Connecting a ZFS system to a Windows workstation -plus a question about error correct

lordsegan

Gawd
I want to connect my Windows graphics workstation to a ZFS file server after reading about the amazing properties of ZFS servers.

However, what is the best way to make this connection? I understand there are options like SAMBA and iSCSI, but I do not understand their pros and cons well.

I currently use the error correcting features of SyncBack Pro to copy files in Windows. Does my Windows machine write directly to the ZFS server? Would an error on the Windows machine be copied/magnified on the ZFS server even with the ZFS server's protective algorithms?

The simplest route is to create a smb share on the zfs server, and you connect to it from windows like any other file server... If you have win7 pro or higher, you can also back up the windows box to the ZFS share using the win7 backup service.

The simplest route is to create a smb share on the zfs server, and you connect to it from windows like any other file server... If you have win7 pro or higher, you can also back up the windows box to the ZFS share using the win7 backup service.

If I let Windows connect via SMB share, am I defeating any of the advantages of ZFS?

Well, that depends. If you want to snapshot files and such, no, you can't do that from windows, but this approach takes a zfs filesystem and presents it to a network client, so things like end to end checksum, etc, still work just fine.

Just out of my curiousity with this since I have a current all in one, has anyone actually gamed using a mapped network drive using SMB (or iSCSI) with steam and ZFS? I was thinking trying this route but wasn't sure with latency issues (if any) I would have. I pretty much maximize (around 90-100MB/sec) on the GB link I have currently for both read and write through SMB.

Well, that depends. If you want to snapshot files and such, no, you can't do that from windows, but this approach takes a zfs filesystem and presents it to a network client, so things like end to end checksum, etc, still work just fine.

zfs snaoshot actually integrates with windows vss very well. You can configure time-sliderto take zfs snapshots, on windows explorer you can see the snapshots from previous version. If you want to take snapshot from windows side, you need hardware provider which is only supplied with their storage appliance.

Is the gaming box (windows?) virtual too?

No. I have an SSD with for the basic Windows 7 Ultimate OS install, but have so many steam games that I have a spare hard drive with games (300+ GB) and programs on it saved on it. I was looking to offload that to my ZFS server if at all possible for easier access/backup of files since I already back the server up automatically. Just want to know if there is a huge performance penalty before I eventually try and test it.

Ideally they would make GPU passthrough with great 3d performance, but we can only dream. :D

No. I have an SSD with for the basic Windows 7 Ultimate OS install, but have so many steam games that I have a spare hard drive with games (300+ GB) and programs on it saved on it. I was looking to offload that to my ZFS server if at all possible for easier access/backup of files since I already back the server up automatically. Just want to know if there is a huge performance penalty before I eventually try and test it.

Ideally they would make GPU passthrough with great 3d performance, but we can only dream. :D
Hmm Seems like a job for FC lol.

Can you put Steam games to a network drive? I think you're pushing your luck, I wouldn't expect great performance out of GigE. iSCSI seems more of your use-case, but that's your call.

I dream of a day that I will one day be able to do 10GbE and iSCSI (or FCoE, or dare I say, Infiniband). Maybe even boot from the SAN. But alas...

Hmm Seems like a job for FC lol.

Can you put Steam games to a network drive? I think you're pushing your luck, I wouldn't expect great performance out of GigE. iSCSI seems more of your use-case, but that's your call.

I dream of a day that I will one day be able to do 10GbE and iSCSI (or FCoE, or dare I say, Infiniband). Maybe even boot from the SAN. But alas...

You can do all that now. I can boot from my SAN using PXE and iSCSI, its only gigE but its usable. I use a SSD as its quicker but I store all my files on my ZFS server.

Just grab a couple 10gigE cards and set up PXE and you should be able to run diskless. This is good if you have LOTS of data and need fast access to it. Movie editing, photo library, LOTS of games but for most cases a local SSD for OS+apps will be cheaper and faster.

A decent Solaris ZFS setup with Fibre Channel to connect the Windows Machine.

Have the Fibre Card in the Windows Machine bootable and allocate what ever size disk (LUN) you like to the windows machine from the ZFS machine.

The windows machine can then be diskless.

Cheapy 2Gb fibre card's will give you decent Consistent 200mb/s thruput

Pay more and get 4Gb or 8Gb cards and you will get nice speed ;)

fill the ZFS box with some decent HDD's and move the SDD to it as an ARC drive. ;)

Should perform nicely, and is rather easy to setup.:)

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=971190

Currently I have a dual intel NICs on my desktop and SAN. Should I look at teaming the NIC's for 2Gb booting or is that a PITA? Anyone got any recommendations where to find these cheap 2Gb cards or what brand?

You can do all that now. I can boot from my SAN using PXE and iSCSI, its only gigE but its usable. I use a SSD as its quicker but I store all my files on my ZFS server.

Just grab a couple 10gigE cards and set up PXE and you should be able to run diskless. This is good if you have LOTS of data and need fast access to it. Movie editing, photo library, LOTS of games but for most cases a local SSD for OS+apps will be cheaper and faster.
Oh I know its technically possible, its just not really feasible/justified for myself.. .at least right now.

I find myself spending a lot of time on my laptop lately and not my workstation. I have work/play offloaded to VMs on my All-in-One. I could justify another CPU or another server before I could justify dumping money into any of my computers.

FYI, you can do what the other person mentioned, PXE boot to SAN. There should also be NICs (at least when I was looking into it) that can connect to an iSCSI target and boot from it.

Back