Connection problem with Dlink+ADSL

jeece

Limp Gawd
Hey there... I have some kind of big-@ss annoying problem here... I have a D-Link 624 router that shares ADSL (PPPoE) internet access between 2 comps (1 wired, 1 wireless).

The router seems to reset itself. Ok, it's a D-Link, no biggie here. But sometimes, it's having a hard time to reconnect properly, even though it says I'm actually connected to the internet. But I'm not really fully connected. I mean, my download speed is terrible (on both PCs), when I have any. Using NetStat Live, I see my dl in friggin BYTES, with some rare peaks at 3-4 kb/sec, but it mostly stands at 0. Loading a page is impossible, I only get to load the title and the background color if I'm lucky. Sometimes, if I'm very lucky, I get some text or even, God bless, a small image or two. But the connection times out every time in the end.

On the other hand, my upload speed sometimes seems correct (or sticks at 0 kb/sec too), when running Kazaa for example. Connection between PCs is flawless.

At first, I thought it was the heat, so I turned off the modem and unplugged the router for at least 15-20 minutes. Gave it a try again once cooled off. Still no real connection. Even if I disconnect and reconnect manually, reset the router, nothing good happens.

I can get my connection back at full speed 2-3 hours after, or I happen to see it happened overnight, because I went to sleep.

I recently noticed something. After the line disconnect, I look into my router's log and find either a Ping of Death attack or a SYN flood. I'm pretty sure that's the trouble. Now, is there something I can do to avoid this? A setting in the router's firewall, for example, I dunno what to look for. My guess it's its more a ISP issue than a router one. The "I can't connect properly", not the floods.

So, if someone here can help me, please tell me what to do. I don't have much networking knowledge (setting up my basic network is the farther I went), but I can manage around if I'm being told what to do.

Oh, and sometimes when I try to reconnect manually, I get PACT (terminate) errors, maybe it's "normal" and meaningless, but in case it's revelant, I mention it...

di-624+'s are well known for having weird issues like this.
upgrade the firmware.

Oh, and I had the latest firmware (2.42) too. There's an (un)official 2.44 though, but I don't think it would have done some good in my case.

Well, I found out how to do a Crash recovery. It kinda formats the firmware. According to what I've read, sometimes, while upgrading, you can still have chunks of the old version. Think of it as formatting a HD before installing an OS. I bought the router from another person, and the latest firmware was already on, so I didn't really care about it.

So, I did that Crash recovery thingie, so far so good, I'll just have to wait for a few days in order to know if it worked out ok.

The firmware reinstallation gave me some more stability, that's always that... BUT, I still can't reconnect properly for hours after a Ping of Death / SYN flood attack! Those always happen between 10pm and midnight, right in my peak internet usage. :mad: Anyone know how to avoid/minimize the damages of those kind of attack? Is there a setting in the 624 router that can prevent this, or at least attenuate it?

I blocked the WAN ping, I still get some attacks, get disconnected, but my connection is usually OK after that, though I still have the same problem sometimes. :mad:

Back