Confused new T-Mobile contract free Vs. Go Smart

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Ok I am confused here, :rolleyes:

Today T-Mobile announced their major shakeup of new pricing, and being the first contract free big carrier in the U.S. ok that's great and hope more do that. And supposedly the best lowest pricing. But I don't understand this.

T-Mobile just came out with "Go Smart" last month, it is like Straight Talk, but officially through T-Mobile, and T-Mobile customer service, and contract free.

Go Smart is $45/Month, for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 5GD/Data = HSPA+ 42mb/sec.
https://www.gosmartmobile.com/

Where as the new T-Mobile deal is $60/Month for Unlimited minutes, Unlimited texts, and only 2GB/Data
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/individual-plans.aspx

Why wouldn't you go with "Go Smart" for $15 less per month, and 3GB more data allowance ? Both deals still officially through T-Mobile, and same customer service, same everything, this is not Straight Talk.

TMO is *great* if you do 3 or more lines on a family plan

me? I'll stick with $30 a month/unlimited data walmart plan

Tmobile seems like a pretty epic deal, especially if you're going to be using 3+ phones- right now we pay VZW $230/mo after taxes- tmobile would be about $100 less per month. Even though we would be hit with a $700 ETF.... seriously... we would recoup that in 7mo and be out ahead after that. My only concern is that the whole reason I switched us over to VZW was their 700MHz spectrum- even in the depths of the hospital in the surgical bays I have LTE service- everyone else with an AT&T phone is SOL.... I doubt TMo would do much better as their spectrum holdings are higher frequencies (like Sprint).

With Go Smart would you be able to roam onto AT&T's network? If not, that alone would be worth the few extra bucks per month just to ensure voice coverage wherever you go.

I have a question. Now that T-Mobile has this new, no contract thing, and selling phones for I competitive prices.

What is the Nexus 4 going for today at T-Mobile ? It should be $349 for 16gb not one penny more.

I doubt TMo would do much better as their spectrum holdings are higher frequencies (like Sprint).

Don't do it, it's a trick! Tmobile data is bad in almost every place I have ever been. It has spots here and there where its good, but generally speaking its not good. They cram people onto towers and don't give a crap if it's overloaded because they technically have service there, even if you can't grab it when you need it.

The GoSmart plans only offer 3G speeds that throttle down to 2G speeds once you exceed the cap
"Up to 5GB of High-Speed web (5GB at 3G speeds, then 2G speeds for the rest of the cycle)."

The regular plans offer 4G speeds that throttle down to 3G speeds
and
"Includes Smartphone Mobile HotSpot for device tethering" with the price

I haven't had a chance to check the phones available but presumably you wouldn't get the same options of buying phones at special rates (T-mobile does this thing where you make a down payment as a portion of the price and then pay it off in $20 dollar increments each month)

I have a question. Now that T-Mobile has this new, no contract thing, and selling phones for I competitive prices.

What is the Nexus 4 going for today at T-Mobile ? It should be $349 for 16gb not one penny more.

Buy the N4 directly from the Google Play store. The cell companies charge more for whatever reason. It is $299 for the 16gb and $349 for the 32gb from Google.

Don't do it, it's a trick! Tmobile data is bad in almost every place I have ever been. It has spots here and there where its good, but generally speaking its not good. They cram people onto towers and don't give a crap if it's overloaded because they technically have service there, even if you can't grab it when you need it.

T-Mobile reception and data is fantastic in my area. Saying the entire carrier sucks is ridiculous.

Man I'm so confused. Every other person has a different take on T-Mobile.

But no one has answered the OP's question. Why wouldn't you choose "Go Smart"?

Keep in mind the cheaper option offers no roaming, so the coverage areas will be pretty bad in some (if not most) areas.

Back