Connecting two wired networks with a wireless connection

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to connect two wired networks together accross a courtyard probably 100-200 feet apart if memory serves correctly. What equipment would I need to buy to do this?
The good thing is that the courtyard is almost totally empty so there isn't anything to obstruct the signal. I was thinking maybe WAPs have a feature to connect to each other?

What speed were you looking for? I personally chose the D-Link DWL-900AP+ (or 2 i should say) which operates in wireless bridge mode. Acting as a transparent link between the two wired networks :)

Ditto, Ltickett...

2 AP's (D-Link 900AP+ is a fine choice) running in bridge mode. meaning that they wil ONLY speak to the other AP. (unles it's spoofed, etc... Go away nitpickers ;)) A normal wifi client won't be able to connect to that AP.

You can try it like that. I assume in windows on the two opposite sides? Otherwise you'd need 2 antenna's (directional preferred) and pigtails, cabling between the AP and the antenna.

Ideally I'd like to just plug one of these into one of my switches which has auto uplink detect, and then put it outside high up, and duplicate it on the other side of the court yard. Pretty much I want it to act like I ran a cable from one switch to the other, just wireless accross a court yard. Maybe I'll have to pick up two 802.11g bridge capable APs so I can get faster than 11 or 22 mbps. I'm sure 11 or 22 at full strength would be enough to play games, but if anyone transfers files it'll probably screw everything up.

Then you might try .11a AP's ((54mbps, and the 5Ghz range) they're pretty cheap right now at some places... What's the budget for this project?

Can a user go from a WiFi router, say a 614+ on one side, to the AP-900+ on the other side instead of the two APs?

I already have the 614+ but need to get a wired network connected to the router. I was also looking at the 810+ bridge...

Suggestion?

I don't think that I've ever seen a router that supports bridging on the wireless side of things... But you can to an 810 in repeater mode. That'll work too, but you'll lose approx 1/2 the total bandwidth because the repeater is listening and talking at the same time. AP's are like Hubs, it's all shared bandwidth.

I'd like to keep the project around $150 or less.
I was also thinking of just running some Cat5-E, supposedly that can go up to 300 feet.

Can a user go from a WiFi router, say a 614+ on one side, to the AP-900+ on the other side instead of the two APs?

You'd want an AP with workgroup bridge funtionality on the other side. not sure if the 900 has that capability or not but if it will bridge outright then it probably can be configured as a workgroup bridge. Many SOHO AP's call this something like "Client mode" or "ethernet client". It will allow the parent device to stay configured as an AP, allowing various client devices to associate.
I was also thinking of just running some Cat5-E, supposedly that can go up to 300 feet.
Outside? Go wireless. Burying and properly grounding Cat5, while do-able, is generally a headache.

Back