your eyes peeled.

Does that mean I will have to buy another Gigabyte 975X motherboard that supports Conroe? I bought the GA-G1975X back in January, but it looks like I may have to sell it for a "Conroe" capable 975X version.

Sabrewulf165 said:

Just my two cents.

There's another thread around here explain why Rahul is worried and bitter. That other guy made better sense as well.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=30043

So he's worried Dell may buy Alienware, have two of Intel and one AMD line. Where in the hell does that leave him? AMD marketing already has tons of dones LOL! So in a few months I'll be able to get that AMD X2 for a much cheaper price. Competition is good.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1935745,00.asp

So ask the Guys there if Dave Salvatore, you remember him right?, set up the rigs Intel used. He now works for Intel.

Back