Confirmed: Xbox Series S Price and Design

Killer Instinct can run at 4K/60 on the Xbox One X. The details are still lower than on the PC, but it's not far off.
That's the only game I can think of that isn't a remake/remaster and such. Most games (like Gears) give you the choice of 4K/30 or HD/60.

Whatever the X1X can do on 4k, the series S can do better on 1080p

Whatever the Series S can do at 1080p, the X1X can do better at 1080p. See how that argument is flawed?

OP needs an update. MS confirmed the price of the series S and Windows Central leaked the X version will be priced at $500.
Last edited: Today at 2:38 AM

I updated it to reflect the official announcement hours before this post. Changes to the thread title do not always happen instantly on the forum, but the OP itself was edited.

Half the SSD of series X

saving grace is that it should have the expandable cartridge slot. But that is razor(or printer) with cartridge model.

cc Derangel

View attachment 277282

Tom Warren (@tomwarren) Tweeted:
more Xbox Series S leaks:

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1303259742110912514?s=20

Thanks. I'll add this to the OP.

It's slower than a current gen xbox and ps4. Why would it deliver anything next gen? This will only play next gen via a cloud service. Sad day for gamers.

Something to keep in mind: Teraflops are NOT a direct indicator of gaming performance. RDNA 2 is not GCN, you cannot directly compare Tflops to get performance numbers. All rumors point to this being more powerful than the Xbox One X.

I saw this and assumed it was a hoax / rumor / BS

The case is a lot uglier than I thought, props to them, it takes work to shatter my expectations.
I need an optical drive though so this is not the device for me and for that I am thankful.

Which is stupid because not all games run at 4k or 1080p. When you turn on Ray-Tracing you won't be able to achieve 4k easily even with the Xbox Series X, so I can't imagine this being good for the weaker "S". The PS5 at $400 sounds like a better buy. Also "S" is a stupid letter to choose as people can call it Xbox Series Shit.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, in that cloud gaming has no future. Therefore the "S" model has no future. When the pandemic started Netflix and YouTube had to limit the stream quality so the services could function. You don't think cloud gaming won't be effected by this? People already forgot about Geforce Now and Stadia. Nvidia's RTX 3000 series is going to have a feature to reduce latency, which is contradicting of their Geforce Now service.
How do you know the PS5 is $400?

Not sure if its just me, but this generation looks hideous!

They’re not the best looking consoles for sure, but whatever. I mostly care about the games and whether or not they’re auditoning to be SpaceX’s next rocket.

The worst part of this is I'll no longer be able to piss my brother in-law off by calling his console the Xbone repeatedly. True story, it drives him nuts.

Comment from a developer in reddit

Mr..Keema (@KeemaMr) Tweeted:
A developer weighs in on Xbox Series S, no holding back. https://t.co/jBrDjJSz76
https://twitter.com/KeemaMr/status/1303661969644412929?s=20

EheJWqbWsAIk-rC.png

View attachment 277607

Shame about that though.

Referring to backwards compatibility.

It is a bit of a shame, but at the same time, you have to cut that cord at the some point. Microsoft (or Sony, or...) isn't going to keep a Blu-ray drive around for all eternity just to run old games, and discs are quickly becoming impractical as a whole.

I also suspect people like SadTater there would find a reason to complain either way. If Xbox Series S had included a Blu-ray drive, there's a real chance he'd be moaning that the price was $349. He also seems to forget that there's a Series X (albeit considerably more expensive) that will play his old games if he doesn't have them on digital.

It is a bit of a shame, but at the same time, you have to cut that cord at the some point. Microsoft (or Sony, or...) isn't going to keep a Blu-ray drive around for all eternity just to run old games, and discs are quickly becoming impractical as a whole.

I also suspect people like SadTater there would find a reason to complain either way. If Xbox Series S had included a Blu-ray drive, there's a real chance he'd be moaning that the price was $349. He also seems to forget that there's a Series X (albeit considerably more expensive) that will play his old games if he doesn't have them on digital.
I went digital on my games the first moment I could for the impracticality of disks and kids not damaging or losing. You can get digital sales that are far cheaper than new prices even on platform stores. Just have to exercise patience. If they would have went through with the digital push last gen this would be even less of an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
You can get digital says that are far cheaper than new prices

Yea no. Last two AAA games i got for 54 from amazon, played them, and sold on ebay for 45 2 weeks later. So 9 dollars and i played on launch day.

Yea no. Last two AAA games i got for 54 from amazon, played them, and sold on ebay for 45 2 weeks later. So 9 dollars and i played on launch day.
Didn't catch my typo, meant to say digital sales later if you wait. You can get 5-20 games on sales that happen frequently on older games that like I said you have to be patient for that to be an option.

So big Xbox is $499 and the S is $299. Not bad. Maybe PS5 can come in at $550ish?

Apparently, digital foundry was shown the Xbox Series S in March, itself, by Microsoft

according to a new Digital Foundry analysis, which notes that because Xbox Series S has less RAM than Microsoft’s highest-end current-gen console (10GB vs 12 GB), it’s “almost a forgone conclusion” that its backwards compatible games will be drawing upon the less powerful Xbox One S versions.

After expressing concern that the smaller memory might make it run back-compat games in the Xbox1s mode, they admit that games can possibly run in true 1080p in series S, without any cpu/gpu bottlenecks of xbox1s

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...e-able-to-run-xbox-one-x-content-its-claimed/

Screenshot_2020-09-11-20-58-07-373.jpeg

Apparently, digital foundry was shown the Xbox Series S in March, itself, by Microsoft

After expressing concern that the smaller memory might make it run back-compat games in the Xbox1s mode, they admit that games can possibly run in true 1080p in series S, without any cpu/gpu bottlenecks of xbox1s

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...e-able-to-run-xbox-one-x-content-its-claimed/

View attachment 278266

VGC (@VGC_News) Tweeted:
UPDATE: A Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to VGC that Xbox Series S will run Xbox One S versions of backwards compatible games, with auto HDR and "more consistent" framerates.

https://t.co/OJ3JWMkyik
https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1304482993986252804?s=20

cc Derangel

“To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR,” Microsoft added.

Microsoft hasn’t given a specific reason as to why the Xbox Series S can’t stand toe to toe with last generation’s flagship, but according to Digital Foundry, it has everything to do with a lack of RAM. The Xbox One X has 12 GB of RAM, while the Series S only has 10 GB of memory.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...one-x-enhancements-4k-hdr-due-to-limited-ram/

cc Derangel

“To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR,” Microsoft added.

Microsoft hasn’t given a specific reason as to why the Xbox Series S can’t stand toe to toe with last generation’s flagship, but according to Digital Foundry, it has everything to do with a lack of RAM. The Xbox One X has 12 GB of RAM, while the Series S only has 10 GB of memory.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...one-x-enhancements-4k-hdr-due-to-limited-ram/

cc Derangel

In response to a query from VGC, Microsoft explained that, rather than utilising existing Xbox One X enhancements, Xbox Series S will instead run Xbox One S versions of backward compatible games and apply its own enhancements

The exact enhancements offered by XsS will differ on a game-by-game basis, but Microsoft says players can expect to see:
  • improved texture filtering,
  • higher & more consistent frame rates
  • faster load times
  • Auto HDR
imo, this probably means that series S enhanced games might run at 1080p rather than 1440p (which can be auto-upscaled to a 4K TV)

So if you have series S connected to a 4K TV with output auto-upscaled to 4K, then for series S enhanced games it would be auto-upscaling 1080p output to 4K
Whereas for modern games, depending on the game, load, & mode it should be possible to have a 1440p output from series S auto-upscaled to 4K monitor

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...box-one-x-backward-compatibility-enhancements

cc Derangel Schro cybereality

https://twitter.com/davidmickner/status/1303391432183435264?s=21

i feel the same way. Not sure why this is being applauded.

It's a mixed bag. Yeah, it theoretically holds back Xbox games by making developers target the lowest common denominator, but it could also open the door for gamers who want an improved experience without spending as much as they would on a good mid-range phone. It could fail, or it could work spectacularly.

There are many consumers who either have a 1080p TV or they are completely satisfied with 1440p upscaled to 4K.

Microsoft doesn't want to lose that audience

a 4k console will work just fine with a 1080p television. Not to mention, how many 1440p and checkerboard "4k" games are we going to get anyway.

quite a few developers in the industry are concerned about the console’s significantly lower specs (though several others seem to have positive impressions)

Gavin Stevens, co-owner and design lead at indie studio Team Blur Games, doesn’t think it’s going to be much of an issue. In a long, detailed breakdown of the console’s specs, Stevens explained that there are various factors to take into consideration here, that collectively mean that while developers are going to have to spend additional time and resources on scaling their games back for the Xbox Series S, the console isn’t going to hold back next-gen games.

He does, however, go on to say that he expects games on the Xbox Series S to mostly hit 1080p instead of the promised 1440p figure to deal with the GPU in the console.

Interestingly enough, Stevens also talks about ray tracing. Though the Xbox Series S is capable of ray tracing, Stevens says that he expects that eventually, most games on the console will turn ray tracing on the Xbox Series S down or even off due to the console’s specs.

https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-series-...en-visuals-and-game-design-says-developer/amp

quite a few developers in the industry are concerned about the console’s significantly lower specs (though several others seem to have positive impressions)

Gavin Stevens, co-owner and design lead at indie studio Team Blur Games, doesn’t think it’s going to be much of an issue. In a long, detailed breakdown of the console’s specs, Stevens explained that there are various factors to take into consideration here, that collectively mean that while developers are going to have to spend additional time and resources on scaling their games back for the Xbox Series S, the console isn’t going to hold back next-gen games.

He does, however, go on to say that he expects games on the Xbox Series S to mostly hit 1080p instead of the promised 1440p figure to deal with the GPU in the console.

Interestingly enough, Stevens also talks about ray tracing. Though the Xbox Series S is capable of ray tracing, Stevens says that he expects that eventually, most games on the console will turn ray tracing on the Xbox Series S down or even off due to the console’s specs.

https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-series-...en-visuals-and-game-design-says-developer/amp

Comment from dev working on Borderlands 3 for Next Gen right now:

"We have been able to do the work we want on Anaconda and get it running on Lockhart with not a ton of work but it has required a bit more time to make sure the code runs on both machines in the same fashion. Its not something we are really worried about anymore. As the generation goes on I feel like this will be the approach for many studios. You start on Anaconda and then optimize for Lockhart. There is nothing the Lockhart can't do that the Anaconda can.

the tools provided by Microsoft have come a long way. They make it very easy to jump from one kit to another and the Lockhart kit is equipped with a lot of tools that help you see exactly where code needs to be looked at. Ray Tracing is one area that they seemed to have focused on and have made it very easy to adjust the levels."

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/deve...ack-next-gen-and-ps5-vs-xsx-dev-kits.1553103/

Yar, agreed that the S seems better suited towards 1080p than 1440p. I'm a bit surprised they put so much emphasis on 1440p. Sure, 1440p is popular on the PC side but your average console consumer would probably be more familiar with 1080p and 4k.

I'm hoping this 'resolution scaling' becomes simple enough that developers are able to add support for different resolutions in the future. I think it'd be pretty cool if XSX is able to support ultrawide for example.

I went digital on my games the first moment I could for the impracticality of disks and kids not damaging or losing. You can get digital sales that are far cheaper than new prices even on platform stores. Just have to exercise patience. If they would have went through with the digital push last gen this would be even less of an issue.

Indeed, many people assume Sony is like Nintendo and never have decent sales on their 1st party games, but I've seen games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Until Dawn (both great games in their own right) for under $10 (sometimes $6) several times on the PSN store. I actually got HZD only a few months after it launched for like $33 on sale on the PSN store as well.

I like to revisit games occasionally, so I don't like selling them and not being able to play them again even if a lot of them I don't revisit. But I've went all digital just out of convenience of not having to keep track of and change disks, esp. with kids around that inevitably lose and break them or between moving ever few years (military). Same for the Switch since I know my kids would lose a bunch of those game carts. But I actually plan on still getting the disk version of the PS5 mostly for 4K movies since I never got a dedicated player for one and my son commandeered the Xbone to his room. But otherwise I'd be just fine with a digital-only console just as I have been on PC since 2005 or so.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
Back