*confirmed RX 64 Launch pricing was only for "early sales" Is AMD's RX Vega 64's MSRP 449.99 a lie

Here is some juicy news about AMD deceptive pricing .................t seems the Vega 56 and 64 cards will cost more than the gtx1070 and 1080.

“£449 is not possible, $499 is below what they cost us direct from the board partners by a large chunk of cash, AMD rebated us to hit $499 on a set amount of units. As such $599 is now the minimum”.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...-gibson-clears-up-rx-vega64-pricing-disaster/

Here is some juicy news about AMD deceptive pricing .................t seems the Vega 56 and 64 cards will cost more than the gtx1070 and 1080.

“£449 is not possible, $499 is below what they cost us direct from the board partners by a large chunk of cash, AMD rebated us to hit $499 on a set amount of units. As such $599 is now the minimum”.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...-gibson-clears-up-rx-vega64-pricing-disaster/
So they are buying cards directly from AMD?

With this being HBM2 (cricitally higher rated BW die for Vega64) and the additional hardware implemented tbh I would not be that surprised if the price increased, I guess time will tell what margins AMD had at $499 for Vega64.
This will be sort of be confirmed eitther way by what happens with Vega56 a couple weeks after its launch as its margins would be pretty similar, although it is using the lower BW rated HBM2 and that may have a little bit of wriggle room.
Cheers

The HBM2 chips are exactly the same. One is simply over volted and overclocked. 1.20V vs 1.35V etc.

The HBM2 chips are exactly the same. One is simply over volted and overclocked. 1.20V vs 1.35V etc.

Not sure about that tbh because I read reports to get the higher speed the spec needs higher voltage, does not mean it is the same 1.6Gbps spec rated die as the 1.75Gbps or higher ones.
Same way GDDR4/GDDR5 and GDDR5X needs higher voltage as the speed increases, but does not mean they are all the same DRAM manufactured with same tolerances and yield.
Cheers

Not sure about that tbh because I read reports to get the higher speed the spec needs higher voltage, does not mean it is the same 1.6Gbps spec rated die as the 1.75Gbps or higher ones.
Same way GDDR4 needs higher voltage as the speed increases, but does not mean they are all the same DRAM spec rating manufactured.
Cheers

There is no chips as they use. They simply over volted and overclocked existing. And HBM2 standard is 1.20V.

There is no chips as they use. They simply over volted and overclocked existing.
If that was the case Nvidia could had run their HBM2 comfortably at 2Gbps rather than 1.6Gbps at launch or 1.75Gbps like now.
Not all the manufacturered dies have the same tolerances and higher spec.
In theory then people should be able to OC their GDDR5x to 1.4Gbps no problems and HBM2 memory to 2Gbps on Vega or P100/V100.
Cheers

If that was the case Nvidia could had run their HBM2 comfortably at 2Gbps rather than 1.6Gbps at launch or 1.75Gbps like now.
Not all the manufacturered dies have the same tolerances and higher spec.
Cheers

Why would Nvidia run overclocked and over volted chips on their P100 and V100? That´s simply insane.

Why would Nvidia run overclocked and over volted chips on their P100 and V100? That´s simply insane.
Because the HBM2 spec is to 2Gbps, and the manufacturers were initially saying they could do this before reality set in.
Same way GDDR5X is rated to 16Gb/s and memory manufacturers were confident this was going to be achievable early, but probably only see 14Gb/s by end of year mass production and currently just attained 12Gb/s and launched at only 10Gb/s spec rating.
Cheers

Because the HBM2 spec is to 2Gbps, and the manufacturers were initially saying they could do this before reality set in.
Same way GDDR5X is rated to 1.6Gbps, but probably only see 1.4Gbps by end of year mass production.
Cheers

But there is no 2Ghz chips. A 2Ghz HBM2 chip would run at 1.20V whenever it comes, not at 1.35V.

Nobody sells 1.35V HBM2 chips. Just as nobody sells 1.35V DDR4 chips, That's something someone else over volt.

But there is no 2Ghz chips. A 2Ghz HBM2 chip would run at 1.20V whenever it comes, not at 1.35V.

Nobody sells 1.35V HBM2 chips. Just as nobody sells 1.35V DDR4 chips, That's something someone else over volt.
Same way GDDR5X could only do 10Gb/s at launch, now up to 12Gb/s, indicators 14Gb/s at end of year.
Fair to say there was no die above 10Gb/s at launch for GDDR5X in same way your context of HBM2.
Cheers

Well you could say they are overclocking then because the V100 has HBM at 1.8Gbps.
So why now and not with P100, simplist answer is that Samsung could only do 1.6Gbps at launch, these days that rating-tolerance-yield is probably the cheapest HBM2 memory and why at that in Vega56.
But maybe this is semantics because it is not overclocking to me if it is within the standards spec, and HBM2 has a rating to 2Gbps.
Cheers

Same way GDDR5X could only do 10Gb/s at launch, now up to 12Gb/s, indicators 14Gb/s at end of year.
Fair to say there was no die above 10Gb/s at launch for GDDR5X in same way your context of HBM2.
Cheers

But you are asking for 16Ghz GDDR5X yesterday. See the issue?

This is why AMD is over volting and overclocking the HBM2 because they underestimated the delivery ability and went with 2 stacks instead of 3 or 4.

And for the real 1.8Ghz? In short, AMD cant afford it and why it only goes to 10000$+ parts.

But you are asking for 16Ghz GDDR5X yesterday. See the issue?
I think we are possbly at cross communication/perspectives.
The situation with GDDR5X mirrors that of HBM2 IMO with regards to what was expected, what was actually available, what is definitely coming that is closer to the standards spec ceiling.
Cheers

Lol VEGA is such a fat fail. $100 more than Nvidia and the same or slower over a year later? Come on AMD, just sell your graphics division. No one except fanboy miners will buy this crap. No longer competitive at this price point and when Volta drops you're completely done.

Why the hell would you pay $700 for a liquid cooled Vega 64 when you can buy a 1080ti which completely destroys it? Lol lol lol. I literally want to smack / back hand AMD for their stupidity.

Lets see how the old press guys AMD just hired react to this.......

If they just keep their mouth shut, then we know, they don't give a crap about what they did before and all under AMD's umbrella now.

Well if the price also increases with the same comments from retailers after 1-2 weeks launch for Vega56 it does put more validity that the early launch price is cutting margins to the bones.
I was just being impartial rather than over-reacting.
Cheers
Please stop signing every one of your posts with "Cheers." Put it in your signature line if it is that important. It is in the rules.
(25) You are allowed ONE SIGNATURE every post, do not put your signature or other redundant phrases in the closing body of your post. A signature section is supplied for that usage. No one wants to see your name or anything else on your posts multiple times as it is annoying.

Thanks for the constructive response Kyle...
As the subject has changed I assume you agree.

As a constructive response back:
Maybe add to (25).. Do not bother being polite signing off ones post with thanks/cheers/LOL/etc.
If you do not like the rules, do not post on our forums. Pretty simple. Don't get your panties in a wad about it, this actually applies to everyone.

As the subject has changed I assume you agree.
No, I just realize that talking to you more about it is not going to educated you on the subject, so I am going to shut up and go on my my way. When you are saying things like "sort of confirmed" I know there is not reason to further argue the point. Circumstantial evidence is not evidence. I have been heavily involved in the entire ecosystem around GPUs and and video card sales both retail and channel for a couple of decades now, if you do not understand my explanation of what is going on, certainly you have the right to ignore that. Just like I have the right to no further comment on your arguments.

I have not, but rule 25 did not make it clear to also include not using polite phrasing signing ones post off.
Just raising it because you are now saying it falls foul of rule 25 being polite signing ones post of with thanks/cheers.
Hence my constructive response as you seem irritated by polite thanks/cheers.
Thanks for your input. When we see the rules being broken and we think that someone may not be aware of the rule surrounding that, we take the time to explain it to them. Not sure what the big deal is.

It's times like these that I seriously start consider becoming a console gamer even if I'm the guy who would never even have considered the idea in the past. I hate minining price inflation and these insane pricing tactics of lately, it just makes me upset that I have no real desire to buy a new GPU... I wish everyone would just mass boycott the GPU manufacturers but how's that going to be possible when the miners just keep buying whatever they can as long as the profitability is positive.

PC gaming is fucked up more than it's ever been.

Can it be a small launch, evaluate if there is any major issue then release more? Better then releasing tons of cards and ending up recalling them all. Anyways I've have seen no major hardware issues with the launch, the reference cards look to be very high quality. Drivers could always use much work on a new card.

https://videocardz.com/72123/amd-issues-official-statement-regarding-radeon-rx-vega-64-pricing

Radeon RX Vega 64 demand continues to exceed expectations. AMD is working closely with its partners to address this demand. Our initial launch quantities included standalone Radeon RX Vega 64 at SEP of $499, Radeon RX Vega 64 Black Packs at SEP of $599, and Radeon RX Vega 64 Aqua Packs at SEP of $699. We are working with our partners to restock all SKUs of Radeon RX Vega 64 including the standalone cards and Gamer Packs over the next few weeks, and you should expect quantities of Vega to start arriving in the coming days.

I would like to know how many cards were available on launch day? Does not sound like much at all making the above statement rather disingenuous or pretentious.

Hey they stated the same things about r290 lol, and we know it did shit for their marketshare ;)

I would like to know how many cards were available on launch day? Does not sound like much at all making the above statement rather disingenuous or pretentious.

Rumours before launch talked about 15-20K cards for the rest of the year more or less.

Back