confused about a64 memory

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I just ordered an Aopen ak86l mobo and a 2800+ Athlon 64 from newegg. While I am waiting for it to arrive I downloaded the pdf for the Mobo. Under the memory configs it seems to indicate that I cannot use 3 DDR 400 dimms at the same time. I have 3 256 trancend ddr 400 dimms I was planning to use. Am what I'm thinking true that if I want more than 512 I will have to buy only 2 512s or 2 1gig modules? Also the pdf talks about 8x anmd 16x banks. Is there a guide somewhere that explains all this? Thanks

no guide sorry, i dont know what it says about banks of chips as i havent seen that before but basically you will want only 2 dimms if you want to run at DDR400, double sided that is, i think you can run 3 single sided dimms at DDR333 and 3 double sided at DDR200.

Maybe the AOpen is picky about how many chips are on the dimms, i dont know, but what i said above is what stands for my A64 board.

Hope it is simple enough.

Rob

Its not Aopen is picky its Athlon 64 memory controler is. You can run two dimms at 400MHz or three at 333MHz. Basicly the signal loss of three dimms is to much for the AMD controler. The best thing to do if you are buying new memory is get one stick of the final size you want.

Back