Connecting PC to HDTV

SILENCER00

Gawd
My roomate is attempting to hook his hdtv up to his pc as a secondary monitor. He currently has it hooked up via svideo, but its pretty low quality, so im trying to figure out the best alternative... besides svideo, the following connections are available:

- PC videocard has a vga and a dvi out
- HDTV has component and hdmi in

I originally thought that we could easily get a vga->component connector since its all analog, but as ive done more research ive found that the vga is in RGBhv format and the tv will be expecting YPbPr in thru component, so this won't work. (is this correct?)

The other option we're considering is a dvi to hdmi cable. Is this the only option to go now without investing in an expensive transcoder?

Just need some clarification or affirmation :cool:

just get a DVI to HDMI cable (around 50 bucks).. if ur friend has an ATI video card, the HDTV should be recognized as a DFP (flat panel).. i connected many computers using a dvi to hdmi cable, works great.

Score. Too bad his 2001fp is currently using his only dvi output, I guess he'll have to live with it connected via vga instead if he wants to use his tv as a secondary.

There are DVI splitter boxes out there that allow you to turn a switch and select the 2001 or the HDTV. I would suggest a belkin product cost is usually 39.99 - 69.99.

There is always a way if you got the $$$

Sunin

Back