Confused About Stock Over Provisioning on 840 Drives

fn9

Weaksauce
I read Samsung's article here:

https://www.samsung.com/global/busi...isite/SSD/global/html/about/whitepaper05.html

"Users with large SSDs (250GB+) will likely not use all of the available space on their drives as long as they are not storing large amounts of photos, video or other media files. Thus, a casual user with a large-capacity SSD may not need to set aside any extra space for OP. The SSD will naturally use any available free space to perform its maintenance algorithms"

[so, for a user with say, 75 GB always free, is there zero benefit to creating an OP space through Samsung's software?]

Also, what's the deal with needing to turn on the defragment service in order to enable OP? Is it just to allow the RAW part. to be created, and the defrag service can then be safely disabled after the RAW space is established?

Last edited:
It's not defrag any more, it's "Optimize" which defrags HDD's and trims SSD's, leave it alone.

I appreciate your reply, but this is actually not the case. It seems I cannot attach files, otherwise I would post a screenshot.

Back