confused with new Sony Z SSD setup

Aumakua

Limp Gawd
okay so the new Sony Z is on their website now. Comes standard with 128GB SSD, says RAID 0, also says 128GB x 1. they have upgrade options like 192GB which is a 128GB plus a 64GB, it goes all the way up to 512GB I think which is 256 x 2.

Where I am confused is how the RAID comes into play, so if you order the basic 128GB version, are you really getting two 64GB drives working in RAID and they are calling it a 128GB drive? Or are they giving you two 128GB drives in raid? I have never used raid so please excuse my ignorance to the subject, all I really know about it is that two hard drives (think they have to be identical) work together for faster read/write times.

I would be a little pissed if I thought I was getting 128GB but its really 2 64GB drives which only gives me 64GB of usable space...
Sony really needs to be more clear on this as not too many customers know what RAID is but they are putting it standard in a mainstream notebook.

It's raid 0, 2 64gb drives = 1 128gb drive The SSD's are doublesided so a 128gb drive is 64gb on each side for a 2 drive raid 0 128gb. The 192gb is a 3 drive raid 0. The 256gb I have heard in the european version is 4 drive raid 0 aka the quad ssd setup but in the U.S. supposedly it is 2 x 128gb drives and you must purchase the 512gb version to get the quad ssd setup but I am really not sure.

For raid 0 you just add up the space on all drives in the array to get your total space, it will show as one drive the sum of the size of all individual drives added togethor.

thanks, I think that is where I was confused with RAID, I thought if you had say two 500GB Hard Drives working in RAID, you only had 500GB of space available because it was using the two together to give you faster response times, but you would actually have 1TB in RAID 0 with that setup?

So when Sony shows the SSD options, those are the actual ammounts of free storage you will have?

When you have more drives working in RAID 0 does it get faster or slower?
Also sort of on subject, does TRIM work with RAID or is it not needed?

Yes 2 500gb will be 1TB, the more drives you add the faster it gets, Trim we won't know about until it releases what they have setup. Most likely it will be some form of garbage collection as I have not seen any trim working with raid 0 previously.

Aumakua, you're thinking of RAID1 which mirrors the drives, in a 2x 500gb RAID1 array, you would have 500GB of available space, and if one of those drives failed, you would still have all the data on the second. In RAID0, if one of those drives fails, you lose everything. There are several types of raid arrays, the wiki article is pretty good at describing each level if you're interested.

Back