Confused

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Im confused ok

Whats the differance between a switch and a router?

What would I need for a network? I want to run a file server wher ethe computers can access files etc and two comps for games surfing working etc....

Could I Have a cable modem plug the ethernet port to a switch and buy 3 more ethernet cables and plug them in 3 differnt computers and get internet access?

The basic home routers such as linksys/dlink/netgear are basically units used for dhcp serving (layer 3 capability with a layer two switch integrated). Switches are normally layer two units and basically all they do is connect computers together (simplistic terms).

In most situations you require a router to share the internet between all your computers, you can also share files between your machines just as if you were connected to a switch. Also, a router normally tends to have a built in firewall so you can have an extra layer of protection.

If your ISP provides each computer with an IP address, then a switch would suffice for your needs.

In either case, all you need to do is plug your cable modem into the devices whether it be a switch or a router.

Back