Connecting a gigabit switch to non-gigabit router

lowteckh

Supreme [H]ardness
So I built a WHS with a 10/100 ECS mobo that's connected to a WRT54G dd-wrt router, also 10/100 and am dying over the 10Mb/sec transfer rate. I'll be replacing the mobo with one with gigabit lan but I don't want to replace my router (not really into spending $100 for a 655 for a a tiny room), nor do I want to lose the wireless.

So the questions:
1) Can I stick a gigabit switch in the WRT54G?
2) If (1) is satisfied, can I get gigabit lan speeds if I plug the WHS and comp (just need the speed between them, other devices' speed matter not) to the switch/box?

Uber thanks. So I assume the systems connected with a gigabit switch basically communicates with each other through the switch and doesn't get 'relayed' to the router.

What's the verdict on the Dlink DGS-2205 for the job?

And... finally for now, if plugging the above switch to a ddwrt WRT54G, is it just plug and play?

Essentially that is how it works. I have the 8 port version of that switch and it works well. There is no configuration required, so yes, you pretty much just plug it in and it works.

Thanks for the info, gonna sleep better knowing I didn't have to throw a gargantuan amount of $ at this :D

Back