Confused young CCNA in need of suggestions!

What do you see yourself specializing in during your career? Do you have an interest that is stronger than the others?

What do you see yourself specializing in during your career? Do you have an interest that is stronger than the others?

The answer to this will answer your question, now is the time to try out things that you think you are interested in to find out if you are or not, and if you're not you still have time to switch and learn something else. ;)

depending on the hardware version, PIX can run ver. 7+, which means it works just like an ASA, except without the AIP-SSM. Look at the PIX wiki to see which versions support which, you want a PIX that can support 7+ and have an unrestricted license

As a Network Engineer, I have never needed to know any C or C++; I do, however, often make use of Perl and simple sed/awk/cut bash scripts on Linux to automate configuration of switches, etc. And I also make heavy-use of many perl/php-based programs (Rancid, Cacti, etc); knowing some basic scripting is going to be very helpful.

depending on the hardware version, PIX can run ver. 7+, which means it works just like an ASA, except without the AIP-SSM. Look at the PIX wiki to see which versions support which, you want a PIX that can support 7+ and have an unrestricted license

Sorta, You need a 515 or higher to run 7.0+ The 501, 506 or 506E won't run ver 7.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys!

Back to my original post though, do you guys believe that learning Firewall technologies (Such as PIX) would be the most beneficial in the long run as a Network Engineer?

Very much so. At technology progresses, and especially in larger corporate environments, there will be more and more emphasis placed on internal network security. Firewalling between departments, groups, etc is only 1 way of providing that security.

Lots of great info in here.

Like others said, really depends on what you want to do. I am a Network Engineer, but more of a consultant really. I design and implement new networks and or hardware. I hardly ever touch a server, I've never used my training in C# or C++. Basic batch files is the only thing I've ever used and some PHP/MySql for programs that need them.

If you want to stick with Cisco only stuff, brush up on every piece of hardware you can get you're hands on. They all have niche's and act a little different.

Get a ASA/PIX (ver 7+) and play with it till your head bleeds. Try everything, then break it and then fix it.

The more you know, the better. I however wouldn't focus solely on one piece of equipment. In my job, I've touched nearly every piece of equipment Cisco has on the market. Everyone wants something different and configured a different way.

Good Luck!

As a network engineer myself, I recommend networksims.com to get familiar with the software side. While I'm a big fan of physical hardware for labs and getting used to supporting them, this sim has a ton of training in regards to multiple certs. Great price too!

Back