Connecting to a VM over a network...

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Alright, so I am new to Virtural Machines and I want to connect to one via network.

Basically I setup a clone of my dedicated box as a virtual machine on my main computer. This way I can test things before I do it on the live box. I also intend to develop some things, so I'd rather test it locally first. What I have done is setup the Linux CentOS VM. I have then installed a Killing Floor dedicated server on this VM. Now I want to connect to that server, on the VM, from my primary computer. However I have no idea how.. Looking at "LAN Servers" in the games tabs doesn't report anything.

How can I accomplish this? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... not sure what you are asking. I'm a newb at this.

I simply opened VMWare, started a new VM with a Linux ISO. Hope that answers the question.

Uh... not sure what you are asking. I'm a newb at this.

I simply opened VMWare, started a new VM with a Linux ISO. Hope that answers the question.

Which vmware product are you using?

player, workstation, server?

I'm guessing that you need to change the network adapter on the VM to bridged instead of NAT.

I can't remember what it looked like but its similar to this.

but if you cloned the machine you'll probably want to change the host name before you do.

Which vmware product are you using?

player, workstation, server?

Player, sorry.

I'm guessing that you need to change the network adapter on the VM to bridged instead of NAT.

I can't remember what it looked like but its similar to this.

but if you cloned the machine you'll probably want to change the host name before you do.

I did set it up to bridge mode. Still didn't make a difference. :eek:

Wasn't a direct clone, just the same server setup.

The only firewall I am running is Windows Firewall on the Windows 7 machine.

The only "firewall" on the Linux VM is iptables and it's open.

I do know the IP isn't the same subnet as my own. Its 192.168.17.1; where as my physical networks IPs are all 192.168.1.xx

Could that be causing the issue?

Alright, so I am new to Virtural Machines and I want to connect to one via network.

Basically I setup a clone of my dedicated box as a virtual machine on my main computer. This way I can test things before I do it on the live box. I also intend to develop some things, so I'd rather test it locally first. What I have done is setup the Linux CentOS VM. I have then installed a Killing Floor dedicated server on this VM. Now I want to connect to that server, on the VM, from my primary computer. However I have no idea how.. Looking at "LAN Servers" in the games tabs doesn't report anything.

How can I accomplish this? :eek:

So you have a killing floor client that needs to connect to the killing floor server?

(never played killing floor so not sure what it is)

The only firewall I am running is Windows Firewall on the Windows 7 machine.

The only "firewall" on the Linux VM is iptables and it's open.

I do know the IP isn't the same subnet as my own. Its 192.168.17.1; where as my physical networks IPs are all 192.168.1.xx

Could that be causing the issue?

yup. its not in bridged mode then

So you have a killing floor client that needs to connect to the killing floor server?

(never played killing floor so not sure what it is)

Sorry for not being specific. Killing Floor is a video game based on the Unreal Engine. I have a dedicated server running on the VM to host the game.

I am trying to connect to that host from my client.

yup. its not in bridged mode then

I have it selected to

Bridged connection direclty to the physical network
>Replicate physical network connection state.

Both of those are marked. I rebooted the VM after those changes.

huh, I've never had it not work. You could try removing that nic from the VM and re-adding it. But if its not getting the same lan address range as your desktop its not really working.

I had to leave. Ill try when I get back. Just so im clear, I need to remove it from windows device manager right?

Still showing an IP of 192.168.17.1

I deleted the network adapter, then added it again; Bridged the connection then clicked add.

Rebooted the VM.

Checked in Windows CMD: ipconfig

Showing an IP address 192.168.17.1.

I even setup the property in Windows to obtain IP automatically, then released the adapters and renewed them. It still assigned itself 192.168.17.1.

Yes I do.

After doing some more digging around, I've discovered the IP address when I type ipconfig in the windows command prompt isn't the IP for the VM.
Code:
Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::41df:f92c:db2b:549a%17
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.17.1
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

If use the ifconfig within' the Linux VM, I get an IP address of 192.168.1.104. I confirm this IP is being leased by the DHCP server on my router by logging into my router and looking at the DHCP clients list. IP 192.168.1.104 is listed.

I can confirm that I can ping 192.168.1.104 from my Windows command prompt.
I can confirm that I can ping my Windows IP from the Linux VM terminal.

I can NOT connect to the server running on the Linux VM from within' the game, Killing Floor. I can't even see it listed under "LAN Servers" and manually adding the IP 192.168.1.104 returns nothing. Connecting directly to IP 192.168.1.104 through the console eventually times out.

I have completely shut down the iptables within' the Linux VM. Running the following commands:
/etc/init.d/iptables save
/etc/init.d/iptables stop

I'm at a loss.

Problem solved, sort of.

I can access the VM from within' Windows. I can join the server from my game client, the problem is everytime I try to, it crashes the server. Whatever the issue it, it's not related to the VM; so I'm gonna have to do some digging to see why the server crashes when I try to join it.

Thanks guys.

Back