Connect HTPC to AV Receiver

lone wolf

Gawd
I am just about to pull the trigger and buy a nice Yamaha receiver and Infinity speakers, but have this question:

How do I connect the HTPC to this receiver? My motherboard says it has 8 channel sound and right now I have it connected to my TV via the 1/8" cable.

I was told that I can't get the surround sound via this cable from the sales guy, so what is the best way to connect?

You can use the 1/8" cables if the receiver has all the analog inputs, but I would suggest using the HDMI cable.

What Yamaha receiver are you looking at?

You can use the 1/8" cables if the receiver has all the analog inputs, but I would suggest using the HDMI cable.

Indeed, since you're buying a new receiver anyway just make sure it has HDMI in/outs. Makes the process so much easier :)

Indeed, since you're buying a new receiver anyway just make sure it has HDMI in/outs. Makes the process so much easier :)

I am not sure if this board can do 7.1 LPCM over HDMI. It *might* be able to do 5.1, however most 780G's (which the 790GX is a ATX version of I think) can only do 2.1 with one board (a Gigabyte) being able to do 5.1 over HDMI.

What graphics card does the OP have? If he can splurge (provided his card wont do 7.1 over HDMI) something like a ATI 4550 can decode the audio and send out over HDMI and they can be had for like 50 bucks at the egg.

I am not sure if this board can do 7.1 LPCM over HDMI. It *might* be able to do 5.1, however most 780G's (which the 790GX is a ATX version of I think) can only do 2.1 with one board (a Gigabyte) being able to do 5.1 over HDMI.

What graphics card does the OP have? If he can splurge (provided his card wont do 7.1 over HDMI) something like a ATI 4550 can decode the audio and send out over HDMI and they can be had for like 50 bucks at the egg.

I have a Nvidia 9800 GT. I bought this card back February along with this board. I went to a local AV store here and that Yamaha is the one that I was looking at, though they want around 500$ for it.

So my best thing to do is to buy a receiver then have my HTPC connected via HDMI? if that is the best then I will pick this up tomorrow.

Going HDMI is the easiest but you get gimped results with NV's cards right now. Pick up a 4550/4600 and you'll be good.

What Yamaha are you looking at? I can get you a HTR-6250 for $350 or a HTR-6260 for $375.

They are brand new, shipped directly from the distributor and come with a full warranty which is 2 years I believe. And those prices include shipping.

You live in Idaho? If so it could ship out from CA. Probably 1 or 2 day shipping.

Montana. which is the better of the two?

Sound wise they are really the same. Both have the same amplifier and surround decoders. The 6260 has more features which may be worth it. For one, it has all the analog inputs in case you don't use the HDMI connection. It also have pre-outs for all the channels if you decide to buy a separate amp to power your speakers. It is ready for satellite radio and also has a second zone. The second zone allows you to hook up speakers to zone 2 and play something different at the same time your main zone is turned on. For example: Main zone you have a movie playing in your living you. On the second zone you have the radio playing in a different room on a separate pair of speakers.

For the money, the 6260 is better for possible upgrades in your home theater down the road.

Below is a link to compare the two side by side.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/Detail.html?compitem1=&compitem2=5028502&compitem3=5028501&CTID=5000400&VNM=LIVE&comp_items=5028502&comp_items=5028501&B_compare.x=26&B_compare.y=15

sorry to revive this thread, but I'm still having issues with my sound to my receiver. I ended up taking back the yamaha and purchased a Denon 1909. Great receiver, bear to setup, but its sounding great.

I have a BFG 9800 GT video card in my system for gaming. If I remove the video card, I can't get audio thru HDMI. and all I have are the ports for the normal pc speakers. is there another option available? No matter what I have tried, I still can't get surround sound from my HTPC.

thanks again.

sorry to revive this thread, but I'm still having issues with my sound to my receiver. I ended up taking back the yamaha and purchased a Denon 1909. Great receiver, bear to setup, but its sounding great.

I have a BFG 9800 GT video card in my system for gaming. If I remove the video card, I can't get audio thru HDMI. and all I have are the ports for the normal pc speakers. is there another option available? No matter what I have tried, I still can't get surround sound from my HTPC.

thanks again.

Might head over to AVSForum in addition to posting here. They have very extensive threads regarding HTPC's as well.

You will also want to check that you are enabling HDMI audio after you take out your graphics card and disabling all other playback devices. I had similar issues when switching between using my computer speakers and my reciever with my graphics cards.

When it comes to add-in cards for HTPC's (not integrated solutions), ATI/AMD is the way to go. Their video cards have built in "sound cards" that directly interface with the onboard HDMI port.

Nvidia cards are a pain to setup (occasionaly) to get audio over HDMI, and you can only do compressed 5.1 DD and DTS. ATI cards allow full lossless 7.1 LPCM.

i just bought a Onkyo 605... there are a lot of little details to look at when buying a AVR. You need to do homework before buying otherwise you will be dissapointed. Doesnt matter how much the AVR is or what the sales guy tells you.

lots of high end AVRs dont decode 7.1 TrueHD from HDMI many don't upconvert analog to digtal and then output via HDMI and many will not upmix 5.1 to 7.1 audio from an HDMI source.

check out AVSforum and do lots of reading before buying. an AVR should be a long term investment and you need to look for features in an AVR and sound quality comes from speakers

i just bought a Onkyo 605... there are a lot of little details to look at when buying a AVR.

How is the Onkyo 605? I was thinking of that one also. Thinking of pairing that
with an Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD when they are available.

How is the Onkyo 605? I was thinking of that one also. Thinking of pairing that
with an Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD when they are available.

I have the 605. very nice AVR it can decode any HD audio like TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio.

I have the blue ray panny BK-30 and I bit stream to that avr and the avr decode all HD loseless audio. sounds awesome

The only "downside" of the 605 is it won't upmix PCM. So whatever you output over HDMI, that's what it will play... no way to force the receiver to do anything else (for example, to upmix stereo to use the center channel, or to upmix 5.1 to 7.1). It is possible to circumvent that (if you care) via software.

I say "downside" because it's not really much of a limitation (I only noticed going from my old receiver connected via optical). Receiver works great otherwise :) Awesome buy for the price.

yeah the 2 HDMI is the only real bad thing...

I will get an HDMI IR switch from monoprice and use my AVL300 to control it seamlessly..

but ATM i only have my HTPC hooked up to it, since its my DVD player, blu-ray player and mild gaming machine

I hate the fact that 605 only has 2 HDMI input.

Yeah might be a limit for some. I have an HDMI switch, just never taken it out of the box because I've never needed it.

All I have is the HTPC and xbox360 so works perfectly for me... the Wii uses ghetto component still (which is actually nice lol)

Back