Connecting a TiVo to the internet through my computer

The_Dominion

Limp Gawd
I am wanting to take advantage of the new TiVo software that allows you to pull videos off of your TiVo, I do however need to connect the two.

What I have now is two network cards, one connected to my schools network, and the other network card connected via crossover cable to my TiVo. What I want to know is how network the TiVo to my computer in this fashion. It will need both access to the internet, and to be seen by the TiVo server software on my computer.

*side note* I have attempted to do this with a hub, and while it does indeed work it kills my bandwidth for some reason, and I don't feel like investing any money in this.

Thanks!

You can buy a 5-port 10/100 switch from D-Link off of newegg pretty cheap. I used to have a hub before I bought my switch and the switch is much better. You have dedicated bandwidth on each port, unlike a hub where you are sharing bandwidth.

Lyquist

Lyquist said:
You can buy a 5-port 10/100 switch from D-Link off of newegg pretty cheap. I used to have a hub before I bought my switch and the switch is much better. You have dedicated bandwidth on each port, unlike a hub where you are sharing bandwidth.

Lyquist

Just make sure you connect the source of your internet (ie, the cable that comes from the wall) to the uplink port. Most newer switches do this automatically, but some of the older/cheaper switches only share the bandwidth when the internet source is plugged into the uplink port.

Back