Connecting a wireless router to a wired one

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by LeArN2LiVe, Apr 8, 2005.

1. LeArN2LiVe

LeArN2LiVe Limp Gawd

Quick question. I just got a free P3 laptop that came with a Cisco Aironet 340 Series 11Mbps Wireless Lan Adapter. Right now in my home I have a Netgear RP614 wired router with an extra port. I was thinking about buying a cheapo wireless router or whatever I need and hook it up to the last port via crossover cable. Would this be possible? How much extra configuration would be needed? And what exactly is the difference between these 101mbps and 11Mbps cards?

2. SomeFknGuy

SomeFknGuy [H]ard|Gawd

get a WAP and just use your existing router...

3. LeArN2LiVe

LeArN2LiVe Limp Gawd

Cool thanks. I should have researched this further. What about my 11Mbps gripes?

4. IceWindus

IceWindus n00b

The 108mpbs is unproven, unreliable and untested technology that the chipset manufactures use to push more of their routers out the door. The speeds and technology are not sanctioned by the wireless association. The result, is that routers that use these speed boosting techs have been proven time and time again to be unreliable, unstable and screw with other WAP in the area. Not only that, but you NEVER reach their advertised speeds, period.

If you are just web surfing, you will NOT see any performance increase from .11b from .11g. If your going to be doing file transfers via LAN, then yes upgrading to the .11g standard will greatly increase LAN data transfers