connecting multiple l3 switches together?

killerasp

Gawd
so right now, i have two Catalyst 4948s acting as an L3 set. All my vlans and ip addressing are on these devices. i have about 300 vlans sharing HSRP ips. So...would there be way i can attach additional 4948s (or using any other cisco gear, doesn't have to pertain to just 4948s) so i can have more than just 2 devices in my L3 set? Im pretty sure this is possible, but can you do it without assigning additional management ips to the vlan interface?

a L3 set? huh? Im sorry, Ive never heard anyone refer to switches in a L3 set.... unless you're saying that you're running HSRP between the two switch over trunked ports. Is that what you're doing? Technically you can add any L3 device into your network without having to have management vlans. You would make both ports on the switches routed ports. Pretty easy actually, its one command.

no switchport
ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

HTH

why would you have any management IP's in every vlan? management should be it's own vlan.

i'm still trying to figure out what you want exactly. are you saying you want like 3 or 4 switches with 1 hsrp address? i don't see why you couldn't do that, but i don't think you're really gaining anything.

could use a little more info.

Back