Connecticut Town To Burn Violent Video Games

There are two things being discussed here.

1. Does violent entertainment change the behavior in children? Yes, of course it does. Everything that children experience affects them, molds them. From the way their father treats their mother, to seeing how mom and dad face problems in life. All these things teach them.

Marinating in violence for hours also changes them. And I can't imagine how it could be for the better.

2. Should it be censored/banned?

That is a Band-Aid solution at best. Better if no one wanted to watch it, at all, then censorship would really be a moot point. So I guess the real issue, is why are we so drawn to it in the first place?

So can a message on a forum. ALL BANNED.

4i9h.jpg

That would be the Prohibition...outlawing of alcohol. Violent video games aren't going to be outlawed nor do I think there would be people distilling violent video games in their basements using bathtubs.

i was thinking the book burnings and banned book lists...thought prohibition was the 20s

I vote for not letting people that make bad parents reproduce. Unfortunately there is no sure fire way to know that ahead of time.

There are two things being discussed here.

1. Does violent entertainment change the behavior in children? Yes, of course it does. Everything that children experience affects them, molds them. From the way their father treats their mother, to seeing how mom and dad face problems in life. All these things teach them.

Marinating in violence for hours also changes them. And I can't imagine how it could be for the better.

2. Should it be censored/banned?

That is a Band-Aid solution at best. Better if no one wanted to watch it, at all, then censorship would really be a moot point. So I guess the real issue, is why are we so drawn to it in the first place?

Good I am not the only one. There are plenty of great books on the subject. On Killing and On Combat has a few chapters specificly on using the video game media as a great training tool to help soldiers disasociate the reality of the violence and become more productive and aggressive. Most of this was done in the mid 90's and is used today in training simulators.

I remember in the 90's when they had to burn copies of Mario Kart because kids kept racing go-karts in the street and throwing turtle shells at each other.

I've taken this into consideration, and while I've been a poster for years, some of this behavior, particularly the trolls really piss me off. Even so, I know why I joined here. Lets try to be objective, if you're not then you lose credibility, and most of this board is either biased or ignorant. It's funny, I use to get frustrated at how few seemed to have even read the story, but at least that's now over a decade ago, so I can keep that in mind. But I've really started to question how many actually pay attention to the OP, that's 7 pages ago. I see people spewing complete utter nonesense and pretending they've followed the entire thread, but a lot of the comments I've seen indicate to me that many either skipped them or are immature (or adults with the mental capacity of a kid) who are just trolling and/or biased. The fact is, I'm very knowledgeable on these things, and regardless of whether anyone cares, I get a good laugh out of these type of posters because they expose themselves every time.

The fact is, I'm very knowledgeable on these things, and regardless of whether anyone cares, I get a good laugh out of these type of posters because they expose themselves every time.

Thanks for your uber-enlightened opinion, o omnipotent lurker of [H]. :rolleyes:

Back