Connecting a motherboard/power supply together wit no case.

2004raptor

Limp Gawd
I think I have a bad mobo so I borrowed a working one from my brother-in-law. Trying to see if it is the mobo or power supply. I know the processor and video card(s) are good.

I have 2 different power supplies, two different motherboards, 2 vid cards, enough ram for each to have 2 sticks.
I have connected the ATX and ATX 12 V to the mobo. The cpu hs/fan is connected to the correct header.

I know I am getting power to at least one mobo because it has a small amber LED that will light up. Not sure about the other mobo because I borrowed it.
I've used a flat tip screwdriver to quickly (and not so quickly) touch both power pins to make a connection. Nothing. No fans at all.

Also, mobo is on a cardbooard box top so nothing can be shorted out. Any other suggestions?

kirbyrj said:
Are you sure you're touching the right pins?
Positive. I have both of the manuals and they both are the two red colored pins. Not sure if it would matter but the screwdriver I used was one with a magnetized tip. But I also tried an allen wrnech that came with my zalman fan. Surely either of those should have worked fine.

Use a paperclip to short the 2 pins for power on the front panel connectors on board. If the allen wrench or the screwdriver were plated, that would be your problem. Some platings are not very good at being conductive.

Yeah, I've sometimes run into problems with screwdriver tips being plated.

some power supplies require some draw on a 5v line to correctly operate. Plug a molex into an optical drive(in addition to the 24 and 4 pin plugs) and then try again to short out the power pins.

All good ideas, thanks. I'll try again over the weekend wiht a paperclip and plug a cdrom into it.

thanks.

Back