Connecting rooms with 802.11n?

n64man120

2[H]4U
I'm moving into a new apartment and thinking about improving my networking. Normally I have ran a ton of cat5 to get 100mbit between devices, and 802.11g for the laptops.

To improve speed and decrease hassle, my thought is to just run cat5 in each room (3 at most), and connect all those rooms through 802.11n bridges, access points, whatever the ideal terminology is here. Using one room as master with the cable modem and all that. Gigabit router/switch things up too.

How much do you think a setup like this would cost, and how the speeds would hold up? I've never used 802.11n but heard great things about it. The most speed/bandwidth taxing things I'd be doing are streaming a 1080P movie between rooms or playing online games / downloading linux iso's from a room other than the primary one.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I have never seen a single apartment to big for more than one Wireless AP. Just stick a wireless N AP in there and go to town

In College a friend had a 4 bed room apt and all of them survived off from one linksys 802.11g wireless router. They did have 1 line ran to each room for the hard wired desktops but that's it.

Honestly, I have never seen a single apartment to big for more than one Wireless AP. Just stick a wireless N AP in there and go to town

Right, but not all the devices are wireless. So say the router is in my bedroom, then out in the living room is an AV stack with a Xbox, Tivo, HTPC, etc. It makes sense to have a single node there to pull down the wifi signal, then attach to all of them over cat5, for instance. Same idea if a second bedroom had a few non-wifi but networked devices.

Back