Connect Corsair H100i Pro to ASUS motherborad prime Z390-A connectors confusion

zillah

Limp Gawd
Dear folks

Trying to build new computers and I got confused where to connect Corsair H100i Pro to ASUS motherborad prime Z390-A.

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/PRIME-Z390-A/

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-PRO-RGB-Liquid-CPU-Coolers/p/CW-9060033-WW

I have confused which one it would the right connector

The confused motherboard connectors for me are :

"CHA_FAN1",,,,,,,,,"CHA_FAN2",,,,,,,"CPU FAN" ,,,,,,,,,"CPU_OPT",,,,,,,,,,,,"AIO_PUMP"

My interpretation as below :
-----------------------------------
1-Case is Phanteks Eclipse P400A Tempered Glass bty default has two chassis fans rear and front,,,,I would assume that those two fans should be connected to connectors called : "CHA_FAN1" and "CHA_FAN2" not CPU_FAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Is that right

2- Cooler pump has 4 cables two of them supposed to be connected to the cooler's fan based on this video (Yes it might not be authenticated source),,,,,,Can someone confirm if that is correct ?

One cable supposed to be connected to "AIO_PUMP" ,,,,,,,Can someone confirm if that is correct ? as I have seen it was connected to be "CPU_FAN" connector ?

And the last one which is SATA type would be connected to PSU,,,,no confusion here

Thx

Last edited:
1-Case is Phanteks Eclipse P400A Tempered Glass bty default has two chassis fans rear and front,,,,I would assume that those two fans should be connected to connectors called : "CHA_FAN1" and "CHA_FAN2" not CPU_FAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Is that right
Correct

2- Cooler pump has 4 cables two of them supposed to be connected to the cooler's fan based on this video (Yes it might not be authenticated source),,,,,,Can someone confirm if that is correct ?
the 2 fans need to be connected to the pump, 1 to a USB 2.0 connector, 1 to the motherboard and the last one is the sata power

One cable supposed to be connected to "AIO_PUMP" ,,,,,,,Can someone confirm if that is correct ? as I have seen it was connected to be "CPU_FAN" connector ?
It works fine with it connected to CPU_FAN if you don't attach anytrhing to that one your pc might not boot and you may need to change it in the bios first if you want to use AIO_pump header

And the last one which is SATA type would be connected to PSU,,,,no confusion here
correct

You only need to connect the AIO_Pump header when the pump is powered by a fan header. If your pump is powered by a SATA connector, then don't worry about the AIO_Pump. The fans on your radiator can be on the CPU_fan header(s).

Thx Denpep for the clarifications
Just I need to understand do I need to connect both SATA power and USB cable as well ? I feel both meant to supply power to the cooler ?

Last edited:
Thx kirbyri
You only need to connect the AIO_Pump header when the pump is powered by a fan header.
Noted and clear to me

If your pump is powered by a SATA connector, then don't worry about the AIO_Pump.
I feel (not sure) the pump is powered by two things :
A-SATA type connection which supposed to be connected to power supply unit
B-USB port on the cooler which is supposed to be connected USB 2.0 terminal

Do I need to connect those two power source ?

The fans on your radiator can be on the CPU_fan header(s).
Which are on my motherboard called : "CPU_FAN" & "CPU_OPT"

I'm pretty sure the power for the pump comes from the data connection. The USB just provides data to the software.

The H100 series has two fans. You can connect them to the CPU fan and CPU opt or you can use a splitter. Many times a splitter is included in the package.

Sorry I'm on my phone. I meant to say that the power comes from sata and the USB is only for data.

Sorry I'm on my phone. I meant to say that the power comes from sata and the USB is only for data.
No problem I did underrated that

In this case the 3 pin cable from the pump where I am supossed to connect it to CPU_FAN or AIO_PUMP ?
You only need to connect the AIO_Pump header when the pump is powered by a fan header.

As someone who owns multiple versions of this product, and I won't bother to read other replies, you need to connect these things -

SATA Power cable for the entire unit. This powers the entire AIO & fans. Do not plug the fans into a different fan controller besides the AIO itself. The AIO itself will adjust the fan speed as needed and it can't do this if you don't plug the fans into the AIO fan leads.

CPU_FAN ; This needs to be attached to the CPU_FAN header on your motherboard. All this does is trick the motherboard into seeing RPM of the pump. You can plug this into AIO_PUMP if you want, but it's easier to just follow corsair's directions here so you don't have to screw around with the motherboard defaults. This also means that you if the pump in the AIO ever craps out you'll be alerted because this is the RPM being pushed over this cable. This also means the USB cable is optional, because you don't need to rely on iCue to see if the pump is running.

The USB cable going into the pump is optional and is only used to change the LED colors, and use iCue to change pump & fan speed settings. If you don't plug it in, or use iCue the AIO will run in whatever mode you last chose, or the default of 'Balanced' mode which is really the only mode you should run it in anyways. I don't bother plugging the USB cable in because the iCue software sucks big time, the default balanced mode the AIO will run in anyways is already the optimal pump/fan speeds, and I don't give a shit about LED colors.

The USB cable has nothing to do with power for the AIO. The AIO draws all power from the SATA power connection.

Last edited:
Thnaks Mchart
The USB cable has nothing to do with power for the AIO. The AIO draws all power from the SATA power connection.
Yes as other mentioned

CPU_FAN ; This needs to be attached to the CPU_FAN header on your motherboard.
I don't have CPU FAN attached to the CPU,,,,,But yes I do have Corsair's Cooler FANs and Chassis FANs.,,,,,Chassis FANs known where they should be connected no issue
Are you saying that Corsair's Cooler FANs need to be connected to "CPU_FAN" and "CPU_OPT" headres

No, the fans attach direct to the AIO fan lines. The CPU_FAN wire needs to attach to your CPU_FAN header on the motherboard if you want the motherboard at the BIOS level to know what the RPM of the AIO is. It's the only way you'll know the pump is running outside of the crappy iCue software that relies on the USB connection to the AIO.

should have bought this one ... Fractal Design Celsius S36

yea, I know ... too bland, no fancy crapola - just a solid well designed all-in-one CPU cooler

folks swallow the marketing bait called RGB ... the lust of the eyes can never be satisfied same as fire, which never says, 'Enough!'

The RGB sucks on the Corsair stuff anyways because it requires you run their iCue software, and the settings won't stick after a power cycle.

That being said, most of the corsair stuff has RGB now by default. It's not like you pay extra for it.

Back