connecting my wife's S5 to our WiFi kills all other connections

t-readyroc

Gawd
I use an ASUS RT-N16 w/dd-wrt as my house router. I routinely have 4 devices on its wireless. This is the scenario (which has only just started happening recently):

• my wife will connect her S5 to the WiFi at home
  • the S5 will report connected
  • every other device on the WiFi that is handy (haven't checked if it happens to my Roku) will be kicked off the WiFi
  • the S5 will be disconnected
  • I will have to manually reconnect my other devices, which report an "authentication issue"

The other devices in question are: my Optimus G, my Shield Tablet, our Acer Win8 laptop. Signal strength is not an issue. I have tried:

• setting the S5's WiFi connection to our router to a static address
  • resetting the router to factory default
  • changed the channel on the router's WiFi
  • disabling the router's ACK timing
  • changed the router's WiFi mode to NG-Mixed

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? Definitely one of the oddest issues I've ever had the "pleasure" of dealing with.

Does the router have a "guest" mode? Slice off a chunk of 2.4ghz G speed for her. I do all my mobile devices on the "guest" mode of my wifi router.

Good suggestion. It's got the ability to create a fully isolated guest network, but I only had to create a new wireless vlan for her (bridged, even) & she's happily connected on her own little space (& I'm still happily connected on mine).

More of a workaround than a solution, but hey... :cool:

Agree with the third-party firmware. A buddy of mine owns a RT-N16 and had a lot of issues with it as well until he finally flashed it. One of those devices from Asus that came about before they started doing things fairly well.

..or you could give OpenWRT a spin which most likely offers the newest driver available. I'm not going to claim that its the best one around though as I simply don't have any Broadcom based routers around these days.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-n16
//Danne

I installed dd-wrt on it... 1st thing, when I got it home X many years ago (whenever it was).

ANYWAY... update!

My wife took her S5 w/her down to a girls' weekend getaway, & she had to turn off her WiFi while she was at the house because, you guessed it, she kept kicking every other client off of the network! :eek:

I'm happy at home w/her on a separate WLAN, but I really do wonder wtf's going on w/her phone... :confused:

I had a customer complain about their internet being slow all the time. I finally narrowed it down to their cell phone. When it was connected to their wi fi latency on their network went from 32ms to over 3000ms. I shut off all cloud services. Turned the phone off and back on. Made sure nothing was running that was using data. Not sure what on the phone was causing it but I told them to NEVER connect it to their home internet if they wanted it to work properly.

I installed dd-wrt on it... 1st thing, when I got it home X many years ago (whenever it was).

ANYWAY... update!

My wife took her S5 w/her down to a girls' weekend getaway, & she had to turn off her WiFi while she was at the house because, you guessed it, she kept kicking every other client off of the network! :eek:

I'm happy at home w/her on a separate WLAN, but I really do wonder wtf's going on w/her phone... :confused:

Definitely sounds like a device issue causing problems. I haven't had something so drastic as this happening, but I've noticed iPhones and other Apple mobile products run through DHCP addresses every time they connect like they're going out of style. As if it refuses to hold onto a lease and asks for a new address every time it disconnects. Very frustrating, but manageable.

This on the other hand would drive me nuts. I hope putting it on a separate network solves the issue.

Back