Connecting to a WinXP share using Dos

DukenukemX

Supreme [H]ardness
Been trying to connect to a Windows XP share I have on my PC to load a copy of windows on a laptop so I can install Windows.

Problem is I can't ever get the network adapter to connect to any share under Windows XP.

I'd tried using this setup disk to install the proper software to use a network adapter and connect to a share. http://www.netbootdisk.com/index.htm

The problem is it will connect to my friends Windows 2000 PC share but it won't ever connnect to a WinXP share.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some security setting in Windows XP that I'm not seeing that's preventing this?

BTW I'm running SP2 in XP.

probably the winxp firewall... go to control panel and disable it completely.... see if that works...

QJ

NetBIOS not communicating.

Authentication isn't happening, guest account or not. For the machine to even be touched it has to authenticate with a guest account, so if you hit up the Local Security Policy under admin tools, drill down to Local Policies -> User Rights and add guest to "Access this computer from the network" you might be golden.

I'm thinking this is default behavior with SP2, but I could be very wrong.

Worth a shot, it's all I can think of.

All you needed to do was enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. That disk your using is a TCP/IP boot disk. Doesn't use NetBEUI, the transfer protocol, though it does use NetBIOS, the API, and needs it enabled on the remote box, which I guess was done when you installed NetBEUI. If you look at the WINS tab of the TCP/IP properties on the XP machine, NetBIOS over TCP/IP would be enabled.

Back