Connecting Computers for File Transfer on Wi-Fi

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I had done this about 5 or 6 years ago and can't figure out how to get it working again. I have a laptop and desktop in my apartment both connected to the same wi-fi connection and I am wanting to share files between the two. How do I create a folder or way to swap files between each of them securely over the wireless network?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Probably, but I don't really have the space to set both the laptop and desktop up next to each other and connect via ethernet...

I assume you are using Windows. All you need to do is share the folder on the system which has files you need to access. You can read instructions from Microsoft or just Google it. Avoid Simple File Sharing it doesn't offer as many options and you may open a security hole by accident. Both computers need to be in the same workgroup (or homegroup as it's called in Windows 7) simply by giving them both the same workgroup name. You can keep files on one computer or if you want to have folders synchronized so when you are not on the same wi-fi network you still have those files then a setup like rsync is recommended. I use file sharing on my wireless G network and of course it's not extremely fast but I can open documents and images with minimal delay.

Back