Connect to two networks simultaneously?

olaf2821

[H]ard|Gawd
Here is the scenario:
I have an IBM T42 (Win 2K Pro) for work that I connect to via VPN, it has a wireless and Gb NIC installed and connected. I need to be able to connect to work, and be able to see my local shares and most importantly shared printers. My laptop is also on a different domain (for work) than my local workgroup. I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I am coming up empty on this one. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Being able to access local recources when VPN'd into work is often dependant on the VPN software.
With our Cisco VPN Client I can get to my local domain / shares
but with our Nortel Extranet Access Client i can't.

The VPN software will often force itself to be the default route and assign a better Interface Metric than your NIC has normally.

I'm using the Cisco Client v. 4.02, I wonder if I need to be a member of the domain when I am at home to login to work.

I'm running 4.6
If you right click on the connection entry in question, go to 'Modify'
and look at the 'Transport' tab do you see a check box at the bottom for "allow local LAN access'?

Can you ping the resource in question once the VPN session is up?

I'd also talk to your company about this. Some places force VPN policies that do not allow this type of thing because your home network may not be as secure as the work network. They don't want to get some virus because your subscription ran out at home.

Back