Connection Refused...interesting

nova[11]

Limp Gawd
I recently did a format and a clean install of everything because I couldn't figure it out hoping that this would fix it but I was wrong.

While randomly surfing the web with no set time or page, my browsers will say connection refused to any and all sites including my router on my local address. So I checked my firewall settings on XP and tried disabling it and that did not help. So I installed Sygate Personal Firewall Pro hoping to monitor the ports and incoming connections to see if that was it. What really annoys me is the browser doesn't work but all other applications work fine ie. mirc, trillian, bit-comet. Its also only my desktop thats affected my laptop can surf fine with no issues.

Things I've tried:
Disabling Firewall XP or Sygate
Clearing Cache
Format-Reinstall

any help would be great, thanks

If you reformatted and wiped everything clean then that eliminates many possibilities. I was going to say maybe it's a problem with your network card but something like that would not affect just one thing and not the other I think. One thing you might want to look in to is a possible driver problem with your NIC...maybe you reinstalled the old one and it's still causing problems? Also, check the settings on your router. Maybe try hooking straight into your modem once to see if the router is the problem. It could be blocking specific ports, but still...weird problem. Good luck with it.

i tried going straight to the cable modem and it still doesn't work. I downloaded my nic driver from the company website so yeah. Im lost its sick...

You must have something set up incorrectly in Internet Explorer...otherwise I have no idea what'd be causing this. How about this, download Firefox or Mozilla or something on your laptop and load it locally and see if that works. That way I think we can isolate it more to your IE settings or global stuff..

i run firefox and IE on all my systems, the main desktop is the one having the problems. Both IE and Firefox are affected by this.

My laptop and other desktops that my room mates use how ever work fine.

Back