Connecting Dualshock 4 to PC

Verge

Supreme [H]ardness
Yes i've googled this 200 times.

When i try to pair my DS4, it gives me the balloon notification saying something is trying to connect to this computer... good

I click it... good

I get a window saying "finish connection to this device," while my DS4 has a solid white light on it. I can click "Next" or "Cancel."

As soon as i click next, the DS4 powers off. What am i doing wrong? Works fine over usb, works fine on my ps4.

I've got the same issue on Windows 8.1. Can't get it to pair.

Don't know if it's because of the cheap Bluetooth dongle I bought off ebay :/

You can try other bluetooth stacks, like Toshiba's, which is pretty good. But last I tried (over a year ago) the DS4 to xinput wrapper had issues if you were using the Toshiba bluetooth stack which was annoying, but if you're only planning on using direct input you should be fine.

I had issues like that I wrote some notes that got me past it hope this helps. I use the DS4 on PC all the time with DS4Tool and haven't had an issue once it was paired properly once.

To connect the DS4 to PC via BT:
  1. Hold down Share + PS button to activate pairing on DS4
  2. Under Bluetooth devices select Add
  3. Pick the wireless controller option and I use the HID mouse/keyboard option checked.
If the DS4 constantly connects then immediately disconnects after the above:
  1. Check Devices and Printers in Control Panel, if wireless controller is there remove it
  2. Follow the above steps again, and pair the device
  3. when the window appears "configuring Bluetooth device" look at the DS4 light bar. It's probably off.
  4. Hold down the share + PS button again to activate pairing again on DS4 and it should pair properly this time.
  5. In Devices and Printers in Control Panel, the wireless controller must always be present even if the DS4 is off

I have had success doing this with an Asus USB dongle, but have had nothing but trouble when I try to pair or use it with the asus bluetooth that came with my Maximus VII formula motherboard. This is on windows 8.1. it could be the bluetooth module itself you are fighting.

I just bought a PS4 last month and love the DS4 controller...so I can't just plug the controller cable into a USB port on the back of my PC?...so the Xbox controller is the only certified one to work on PC?

Nah, it works fine if you use a usb cable and something like inputmapper.

Last edited:
With a USB cable it works fine. Bluetooth can be problematic though. Either way I recommend using something like DS4Tool so that the system thinks you have a XB360 controller plugged into the system. It just makes things easier when playing games. Though one bad thing is all the button prompts are XB360 buttons so you have to remember the 360 layout and not look at the one visible in your hand ;)

Back