Connecticut Town To Burn Violent Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently there is going to be an asshat convention in Connecticut in the near future.

"As people arrive in their cars to turn in their games of violence, they will be offered a gift certificate donated by a member of the Greater Southington Chamber of Commerce as a token of appreciation for their action of responsible citizenship," the group said in a statement. "Violent games turned in will be destroyed and placed in the town dumpster for appropriate permanent disposal."

Brilliant! I'll bring in my old violent video games, then use the gift certificate to buy newer violent video games. What what in da butt.

My favorite part of that whole statement is "...the town dumpster..." :D

Is that like the village bicycle?

Don't blame the guy that pulled the trigger, blame the gun.

Don't blame the guy with the fucked up psyche, blame entertainment.

I am currently ashamed to admit that I live in the Town of Southington. :(

I'll probably head down there on the 12th to see exactly how it goes though. Hell, maybe even bring one or two of my GFs Twilight DVDs to see if they'll accept them.

In related news, video game sales in Southington, Connecticut have shot up 50% in the last two days. :p

Thank Christ. Those video games will never be able to kill anyone again. They should throw in some assault rifles, Marilyn Manson albums, and copies of Catcher in the Rye, too. Should save billions of lives.

And now the real reason Digital distribution exists. Can't destroy what you physically can't hold.

I just don't get it, why is there not this same level of effort put towards preventing death from motor vehicle accidents and such which account for a much, much greater number of deaths than homocide. I guess kids dieing in car accidents is fair game or some such. . .

Rip violent video games
Turn in physical copies of said violent video games
????
Profit

I see America truly is dying and decaying the way the Roman Empire did. Are we going to start burning witches again because it's cold out this time of year.

People like this make me ashamed to be part of the human race. What unbelievable fucking tools.

So by their logic burning violent video games will help get rid of a bad influence on people based on the assumption that video games were the main influence behind recent shootings in the news.

Based on that logic I have a better proposal. Burn all the bibles and qu'rans to get rid of pedophile priests and jihadists. I'll even do the leg work and collect all the creationism pseudo science books for free. Do we have a deal?

So by their logic burning violent video games will help get rid of a bad influence on people based on the assumption that video games were the main influence behind recent shootings in the news.

Based on that logic I have a better proposal. Burn all the bibles and qu'rans to get rid of pedophile priests and jihadists. I'll even do the leg work and collect all the creationism pseudo science books for free. Do we have a deal?

Then by that logic we will need to burn "The Origin of Species" because that helped to start Marxism/Communism and lead Stalin to lead the Great Purge with deaths of up to 2 million people. Also, it was influential with Hitler and the holocaust.

Deal?

Hah. Where in the Bible does it advocate being a pedophile?

The Catholic "church" is not really "Christian" in any form or fashion. It is a mash together of pagan religions and the adoption of different societies' traditions.

It gives the Bible a bad name.

Then by that logic we will need to burn "The Origin of Species" because that helped to start Marxism/Communism and lead Stalin to lead the Great Purge with deaths of up to 2 million people. Also, it was influential with Hitler and the holocaust.

Deal?

No. Educate yourself. Idiot.

The Catholic "church" is not really "Christian" in any form or fashion. It is a mash together of pagan religions and the adoption of different societies' traditions.

The Bible gives itself a bad name. Maybe you should read it sometime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought geeks were suppose to be smarter than this.

haha fucktards indeed.

oh good. they're burning movies too. Bring your Scarface movies.

For a narrow-minded town like Newtown, burning the mentally unstable would be a better solution. Yes, go back to the old days of tar 'n feathering and witch hunts, and throw them into the fire. Those guys will be your next killers. Nip it in the bud.

And now the real reason Digital distribution exists. Can't destroy what you physically can't hold.

Actually, you (or rather they) kinda sorta can - like how Amazon remotely deleted 1984 from people's Kindles. Revoking permissions or certificates on DRMed media or remotely deleting on sync are the digital equivalents of book burning.

That's not quite the same as voluntarily joining in a book/DVD/comic book/videogame burning though. If people really want to trash their video games, then more power to them. I won't be joining them.

How are future generations to protect themselve from lunatics if they don't play violent video games, OH THE IRONY!

I normally don't respond to retarded comments, but yours really takes the cake.

Since you haven't figured it out on your own, I'd like to inform you that you're a dumbass. Whether your comment is just your choice of trolling technique or you really are as ignorant as what you said, it would probably be best for you to just stop breathing.

Time to get free games everyone! The new Steam physical winter sale is on. You simply drive to Connecticut and pretend to be a protester against violent games and collect as many classics as you want. All for the low low price of FREE! Lucky protesters will receive free copies of Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Call of Duty, BF3, and many more!

Kinda reminds me of the old days when nutters would burn books that promoted "vice" and all that jazz.

Then why are you supporting craziness? Do you believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and that evolution is the creation of Satan to test your faith as well? :rolleyes:

Earth could very well be way over 6k years old.

"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void".
so the Earth was already there.. who knows for how long.

Us evolving from a pile of goo and somehow DNA magically assembling itself is a joke.

"Evolution" in and of itself, just not the way most people define it, is not out of the question.

Variations, such as different breeds of dogs, cats.. stuff like that is "evolution" as is mutation in diseases.

There is also "devolution", especially when in-breeding occurs. DNA becomes corrupted and you get malformities, etc.

One species evolving from another species is not going to and never has happened.

the irony is the premise of the hunger games is a lot more screwed up and violent than any video game I've ever played

If you really want to burn those that are responsible, how about burning the shitty parents at the stake instead?

Wait what you all have not considered is the fact that all this shootings have one thing besides a gun in common, the nut cases all used cars. So lets go after the car makers.

Back